Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Good morning :thumb:

An EPIC ride yesterday, covered around 200 miles, went through some fantastic scenery, I should have stopped to take pictures but I was enjoying the ride so much, I didn't want to break the momentum.

Here's to another day of the same but not as many miles :thumb:

• Like 3

Sunday is it? working permanent nights means Im never completely sure what day it is. obviously being surrounded my schizophrenics doesn't help either. But, hey ho. Sunday. a day off. feet up. do nothing. Bike will stay under its cover as I make a point of never riding it on this day of all days. worst day of the week in my opinion. Two more shifts and then a little break. time away from the murderers and arsonists. And it looks like the timing is perfect with the weather the way it is. Roll on Wednesday morning 7am. And I'm done until Monday 3rd.

• Like 4

I'm never 100% sure what day it is until I log on - Being 'retired' reduces the pressure of doing things on certain days. Now I just take life as it comes - Ride when I want to and 'chill' If I feel like doing nothing in particular.

🤔👍:beer2:

• Like 5

Turns out my nights have finished. had a phone call then an email last night, due to last minute dramas, they have a place available and put me down for 2 training days. 9:30 - 4, today and the same tomorrow. which means the night shifts I was due are impossible. you can't be awake all night then be expected to go to training 2hrs after getting home. So today: Trauma informed support. and tomorrow. Emotionally unstable personality disorder. Pretty good result. Ive worked with people with EUPD in the past, usually interesting characters. We have one where Im based now. 2 more days and my Holidays begin midnight Wednesday (officially) but actually 4pm Tuesday! Oh frabjous day.

I shall have to do something. go somewhere.

Very good morning from Scotland.

Arrived from Indonesia the weekend.

Crazy place with more wee bikes than tarmac :D 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, husoi said:

Very good morning from Scotland.

Arrived from Indonesia the weekend.

Crazy place with more wee bikes than tarmac :D 

You weren't in Bali were you? I fancy riding a bike out there next year (in the dry season). And after tips of what it's like. 

Would be hiring a Honda CBX150. Adventure type bike, only 17BHP, but enough for me to ferry myself and the mrs around. 

19 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

You weren't in Bali were you? I fancy riding a bike out there next year (in the dry season). And after tips of what it's like. 

Would be hiring a Honda CBX150. Adventure type bike, only 17BHP, but enough for me to ferry myself and the mrs around. 

I went to the island after Bali, Lombok.

Not as touristic and smaller than Bali with lots to see and a few nice beaches.

If you prefer even more beautiful island I would suggest Sumbawa the next to the right of Lombok.

All of them cheaper than Bali with less tourist restrictions (for now)

• Like 1

Lombok is somewhere I'd like to visit for a few days to see the volcano, but if I hire a bike it will be for the full 2 weeks, so will be counting on there being ferries that take vehicles. 

The only thing that looks a bit disconcerting is Indonesia is changing a lot politically, with some going as far as to suggest there will be issues for tourists showing too much skin/unmarried/gay. No idea how much truth is in it, but will be keeping an eye on it. I guess for me and my gf, we could just wear dummy wedding rings if it does turn out to be bad. 

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Lombok is somewhere I'd like to visit for a few days to see the volcano, but if I hire a bike it will be for the full 2 weeks, so will be counting on there being ferries that take vehicles. 

The only thing that looks a bit disconcerting is Indonesia is changing a lot politically, with some going as far as to suggest there will be issues for tourists showing too much skin/unmarried/gay. No idea how much truth is in it, but will be keeping an eye on it. I guess for me and my gf, we could just wear dummy wedding rings if it does turn out to be bad. 

Plenty of inter island ferries but be warned the safety standards are bloody dire. Aston the ongoing islamisation it depends on the local government.  Bali being Hindu is slightly less harsh than some. Aceh is the most hardline. Java and Sumatra are getting more picky but aren't any more so than Malaysia. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Plenty of inter island ferries but be warned the safety standards are bloody dire. Aston the ongoing islamisation it depends on the local government.  Bali being Hindu is slightly less harsh than some. Aceh is the most hardline. Java and Sumatra are getting more picky but aren't any more so than Malaysia. 

Thanks! Might look at how much there is to do on Bali and see if we can fill 2 weeks with it. I think the mrs is looking for a bit of a beach holiday, so 4-5 days will be her by a pool/beach just doing nothing. So in reality, it will only be about 9 days I need to fill with exploring/day trips/cultural experiences. 

