Honda CBR 400RR NC23 1989 Hurricane restoration

Don't worry, the mod team on here won't allow anything to happen to you :thumb:

how fecking stupid can a person be? probably thinks a bike runs on fairy dust and unicorn wishes!!

• Haha 1

OOPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just where do you want to start ??

Cheers

Ian

P.S Thanks for fessing up I know for a fact there are some so called hardened experts on here who wouldn`t have displayed such testicular fortitude !

🍻

• Haha 1

Guest Richzx6r
1 hour ago, gymwitch said:

Its amazing what fuel does to an engine......

Im off now and wont be back on this forum until all the piss taking has finished....see you all in a few years.

😳😩🙄

No piss taking here we all want to help and see you get her back on the road 

Been messing with the tick over (after i found the knob) and conflabbing with @oldgrump and this is where she's at,   at the moment....still lumpy but ticking over a little better. There is the tiniest bit of choke on at this point. 

6 hours ago, gymwitch said:

@skyridernot great but getting there. If i get her road legal you wanna take her out for a spin?? 

i think i will give it a miss it's too cold and i have just been told we have snow tomorrow, the one i had was the same colour if you polish it with mr sheen the black turns sparkly blue in the right light 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2021 at 17:12, gymwitch said:

Its amazing what fuel does to an engine......

Im off now and wont be back on this forum until all the piss taking has finished....see you all in a few years.

😳😩🙄

Is the misfire gone? Was it just low fuel?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WD-40 said:

Is the misfire gone? Was it just low fuel?

Is a misfire the same as a back fire? If so yes it still backfires. Im going to start it from cold in a min and do exactly as @oldgrumpdoes. He is very kindly helping me set it up properly as its doing a few things, like hanging when i rev etc.... so ill post for all to see. It is doing better now ive turned up the tickover. Im pretty sure a good few runs will sort a few niggles out. 

On 07/01/2021 at 14:10, skyrider said:

i think i will give it a miss it's too cold and i have just been told we have snow tomorrow, the one i had was the same colour if you polish it with mr sheen the black turns sparkly blue in the right light 

Yeah i noticed the blue when it was outside at Angelas. Im hoping i will get away with a gentle cut and polish and leave all the little scars as they are. Just want to get her running right now and then i can concentrate on cosmetics. That will be the fun bit for me 🙂

45 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

Is a misfire the same as a back fire? If so yes it still backfires. Im going to start it from cold in a min and do exactly as @oldgrumpdoes. He is very kindly helping me set it up properly as its doing a few things, like hanging when i rev etc.... so ill post for all to see. It is doing better now ive turned up the tickover. Im pretty sure a good few runs will sort a few niggles out. 

See in the video where your friend rides it. As she pulls away, or goes from idle to putting a load on the engine, it sounds like it's not running on all four cylinders. Then once the revs come up a bit it stops hesitating and runs on all four. I have had that problem in the past and what sorted it for me was replacing the spark plug caps. If yours are the original Honda ones from 1989 I would suggest replacing them with new NGK caps. What happens is over time the insulation on the cap breaks down so the spark finds an easier path to ground by jumping from the cap to the head, instead of jumping the spark plug gap. The result is the engine misfires/hesitates/drops a cylinder.

If the HT leads unscrew from the ignition coils you could also buy a length of HT lead cut it to length and replace them too. You could probably get four NGK caps and a length of HT lead for under £20. It might solve your running problem. Even if it doesn't replacing the 30 year old stuff should give you a stronger spark.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, WD-40 said:

See in the video where your friend rides it. As she pulls away, or goes from idle to putting a load on the engine, it sounds like it's not running on all four cylinders. Then once the revs come up a bit it stops hesitating and runs on all four. I have had that problem in the past and what sorted it for me was replacing the spark plug caps. If yours are the original Honda ones from 1989 I would suggest replacing them with new NGK caps. What happens is over time the insulation on the cap breaks down so the spark finds an easier path to ground by jumping from the cap to the head, instead of jumping the spark plug gap. The result is the engine misfires/hesitates/drops a cylinder.

If the HT leads unscrew from the ignition coils you could also buy a length of HT lead cut it to length and replace them too. You could probably get four NGK caps and a length of HT lead for under £20. It might solve your running problem. Even if it doesn't replacing the 30 year old stuff should give you a stronger spark.

Yes thats definitely a good move. Thanks !!!

Its possible i might sell the bike. I may be just in the throws of lockdown blues but thought id ask on here before putting up for sale elsewhere....not made any definite decisions yet. 

2 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

Its possible i might sell the bike. I may be just in the throws of lockdown blues but thought id ask on here before putting up for sale elsewhere....not made any definite decisions yet. 

yes there is a chance that someone on here would be interested, but at the same time why dont you wait a couple of months till the weather warms up and then take it for a good run and see how you feel then about it :thumb:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skyrider said:

yes there is a chance that someone on here would be interested, but at the same time why dont you wait a couple of months till the weather warms up and then take it for a good run and see how you feel then about it :thumb:

Second that !

You have come this far so please don`t bail just yet.

Reasons for not bailing.

1. This is a bad time of year to be selling anyway

2. Covid lockdown means most serious people got more to think about than changing their bikes.

3. In about 12 weeks even if you can`t give it a proper run someone will be along to help.

4. we WILL unmercifully take the piss and nominate you for TOTY before Feb even over (@Six30 couldn`t manage that !).

Do I need to go on?

@Stu @Tiggie @oldgrump @fastbob guys help me out here!

Cheers

Ian

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gymwitch said:

Why?

8 hours ago, gymwitch said:

which one