Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Offroad as in enduro or offroad as in not out on the main roads?

Off road as in not on the main road, usually at the test centre they have a large course of cones that you have to go through.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Offroad as in enduro or offroad as in not out on the main roads?

EU directives mandate that the motorcycle test include slow riding and a slalom. Since you can't do a slalom on the public roads, that part of the test is done at an offroad test facility.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bonio said:

EU directives mandate that the motorcycle test include slow riding and a slalom. Since you can't do a slalom on the public roads, that part of the test is done at an offroad test facility.

But that's why the white centre line has gaps in it :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, rennie said:

Good Afternoon :D can't get into dentist till next year unless I go private!:evil:

Good Job I'm only in agony then!

If you haven't already, get some over the counter paracetamol/codeine. Miles better than just regular paracetamol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rennie said:

Good Afternoon :D can't get into dentist till next year unless I go private!:evil:

Good Job I'm only in agony then!

feel  for you Rennie..... i know a dentist who'll see you , he's cheap ..

tenor.gif?itemid=12689645

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

Thanks @Bender i have to say im nervous about the mod 1.

Here you are @gymwitch the mod 1 layout so if you feel like it you can set up your own practice course in a car park somewhere, and the mod 2 questions what you might get asked :thumb:

module2questions.pdf

module1diagrams.pdf

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dynax said:

Here you are @gymwitch the mod 1 layout so if you feel like it you can set up your own practice course in a car park somewhere, and the mod 2 questions what you might get asked :thumb:

module2questions.pdf 216.92 kB · 0 downloads

module1diagrams.pdf 621.03 kB · 0 downloads

I didn't understand any of that! 

That's not training and examination to a reasonable standard........that's actively putting barriers in the way of people getting motorcycle licences.

If I was faced with that now (bear in mind I did my test in 1971) I wouldn't bother. I'd just get an enduro machine solely for offroad use.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

I didn't understand any of that! 

That's not training and examination to a reasonable standard........that's actively putting barriers in the way of people getting motorcycle licences.

If I was faced with that now (bear in mind I did my test in 1971) I wouldn't bother. I'd just get an enduro machine solely for offroad use.

when i did mine it was just the examiner running from telegraph pole to telegraph pole and leaping out on the emergency stop

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, skyrider said:

when i did mine it was just the examiner running from telegraph pole to telegraph pole and leaping out on the emergency stop

Mine didn't even do that! It was pissing down so he just stood in the doorway of a chemist's shop.

He ventured out for the emergency stop.......but he was so far away from me up the road I didn't know whether to ride up to him and brake........or just brake where I was! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, skyrider said:

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Mine didn't even do that! It was pissing down so he just stood in the doorway of a chemist's shop.

He ventured out for the emergency stop.......but he was so far away from me up the road I didn't know whether to ride up to him and brake........or just brake where I was! :classic_laugh:

Yes your just saying your test was shit lol 😁 

The new test so to speak is the same means to an end, just be greatful you didn't have to do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Yes your just saying your test was shit lol 😁 

The new test so to speak is the same means to an end, just be greatful you didn't have to do it.

Just cos you had a harder test doesn't necessarily mean you'll ultimately become a better rider. The defining elements are ability, experience, and luck. You can't learn, or train for, any of those elements......you need to be born with a degree of ability, acquire experience, and just pray for luck.

You'll definitely be at less risk in the early days with better training........but if your ability level is low then you'll plateau sooner than others and never progress beyond that point.

As far as experience goes, the longer you do something doesn't necessarily mean the better you get at it........otherwise everybody who plays a guitar all their lives would be as good as Clapton.

I agree that better training is a good thing........but not ridiculous obstacles in bureaucracy and testing! Those are just putting up barriers and are basically a moneymaking exercise! 

But at the end of the day you're only going to be as good as your ability level allows. Add experience to a reasonable level of ability and there's no reason you can't ride without serious incident all your life, though you need to throw in a measure of luck to the mix as well.

So my point is training YES.......ripping people off NO! And the hoops that people have to go through now is ultimately going to bring about the demise of large capacity motorcycles.

Over here you can ride a 125 for life with just a car licence.......so what incentive is there for people to go any further?

