I'm back! - MOT help

RicKsTa

Hey all, been an absolute age but I'm back on 2 wheels since having the kids.

Bit of advice, im looking at getting the bike MOT'd but the exhaust is pretty loud. Not sure whether the regulations have changed since I last rode 4yrs ago but would this fail now or be an advisory?

Also does anyone know of a decent MOT station in Leicester nowadays.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Ricky

Thanks for that mate. It doesn't really specify what is classed as "loud" so I assume its down to the MOT station. Other than that it looks like its time to book it back in

Keep in mind that each MOT station apply different criteria so you will never know what they will come up with.

Had a couple stations saying I would need brake disk, other that the pads were near the limit. That was all just to get you to spend money with them.

The pads at that time were 2 month old so I was sure it didn't need it. An idiot even told me that I would fail MOT if I didn't install clamps on the exhausts.

Better to find somewhere you can trust.

Before going to MOT is always a good idea to have the basics checked so you don't have a fail.

Thanks [mention]Snod Blatter[/mention] , will have a gander!

[mention]husoi[/mention] , I've always done my own work on my bike. Its pristine regarding mechanical, just worried the exhaust will give me a slap on the wrist. Its not deafening, but it is pretty throaty! Lol

Thanks [mention]Tiggie[/mention] :cheers:

The regs say

8.1.1. Exhaust noise

If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle is not clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition.

In other words, it's really vague, there's no db limit set, and the tester isn't expected to measure the noise, only listen. Given this, the testers I've spoken to will only ever give an advisory for a loud exhaust.