Corona virus projects

Bender

[mention]Ian Frog[/mention] You are right, I've just looked and they are on ebay for around £20. I always assumed sandblasting gear was north of a hundred. Guess I'll just pick one of them up and modify the tool cabinet instead :thumb:

I've just made a plastic frame to keep birds off grass seed where I put decking in garden, think I may have gotten a bit carried away.

Grass seed box said enough for 27sq meters, I appear to have covered 1.5sq meters and used 2/3rds of it, one of us us wrong 😂

My first two houses had wooden Georgian style windows. I absolutely hated them. They were a purple bitch to paint and the damned starlings used to eat the.putty. I've no idea why. In those days I was too poor to replace the windows with PVC double glazing.

Fortunately the current house has the best plastic windows money can buy. Winner. :mrgreen:

@Ian Frog You are right, I've just looked and they are on ebay for around £20. I always assumed sandblasting gear was north of a hundred. Guess I'll just pick one of them up and modify the tool cabinet instead :thumb:

Just check the CFM usage, some of them need a big compressor and a high cfm to work, a gravity fed like the diy one will work on a lower cfm :thumb:

@Ian Frog You are right, I've just looked and they are on ebay for around £20. I always assumed sandblasting gear was north of a hundred. Guess I'll just pick one of them up and modify the tool cabinet instead :thumb:

Just check the CFM usage, some of them need a big compressor and a high cfm to work, a gravity fed like the diy one will work on a lower cfm :thumb:

#Dynax has a very good point which I would have overlooked as I have a 50ltr compressor.

Cheers

Ian

I have one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bench-Top-Sand-Blasting-Cabinet-Small-90-Blast-Cabinet-for-blasting-smaller-part/253688331831?hash=item3b1100be37:g:9v0AAOSwjgZc9ttI

Not had chance to use it yet as I got it just before I went on sick so couldn't justify spending money on media etc

Assume you have big enough compressor, this cabinet requires 100 psi @14cfm :thumb:

I have one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bench-Top-Sand-Blasting-Cabinet-Small-90-Blast-Cabinet-for-blasting-smaller-part/253688331831?hash=item3b1100be37:g:9v0AAOSwjgZc9ttI

Not had chance to use it yet as I got it just before I went on sick so couldn't justify spending money on media etc

Assume you have big enough compressor, this cabinet requires 100 psi @14cfm :thumb:

The figures are wrong in the add :wink: but yes its big enough if not I have to buy a present :D

The destructions state 100 psi and 8cfm

I have one of these

That seems quite a modest demand I would be more concerned it was big enough to get the bits I want to clean inside.

But seems good value actually and I would worry how much I would spend trying to make what ends up as an inferior effort !

Even better if it`s 8cfm.

Cheers

Ian

I have one of these

That seems quite a modest demand I would be more concerned it was big enough to get the bits I want to clean inside.

But seems good value actually and I would worry how much I would spend trying to make what ends up as an inferior effort !

Even better if it`s 8cfm.

Cheers

Ian

The size isn't too bad to be honest when you bear in mind its is used for small parts so engine casings are an easy fit

People get scared of the requirements when it comes to cfm! the cfm required is if your going to be doing continuous use so the compressor doesn't lose pressure

I have an impact gun rated at 14cfm but never had a problem with pressure as you don't use it for prolonged periods couple of whacks and the bolt is off and the compressor may kick in after longer use but by that point I have already decided that the bolt isn't moving and will probably need plenty of heat

I'm looking at this. Only £20, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-COMPRESSOR-PNEUMATIC-SANDBLASTER-SANDBLASTING-GUN-SAND-BLASTER-BLAST-KIT/293410935085?hash=item4450a7912d:g:rNMAAOSw1adeE0Sf

1528512409_Screenshot2020-04-16at19_28_16.png.06b912e6c92cf3e6ed6e9d56661948eb.png

Gravity fed, 7cfm, 90psi so well within my compressor specs. Anyway i wont be doing anything serious with it, I've watched a few videos and it looks very therapeutic to do :)

I'm looking at this. Only £20, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-COMPRESSOR-PNEUMATIC-SANDBLASTER-SANDBLASTING-GUN-SAND-BLASTER-BLAST-KIT/293410935085?hash=item4450a7912d:g:rNMAAOSw1adeE0Sf

Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 19.28.16.png

Gravity fed, 7cfm, 90psi so well within my compressor specs. Anyway i wont be doing anything serious with it, I've watched a few videos and it looks very therapeutic to do :)

That looks a neat little unit ! Certainly better than mine.

Where did you get it from?

You are correct it can be very therapeutic and cause you to look around just for things to do lol.

Cheers

Ian

What to do with your sandblasted items, next will be diy powder coating in the oven :thumb:

I had to google :lol:

How hot does the oven need to be for powder coating?

350° to 375° F

Normally, the object is heated to 350° to 375° F (175° to 190° C) for about 10 to 15 minutes, and allowed to cool. You can use a conventional oven to powder coat smaller items. Just be sure that you won't be using the oven to cook food after the powder coating.

What to do with your sandblasted items, next will be diy powder coating in the oven :thumb:

DIY powder coating during enforced lockdown !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forsee a lot of money earned by divorce lawyers and appliance suppliers at the end of this lol.

I speak as a man who has been caught using the dishwasher (Not the parlour maid lol) on more than one occasion.

Cheers

Ian

So whoever has done this before, what sort of grit should I be looking at? :?:

not used any myself but i would get a couple of grit sizes 40 for heavily coated and maybe a 60/80 for some finer items :thumb:

What material are you cleaning i.e steel, ali etc.

Most media suppliers will list suitability for you.

Cheers

Ian

There is way too many factors to think about

What you're removing what materiel you're blasting what finish you want :blah:

Yes the stuff I cleaned paint off some alloy wheels didn't touch the rust on some patio furniture that had sat outside a pub for years.

But can you imagine the damage if those had been the other way round lol.

'Stu is spot on do your research before opening your wallet or blasting holes in important parts.

Cheers

Ian

[mention]Ian Frog[/mention] I was told by somebody who was very clever about these sort of things that its perfectly safe to put parts in the dishwasher as the chemicals in the tablets/powder are strong enough to dissolve any oils or grease etc :thumb:

Never put anything aluminum in though. It gets a bad reaction and for want of a better word, 'sweats' a black inky substance which takes ages to scrub away. Guess what my wifes paddles on her electric mixer are made out of :roll:

371441132_Screenshot2020-04-16at19_54_05.png.6f787088494aaba094c1c22532167402.png