Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Guest Swagman
2 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Whilst you lot of OAPs are wittering on about inconsequential things I have been doing something useful, like making trees.

IMG_20201221_133913193.jpg

Wax on Wax off Danielson.

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I see “Plague Island” is now trending on Twitter as over 30 countries have landlocked everybody in the UK!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55391289

Confusing isn't it.......these countries (including EU ones) having control of their own borders?

Not really. Its what borders are for. See that apparently the French are playing to allow freight to move tomorrow. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Not really. Its what borders are for. See that apparently the French are playing to allow freight to move tomorrow. 

I've got a few Transport Company clients and I'm hearing from some of them today that their drivers are stuck there and can't move!

Just now, XTreme said:

I've got a few Transport Company clients and I'm hearing from some of them today that their drivers are stuck there and can't move!

Thats true right now but news from France indicates freight may be allowed to start moving from tomorrow. Practice for Brexit- govt  assures us that plans are made etc. Why does that not fill me with confidence? Possibly because my BS detector is finely tuned after this last incredibly disappointing year.

• Like 1

Apparently Jupiter and Saturn are in alignment tonight.

The last time was in 1226 when The Emperor, Frederick the Second was due to set sail from Brindisi for Jerusalem.

However, he had to turn back because the port was closed because of a pandemic that was raging.

Spooky or what?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The last time was in 1226 when The Emperor, Frederick the Second was due to set sail from Brindisi for Jerusalem.

However, he had to turn back because the port was closed because of a pandemic that was raging.

Spooky or what?

apparently a world war 2 bomber came in low to his boat and he jumped on that instead.... spooky.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Six30 said:

apparently a world war 2 bomber came in low to his boat and he jumped on that instead.... spooky.

Too late to make a TOTY play now Six.......the people have spoken! And you're a Fallen Hero!

Guest Swagman
20 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Too late to make a TOTY play now Six.......the people have spoken! And you're a Fallen Hero!

Well he’s fallen at any rate.🤣

45 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Spooky or what?

No chance of seeing it here though - 20/20 cloud cover.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, XTreme said:

from the man who said he saw the same plane 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Six30 said:

from the man who said he saw the same plane 🤣🤣🤣

I knew the connection Six........but it just shows how you're now grasping at any straw possible to retain that trophy.

Look.....I'll make a sacrifice here......

Can anybody who voted for me in TOTY change your vote to Six.

He's desperate to retain his title! Don't ruin his Xmas for him!

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

Ooh, digressions - I like those! :classic_biggrin:

An entreaty to be gracious and charitable sounds good, but it diverts us from my fundamental point which is that doing f*ck all to help someone in need still constitutes f*ck all even if it’s being done in a cassock.

When I first saw that image I assumed I was looking at a brave chaplain dodging bullets in order to help a wounded soldier. But the reality, as told by the chaplain himself, puts an entirely different complexion on things. He didn’t feel that he was in any real danger, and whatever it was he was doing wasn’t of any genuine utility: at the most critical moment he shook himself loose of the soldiers grip and skedaddled, leaving him alone on the tarmac to await his death. I can imagine the padre saying “My child, I am here to offer you every assistance, short of actual help.”

Well thats made me chuckle. 

Initially when I read “beaten back by gun fire” I thought how? Did they carefully shoot near his feet so he had to tippy toe back leaving him behind?!

Off the top of my head so you know it’ll be a corker I’m thinking the he was simply telling porkies after the event. A powerful photo, people wanted the story that went with it so a palatable version of events became the his new truth.

He doesn’t look like he’s not frightened in the pic. Reckon he was fearful and did what some people would do in that situation- ran. 

I can’t think of another reason anyone would leave an injured man. So the no fear part is a bit iffy to say the least. 

Perhaps you expect more of a man in godsquad super hero suit? Any rate it wasn’t doing the trick for him that day. 

I wouldn’t expect a person who needs the crutch of religion and invisible god in the sky to necessarily be strong a person in that situation.

Which he wasn’t because if what you say is true the only known reality is he went to help and decided to leave. Not a great story for the photo or a great ending for the soldier. Would have been a better end for him if he hadn’t gone to help him in the first place. 

For me, at least, it raises interesting questions in respect of art itself. For example, is the photo lesser for knowing the background of it? I know I feel differently about it than I did.

I suppose a bigger question might be whether something becomes art purely as a consequence of a viewers perception of it. A bit like the tree falling in the forest. 

Edited by learningtofly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Girl On A Motorcycle film is on Christmas Eve

Thought some of the crusties here might want to know purely because I’m told it’s got Marianne Faithful in the nud in it, if that sort of thing floats your boat. 

I like girls in the nud, I like them so much i have one of my own .... our Julie ....:classic_smile:

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

I knew the connection Six........but it just shows how you're now grasping at any straw possible to retain that trophy.

Look.....I'll make a sacrifice here......

Can anybody who voted for me in TOTY change your vote to Six.

He's desperate to retain his title! Don't ruin his Xmas for him!

this is a post of a worried man ... blatantly trying to sway voting....

See the source image

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Girl On A Motorcycle film is on Christmas Eve.
Apparently it’s dire but I’m a sucker for anything with motorbikes in it so I’m gonna watch it. My finger even hovered over the record button on a hairy bikers programme but I couldn’t do it, I just can’t stomach two adults talking like they’re on a children’s programme 😆

Thought some of the crusties here might want to know purely because I’m told it’s got Marianne Faithful in the nud in it, if that sort of thing floats your boat. 

i think it was on over the weekend on one of the freeview channels 

There's been a change of plan to the gig that I've got to do over the Xmas period! Instead of wanting it by 4th January.......they now want it by 30th December!

That's 8 days away.......and 3 of those will be Xmas Eve, Xmas Day, and Boxing Day. Which gives me 5 days remaining to get it done so it doesn't interfere with Xmas!

Couldn't start it earlier because I was waiting for their content to come through........that came a couple of hours ago.

So I've got to start blitzing it tomorrow........it's going to be Migraine City baby! 

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Office

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

There's been a change of plan to the gig that I've got to do over the Xmas period! Instead of wanting it by 4th January.......they now want it by 30th December!

That's 8 days away.......and 3 of those will be Xmas Eve, Xmas Day, and Boxing Day. Which gives me 5 days remaining to get it done so it doesn't interfere with Xmas!

Couldn't start it earlier because I was waiting for their content to come through........that came a couple of hours ago.

So I've got to start blitzing it tomorrow........it's going to be Migraine City baby! 

Well you’ll be missed but works work. 

We’ve been down 5k a month since March so I’ve gone from loathing the W word to being damn grateful 😬🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

we wont expect to hear much of you tomorrow then