Honda CBR 400RR NC23 1989 Hurricane restoration

Guest Swagman

Has the bike had a good long run since it was recommissioned, it will need to have a good long run getting it up to temperature, the smoke could be the rings are still slightly stuck in the piston which should release with use, the miss fire may also clear up with a good ride once you get it off choke the smoke may clear also, plus in these temperatures a lot coming out of the pipe could be condensation, basically it needs to be ridden.

5 hours ago, gymwitch said:

Doing a lot of smoking. Its been running for 10 mins. Had a bit of bother starting it but i think theres a sweet spot with choke ect...that i need to fathom because when you get it right she's away. How long would you leave it ticking over? Clearly i cant ride it yet. Any advice is much appreciated as always. 

Funny really cos now i feel ive bitten off more than i can chew. 😳

are you sure that smoke isn't steam as it has been standing for a fair while it could be that plus you have started it in the cold weather

• Like 1

Hi @gymwitch, I would say like @skyrider @Tiggie, say it's probably only condensation, but i also think that the motor sounds like it's misfiring at the bottom end like @WD-40 said.

When you did the carbs did your friend balance them, and also did she play with the mixture screw's when putting them back together?

A little trick I use sometimes is when I first fire up a engine, after 10 seconds or so, shut motor off and carefully touch the top of header pipes, they should all be the same heat!

If they are different then you will have to figure out which ones need to be either richened up or leaned down, the hottest is lean, coolest is rich.

Going to try and upload a Video of mine starting this morning, not been started or run for about 8-10 weeks!! and never done any video uploads!!!

• Like 1

Hi @skyrider, Yes only condensation, this is my CBR400RR, just showing @gymwitch, that she probably worried about nothing, on her CBR400RR just needs a good run out.

Mine was laid up for 8 years, and now runs fine!! 

One other thing @gymwitch, near the end of Video I turn fuel off, then wait till pump starts clicking, before switching off. just helps starting if carbs are low on fuel.

But I only use mine occasionally.

• Like 1

Oh thanks guys. You are a great bunch 🥰 @oldgrump thank you for the vid. I think im worrying over nothing. It was a bugger to start today but ive been out 3 times since and it starts first time. Thanks for those tips about the headers !!! Yes the carbs were balanced. I think my tick over need turning up listening to yours though.

Thanks guys its invaluable to be able to get on here and ask questions !!! 

Happy new year all !!!

Edited by gymwitch
  • Like 1

Guest Richzx6r
1 hour ago, gymwitch said:

Oh thanks guys. You are a great bunch 🥰 @oldgrump thank you for the vid. I think im worrying over nothing. It was a bugger to start today but ive been out 3 times since and it starts first time. Thanks for those tips about the headers !!! Yes the carbs were balanced. I think my tick over need turning up listening to yours though.

Thanks guys its invaluable to be able to get on here and ask questions !!! 

Happy new year all !!!

If you need it running around I'd be more than happy to ride down and turn its wheels for 15 minutes 

Guest Richzx6r
43 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

Im not sure what the joke is about ICE ?? Would be great to have a meet up when im legally able !!! 

Internal combustion engine is ICE 

On 01/01/2021 at 11:23, oldgrump said:

Hi @gymwitch, I would say like @skyrider @Tiggie, say it's probably only condensation, but i also think that the motor sounds like it's misfiring at the bottom end like @WD-40 said.

When you did the carbs did your friend balance them, and also did she play with the mixture screw's when putting them back together?

A little trick I use sometimes is when I first fire up a engine, after 10 seconds or so, shut motor off and carefully touch the top of header pipes, they should all be the same heat!

If they are different then you will have to figure out which ones need to be either richened up or leaned down, the hottest is lean, coolest is rich.

Going to try and upload a Video of mine starting this morning, not been started or run for about 8-10 weeks!! and never done any video uploads!!!

2 pipes are hot and 2 are stone cold