I quite like the idea of riding around the Volcano on Lombok, but if I can park and lock the bike up somewhere secure for a few days, I'll just try and find a well reviewed ferry service. Can always hire another bike in Lombok for the day, it seems everything costs peanuts out there. If it was safer, I'd hop island to island over the course of the 2 weeks, but I will be avoiding Aceh, Java, and Sumatra. I'm seeing a pattern emerge with my online research as well. 

10 hours ago, Grumpy Old Git said:

Morning Folks (and Folkets).

Where is Six these days?

😁

he’s moved on to pastures new. Trying and failing to troll Spaniards without the inconvenience of moving to Spain.  No great loss.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Thanks! Might look at how much there is to do on Bali and see if we can fill 2 weeks with it. I think the mrs is looking for a bit of a beach holiday, so 4-5 days will be her by a pool/beach just doing nothing. So in reality, it will only be about 9 days I need to fill with exploring/day trips/cultural experiences. 

I quite like the idea of riding around the Volcano on Lombok, but if I can park and lock the bike up somewhere secure for a few days, I'll just try and find a well reviewed ferry service. Can always hire another bike in Lombok for the day, it seems everything costs peanuts out there. If it was safer, I'd hop island to island over the course of the 2 weeks, but I will be avoiding Aceh, Java, and Sumatra. I'm seeing a pattern emerge with my online research as well. 

I've never seen a place like Bali for bike crashes and deaths, 3 dead that we saw, from head on through a small truck windscreen which they might have survived but the mesh behind the seats put paid to the exit strategy to one being nocked off bike and breaking neck on very high curb to which there are many...

It's a lovely place though and plenty of small islands to hop too.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Bender said:

I've never seen a place like Bali for bike crashes and deaths, 3 dead that we saw, from head on through a small truck windscreen which they might have survived but the mesh behind the seats put paid to the exit strategy to one being nocked off bike and breaking neck on very high curb to which there are many...

It's a lovely place though and plenty of small islands to hop too.

Is it incompetence of the drivers doing this? Liking running red lights, silly moves into blind bends etc. Or is it more dangerous, like people driving down the wrong side of the road? It surprises me that these countries are so popular with tourists hiring scooters, it seems like you need good health and life insurance if you go out there :shock: 

Outside of a few places like Singapore driving standards in Asia are pretty dire. Combine that with dense populations who frequently use a small capacity motorbike as their sole means of transport and you have a recipe for chaos and disaster. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Is it incompetence of the drivers doing this? Liking running red lights, silly moves into blind bends etc. Or is it more dangerous, like people driving down the wrong side of the road? It surprises me that these countries are so popular with tourists hiring scooters, it seems like you need good health and life insurance if you go out there :shock: 

Everything you can shake a pointy stick at, rider faults, drivers faults pedestrian faults, police don't give a shit, life is cheap over there.

We witnessed first crash pretty much as soon as we got there, not fatal, within 5mins of sitting down outside our hotel for a drink, 2 bikes going opposite directions hit each other mid corner one bike and rider slid straight past us, both got up and then started a shouting match blaming each other then had a fight in the middle of the road 😂

Girl killed on curb was wheeling he bike away from path when a car reversed into the side of her and sent her over sideways just at the right distance for her helmet to take the brunt of  it as the bike and her shoulders went past, police right next to it didn't even come over, passes lifted her up, she was like a rag doll and not with us any more, wife's mam and dad were both nurses and they said straight away she was beyond helping 😢

Truck one we passed just after it happened, it was on wrong side of road or took bend wrong, bike probably didn't have time to react it was embedded in the front with the rider inside.

Hole in road took another one.

I've seen lots of walking wounded in places before but I've never seen so many lunatics as in Bali, we might have just been unlucky, it even put me off hiring a car never mind a bike 😂 I think a scooter for local bodding about would be my limit there or maybe just hire a humvee 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, rennie said:

I've driven in some strange places over the years!

Kenya, Belize, The Gulf, Cyprus etc.

Never bothered me at the time! 

I'm not sure how I'd find it nowadays:scratch:

I love driving abroad and our next hol a bike or scooter is def on the cards 😁

• Like 1