Kawa ER5 2004: Bike cutting out when I engage first gear

Aerodyll

Hi guys,

So recently when I get on the bike first thing it just won't engage first gear. I start it up, let it warm up, clutch in, first gear selected then when I release the clutch while applying some throttle it cuts out. It does this three or four times generally before it will actually engage gear properly.

It has also done this when I have travelled ten miles down the road and stopped at traffic lights, when I try to set off again it cuts out as if the kickstand is down. Today it has started doing this when I am moving too, I will set off in first, change up to second and then the bike will jerk violently as if I have opened the kickstand or something. Most of the time when it does this it won't stall just do a big jerk then back to normal but it has once done this and stalled and I ended up coasting the bike to the side of the road.

I assumed that when it wouldn't engage first gear it was just the kickstand switch that was either sticking or broken but now it is jerking when moving slowly it makes me wonder.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

A

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Check all the ignition circuit wiring, wd40 all the connections and switches. Operate the ignition and cutout switches multiple times.

Bypass the side stand switch to rule it out

I would go for this .

They can be very intermittent in their working

Use wd or cleaner

Pull the switch plunger all the way out as they can stick in and jiggle making partial contact with vibrations.

So guys, little update. Apologies for my terminology here, it's quite hard to explain this clearly.

So I disconnected the sidestand switch. Pulled the two plastic blocks apart. I squirted some WD40 in there and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Let it dry for a bit then reconnected it and tried to start the bike. It starts up fine, I let it warm up then clutch in and selected first gear.

As soon as I select first gear before I release the clutch it dies. It does this every time without fail now.

My next move is to remove the connectors from the plastic blocks and give them a wipe and hope I haven' f'ed things up permanently. I didn't do this originally as the manual didn't really show you how to do this so I just kind of smushed advice from here with what I had on hand and I think in retrospect did something a bit daft. I found some new info online that shows how to get the connectors out of the block so I will give that a go next.

Just out of curiosity, the way it is dying now before I release the clutch, do you reckon it is still just the kickstand switch?

Thanks,

Did find corrosion on connectors a nightmare on ER5, I ended up having to use mini wire brush on dremal to clean a lot down.

If not corroded then the bypassing the switch for now (disconnect and use bit of wire or paper clip to join the terminals on plug) if it then works then it's switch itself.

So guys, little update. Apologies for my terminology here, it's quite hard to explain this clearly.

So I disconnected the sidestand switch. Pulled the two plastic blocks apart. I squirted some WD40 in there and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Let it dry for a bit then reconnected it and tried to start the bike. It starts up fine, I let it warm up then clutch in and selected first gear.

As soon as I select first gear before I release the clutch it dies. It does this every time without fail now.

My next move is to remove the connectors from the plastic blocks and give them a wipe and hope I haven' f'ed things up permanently. I didn't do this originally as the manual didn't really show you how to do this so I just kind of smushed advice from here with what I had on hand and I think in retrospect did something a bit daft. I found some new info online that shows how to get the connectors out of the block so I will give that a go next.

Just out of curiosity, the way it is dying now before I release the clutch, do you reckon it is still just the kickstand switch?

Thanks,

So ... This is where the WD40 " debate " originated ! Clean the contacts with contact cleaner not some greasy household lubricant that was designed ( after 39 failed attempts ) as a Water Dispersant . Alternatively use methylated spirit and very fine emery paper. I have an ER5 and it sounds like a faulty side stand switch to me but it might be the switch itself rather than the connection. Another thing to check is the clutch lock-out switch of course. Good luck!

The best thing I have ever found for cleaning electrical connectors is a citric acid solution. You can buy the crystals from your local chemist. The solution cleans connectors very well.

However, the fact that your intermittent problem is now more permanent suggests the sidestand switch is the issue. It may be a break in a wire which by disconnecting it you've knocked a bit. Fiddly to check but with a multimeter you ought be able to track it down.

Be wary of using WD40 on some plastic connectors, it can degrade certain plastics, eg some caravan towing connects break up very quickly if doused with WD40. I have no idea if the connector blocks on your bike would be affected, just had other kinds suffer damage.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. In retrospect I wish I hadn't used WD40, but wasn't really thinking. Funnily enough though after letting it dry for a day I tried it and it worked perfectly. This lasted for a few days as it tried to buck me off on a slip road off the M1 today. I don't know if this is to do with the sidestand switch, clutch switch or even (the bucking me off while riding at slow speed specifically) something to do with the gears.

I am going to replace the two switches and see how it goes.

If this doesn't work I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a new Versys 650. I'm sure I could learn to live with it...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. In retrospect I wish I hadn't used WD40, but wasn't really thinking. Funnily enough though after letting it dry for a day I tried it and it worked perfectly. This lasted for a few days as it tried to buck me off on a slip road off the M1 today. I don't know if this is to do with the sidestand switch, clutch switch or even (the bucking me off while riding at slow speed specifically) something to do with the gears.

I am going to replace the two switches and see how it goes.

If this doesn't work I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a new Versys 650. I'm sure I could learn to live with it...

Well if you want to give it away I'll have it 😉

I don't think you can open the plastic block to bypass them. If there is another way I'm afraid I don't know how to do it.

Anyway, I bought the new bike, so will just replace the switch, see if it's fixed and move it on I reckon.

Curious to see how much I can get for it once I clean it up and get it running again.

Thanks for your help.

B