Honda CBR 400RR NC23 1989 Hurricane restoration

24 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

Seems like you are getting there with her, I hope you doing your license doesn't take till the end of the century due to this china virus 

Its not looking good is it 😒

Sounds way better in the flesh. As Angela was riding her round the block i said to her other half that i bet she says she wants to keep it when she comes back. Thats why we were laughing at the end.  Shame its so dark. Never mind, hopefully a few nice days out on the horizon !!!

Edited by gymwitch
  • Like 3

Soooo the forks are proving a bit of a problem 😡 having said that its why it failed its last MOT so they have been compromised and sat out for years. Getting them sorted though. Waiting for bush kit to arrive now. Looks like my test will be cancelled too 😔 waiting for the lockdown hammer to fall on us all any day now. 

18 minutes ago, Bender said:

Soon be back on the road sorted👍 

Its beginning to feel like its never going to happen 🙄 *chants to self...must stay positive, must stay positive, mustopenanotherstella ohhh wrong chant 😬

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, gymwitch said:

Its beginning to feel like its never going to happen 🙄 *chants to self...must stay positive, must stay positive, mustopenanotherstella ohhh wrong chant 😬

never mind it will soon be christmas then you can pull a cracker 🎄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gymwitch said:

I hope it has a fork kit and a correct back tyre in this ere cracker !!! 🤣

well you never know what you are going to get on christmas day :thumb:

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 1

She's coming home!!!! Whooooop. Have to wait for hubs to finish work before i can get her. Very frustrating 😩 i cant wait till she is tucked up in the shed where she belongs.

The chap who has done the forks is a bit concerned about the smoke she puts out but then she hasnt had a run yet.....hope thats all it is. Still waiting for docs so as soon as they come i can nab someone to take her out for me. Our tests are the 4th and 8th i think but then theres bj's tier bs looming over us.  I hope we can get our tests in first and not fail of course !!! 

This whole thing has been nothing but suspense !!! Well for me it has. Feels a bit more real now. The rebel in me wants to go and get her and ride her home....its only 4 miles away......🤔 @skyrider you busy??? Fancy breaking the law with me ?? 😬 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gymwitch said:

She's coming home!!!! Whooooop. Have to wait for hubs to finish work before i can get her. Very frustrating 😩 i cant wait till she is tucked up in the shed where she belongs.

The chap who has done the forks is a bit concerned about the smoke she puts out but then she hasnt had a run yet.....hope thats all it is. Still waiting for docs so as soon as they come i can nab someone to take her out for me. Our tests are the 4th and 8th i think but then theres bj's tier bs looming over us.  I hope we can get our tests in first and not fail of course !!! 

This whole thing has been nothing but suspense !!! Well for me it has. Feels a bit more real now. The rebel in me wants to go and get her and ride her home....its only 4 miles away......🤔 @skyrider you busy??? Fancy breaking the law with me ?? 😬 

sorry only just seen your post 🤫

• Like 1

Doing a lot of smoking. Its been running for 10 mins. Had a bit of bother starting it but i think theres a sweet spot with choke ect...that i need to fathom because when you get it right she's away. How long would you leave it ticking over? Clearly i cant ride it yet. Any advice is much appreciated as always. 

Funny really cos now i feel ive bitten off more than i can chew. 😳

Edited by gymwitch

I am not one of the mechanically sound people. I have all the mechanical skills of a sea anemone.

my bike would sound like that unless it was getting the chance to run fully, to warm up enough for the choke (or in my case enricher) to not be needed for smooth running. Is the choke on whilst it’s smoking? Wouldn’t that make it a bit Smokey? Have you got anyone can drive it around for twenty minutes?

• Like 1

I think as James said you need to give it a proper ride to know for sure where it's at. It could be because the weather is cold and it's not up to temperature. You can usually smell if it's burning oil. If it's burning coolant it has a sweet smell. If it's rich with fuel your nose and eyes will be irritated. You could hold a kitchen paper towel over the end of the exhaust and rev the engine, see what's coming out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WD-40 said:

I think as James said you need to give it a proper ride to know for sure where it's at. It could be because the weather is cold and it's not up to temperature. You can usually smell if it's burning oil. If it's burning coolant it has a sweet smell. If it's rich with fuel your nose and eyes will be irritated. You could hold a kitchen paper towel over the end of the exhaust and rev the engine, see what's coming out.

Definitely irritating my eyes !!! @James in Brum i just said that to my OH. I really could do with someone to run it round for a bit.

@WD-40 as i cant run it properly am i doing more harm than good starting it and leaving it ticking over?

Whats the best thing to do?? 

Yes it had half choke on and was running at 1500 revs so smoking probs expected. I will do the paper towel thing and see. Thanks guys 😊

There's different opinions on whether it's best to start it or not. If I'm parking a bike I usually don't start it. I just take the battery out and charge it now and then to keep it in good condition. Do whatever you think is best yourself. If you're running it with the choke on and the weather is cold it might explain the smoke. Is it not idling when you take it off choke?

See in the video where your friend is riding it. I could be wrong but to me it sounds like it's misfiring a bit when she is pulling away or is going from idle to under load. Then it pulls hard after she gets past the misfire. When I had that in the past it was arcing from the spark plug caps and a set of NGK caps sorted it. They are cheap. Not sure if you've changed yours?

I'd be interested if others can hear a misfire as she's pulling away or is it just me?

• Like 1