Edited by XTreme

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Just cos you had a harder test doesn't necessarily mean you'll ultimately become a better rider. The defining elements are ability, experience, and luck. You can't learn, or train for, any of those elements......you need to be born with a degree of ability, acquire experience, and just pray for luck.

You'll definitely be at less risk in the early days with better training........but if your ability level is low then you'll plateau sooner than others and never progress beyond that point.

As far as experience goes, the longer you do something doesn't necessarily mean the better you get at it........otherwise everybody who plays a guitar all their lives would be as good as Clapton.

I agree that better training is a good thing........but not ridiculous obstacles in bureaucracy and testing! Those are just putting up barriers and are basically a moneymaking exercise! 

But at the end of the day you're only going to be as good as your ability level allows. Add experience to a reasonable level of ability and there's no reason you can't ride without serious incident all your life, though you need to throw in a measure of luck to the mix as well.

So my point is training YES.......ripping people off NO! And the hoops that people have to go through now is ultimately going to bring about the demise of large capacity motorcycles.

Over here you can ride a 125 for life with just a car licence.......so what incentive is there for people to go any further?

But the hoops noobs have to jump through are mostly down to the EU so it must be right.

Any test only goes to show that you made that level on that day, it's no measure of what anyone is going to be like in the wild.

Just now, Bender said:

But the hoops noobs have to jump through are mostly down to the EU so it must be right.

Any test only goes to show that you made that level on that day, it's no measure of what anyone is going to be like in the wild.

They've never had a CBT here.......so your system is different. And new riders were jumping through hoops to get licences there long before there was any standardisation of European licensing.

When there was a thriving British motorcycle industry they never had any qualms with people just jumping on a 250 at 16 with no experience. The first change was the moped only at 16 thing in 73......which I missed. But I'm sure a few here didn't.

And that pretty much coincided with the demise of all the Brit factories......except Norton and Triumph who staggered on through various bankruptcies! Trapped in time in the cloth cap and sidevalve era!

As I understand it, from the end of this month you can do what you like re tests etc because UK licences won't be valid in Europe anyway. So they can dispense with all that shit.

But they won't.......because everybody's getting a nice little earner. And that's what it's all about.

@XTreme

ntroduction 
1. In April 2009, a new testing regime for motorcyclists was introduced. The new test was 
based on European legislation, the Second EU Driving Licence Directive, originally 
adopted by EU Member States in 1991, and subsequently amended in 2000. Member States 
were required to transpose the Directive into national legislation and implement it fully by 
September 2008. The UK was unable to meet the deadline for implementation because of a 
failure to complete the required number of test centres on time.

That's one of the more recent changes but predominantly all linked to trying to keep Mr EU happy.

Nothing is likely to change unless we depart by design or accident with no Deal.

They may have no cbt but a1 a2 and a licence are all suspiciously the same as ours, as is the test and the closed circuit test and the questions, must have just been a fluke.

None of the other EU states have an off-road part to their test. I believe only the UK implemented the directive in full.

As @XTreme says, nothing will change when the UK leaves; there too much at stake to undo it all. So the funny outcome will be that the only country to follow the directive in full won't be in the EU. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bonio said:

None of the other EU states have an off-road part to their test. I believe only the UK implemented the directive in full.

As @XTreme says, nothing will change when the UK leaves; there too much at stake to undo it all. So the funny outcome will be that the only country to follow the directive in full won't be in the EU. :classic_laugh:

That's odd a quick Google and more than one site says closed circuit test with cones

http://www.bloomfieldsure.es/Motorbikerulesspain.html

• Like 1

Doof. I was wrong again :lol:

In Germany they do the slalom and emergency stops and so on "on a quiet street". In Ireland, you just have to do a U turn and slow riding: no slalom, no emergency stop, no avoidance (https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/). Apart from Spain and UK, I haven't found another country that has an off-road part to the test.

Edit - this article implies that Italy do part of the test off the road. https://www.motorpasionmoto.com/conduccion/si-te-quieres-sacar-el-carnet-de-moto-aqui-tienes-como-es-cada-uno-como-son-sus-examenes-y-sus-precios

Edited by bonio