Not guilty

Throttled

Today I was found not guilty of assault at Paisley Sheriff Court. The sheriff decided that going into a cell and stopping a prisoner from killing himself by pushing him off balance so that he let go of the ligature around his neck, resulting in no injury (apart from the self inflicted one) is not assault. Some of my former police colleagues had decided, for reasons that I want explained, that it is was an assault. There is no training provided by the police as what to do in such circumstances, you just have to do your best and what you think is right.

A number of you know about this case, that has been hanging over me since April 2014. So I thought I would pass on the good news. More details in my blog :cheers:

Good stuff mate. Can you now go the other way and sue the CPS?

I now have four complaints about Police Scotland and one about the Crown Office Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) submitted, all relating to this case. I would like compensation, but I would really like the police to start to train all officers and custody staff on what to do when they find someone trying to self harm or kill them self and for Police Scotland and COPFS to follow their own procedures when investigating allegations.

Pleased for you Throttled, a good result.

What were you supposed to do, stand around and do nothing :roll:

Can not for the life of me see why this was ever bought to court.

Good grief what a load of unnecessary stress :-(

How come this never got thrown out long before it ever got to court? :scratch:

What a rough time for you, but at least the beak came up with the right decision.

According to one of the main witnesses, a member of custody staff, yes I should have stood and watched him and do nothing until more assistance arrived. He works part time and had less than a years service at that time. I had 25 years service, often working on my own in rural offices where you not only looked after prisoners but you also answered the phone and dealt with any callers at the office. He criticised me in court, saying that I had ignored him and gone it on the cell on my own against his advice. :shock:

Good grief what a load of unnecessary stress :-(

How come this never got thrown out long before it ever got to court? :scratch:

What a rough time for you, but at least the beak came up with the right decision.

I suspect targets were being met, justice be damned!

According to one of the main witnesses, a member of custody staff, yes I should have stood and watched him and do nothing until more assistance arrived. He works part time and had less than a years service at that time. I had 25 years service, often working on my own in rural offices where you not only looked after prisoners but you also answered the phone and dealt with any callers at the office. He criticised me in court, saying that I had ignored him and gone it on the cell on my own against his advice. :shock:

He's a f**kwit.

Today I was found not guilty of assault at Paisley Sheriff Court. The sheriff decided that going into a cell and stopping a prisoner from killing himself by pushing him off balance so that he let go of the ligature around his neck, resulting in no injury (apart from the self inflicted one) is not assault. Some of my former police colleagues had decided, for reasons that I want explained, that it is was an assault. There is no training provided by the police as what to do in such circumstances, you just have to do your best and what you think is right.

A number of you know about this case, that has been hanging over me since April 2014. So I thought I would pass on the good news. More details in my blog :cheers:

Glad to hear a sensible decision has been reached- the job must be hard enough without having to be put through this undeserved stress

He is the subject of one of my complaints. I cannot decide if I should go for neglect of duty which is in the police regulations, or cowardice, which is not, but it is what he is.

Both

Bloody hell mate! Glad to hear somebody finally engaged their brain, and sorted this out. Well done on the quick initial thinking too :thumb:

Where did common sense go? People seem to be very quick at passing the book instead of actually thinking for themself now. Complain about everything you can mate, im sure they were not bothered about causing you the stress, after all you did the right thing :cheers:

In agreement with all here, stupid that it even had to come to this but so glad it's all over and you can breath easy :D

You're a gentle giant and we all know this, you did the right thing x