Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Guest Speedy23

smart looking bike but never really liked the dual braking set up I think other makes do it as well

I've had SP1000 1980 which I tuned up (B1 cam and 36mm pumpers, LM breather box, Lafranconi zorst, lightened flywheel etc.) and converted to LM1-ish clone - LM nose fairing, clip-ons, rearsets, LM tank/sidepanels & seat) spec (this was in 1984, BTW). Linked brakes were fine - pedal worked rear and LH front caliper via a splitter. But that was a different generation - I am interested in any post 2010 experience.

Interestingly, brake setup copied by Yamaha on the FJR.....

smart looking bike but never really liked the dual braking set up I think other makes do it as well

I've had SP1000 1980 which I tuned up (B1 cam and 36mm pumpers, LM breather box, Lafranconi zorst, lightened flywheel etc.) and converted to LM1-ish clone - LM nose fairing, clip-ons, rearsets, LM tank/sidepanels & seat) spec (this was in 1984, BTW). Linked brakes were fine - pedal worked rear and LH front caliper via a splitter. But that was a different generation - I am interested in any post 2010 experience.

Sounds gay .

Sounds gay .

😂Lol

Sounds gay .

What, light-hearted and carefree. Just what you need on a bike.

Sounds gay .

What, light-hearted and carefree. Just what you need on a bike.

No I mean leather hot pants , a massive well groomed moustache and instead of the biker nod ... blowing kisses .

No I mean leather hot pants , a massive well groomed moustache and instead of the biker nod ... blowing kisses .

Sounds like standard Six30 weekend attire to me

Thursday nights :thumb:

I lost all faith in Moto Guzzi when I arranged a test ride on an 1100 Breva demo bike at what was then the local dealership. Its since stopped selling the brand. I turned up and the bike was wheeled out to me and then refused to start!! This was not a battery issue as the starter motor turned over without any problem. After 20 minutes faffing about trying to get it started the bike was wheeled back inside and I was asked to call them after lunch. I didn't bother. I realise this is just one bike at one dealership, but, for crying out loud. If nothing else a Demo bike should be problem free. But no. And after that I have never given any Guzzi of the modern era a thought.

Only (semi-direct) experience i have with the Stelvio, fella that lives opposite me used to work for Pidcocks and they took one in as a trade-in. They had nothing but problems with it trying to get it in a fit state to sell in their at the time, second hand bike dealership. In the end they gave up and sent it to a trade auction. It went.. but the electrics to the dashboard where all over the place. things worked then stopped then worked again. This was perhaps 4 years ago or so.

The chap really liked it. And even considered buying it and putting the gremlins aside. In the end he didn't and bought a very trick Ducati 750SS

I know of another chap who has one, bought as a brand new model bike 10 or more years ago, and has been all over Europe on it and, aside from paying to get it "properly set-up". which some dealers do not do. he has had no problems with it at all. And as far as I'm aware, he still has it. Though i haven't seen him for a few years.

I had a 2008 that had had the tappets done under warranty. I sort of had a love hate relationship with it. Very comfortable, pulled like a train and sounded great. Had a laminar lip on the screen and weather protection was excellent.

Very heavy and holds weight up high. Sidestand slightly short so getting it off the stand on a camber could be a pain and I once made the mistake of parking downhill facing a fence on a gravel slope. Pushing the bike up the slope to turn it round was interesting. Throttle slightly snatchy in first. Checking oil was a pain as you had to unbolt a panel to get to the dipstick. Fairly vibey but not so that it bothered me.

I had problems once after going through water on a flooded road. Display went funny and bike ran rough so got recovered. Never had the issue again afterwards in rain or anything, although the guy I sold it to had a reoccurrence of the display going blank when he was riding in heavy rain.

The guy who bought it from me mentioned an issue with the fuel tanks on the newer one but can't remember what the problem was.

Worth a look, some people love them but wasn't for me in the end.

“The guy who bought it from me mentioned an issue with the fuel tanks on the newer one but can't remember what the problem was”

The fuel tanks on newer Guzzi’s are plastic and they swell up after a few years, some so much once you take it off it’s impossible to line the rear mounting bolt up again.

“The guy who bought it from me mentioned an issue with the fuel tanks on the newer one but can't remember what the problem was”

The fuel tanks on newer Guzzi’s are plastic and they swell up after a few years, some so much once you take it off it’s impossible to line the rear mounting bolt up again.

Yep that was it :thumb:

Thanks who all who replied (except the person who is, by their own admission, living in the closet. Why don't you just come out and admit the truth? We don't care.).

Wasn't aware of the swelling plastic issue - I will do some research. Thanks for the headsup.

Going to see a new TT on Wednesday as the NTX I was interested in has gone.

Will report back.