Baselayers

Use them for a few weeks and then get yourself a Christmas present and buy base layers made from Merino wool, you'll see (feel?) the difference.

My base layers go for sailing, skiing, now also motorbiking -quite a universal thing.

Use them for a few weeks and then get yourself a Christmas present and buy base layers made from Merino wool, you'll see (feel?) the difference.

My base layers go for sailing, skiing, now also motorbiking -quite a universal thing.

I will only be using them if it gets really cold and i want to go out on the bike :thumb:

As someone who very rarely wears anything other than jeans and tee shirts all year round, i very rarely feel the cold :lol: :thumb:

Get yourself on Sport Pursuit, many a big brand at most of the time half price and lower.

I've work many a brand of merino over the years of snowwboarding and I keep going back to Icebreaker. There are some good syntheic brands but you cant beat merino wool and the non-stink properties of it. ;)

Fish

Get yourself on Sport Pursuit, many a big brand at most of the time half price and lower.

I've work many a brand of merino over the years of snowwboarding and I keep going back to Icebreaker. There are some good syntheic brands but you cant beat merino wool and the non-stink properties of it. ;)

Fish

You have to register to even browse their site bollox to that :lol:

Well as it turns out buying cheaper gear has been very productive as some of the money saved has gone to the forum, which if i had bought expensive stuff i wouldn't have been able to do, so for all you rich twat's who buy this expensive shit dig deep and make a donation to the forum, because obviously you can afford it :up:

• Like 1

They have arrived, and they look and feel okay, i have some baselayers that cost a lot more than these, but these are much thicker and feel much warmer, will give them a test tomorrow and see how they feel :thumb:

Have to say I've tried all kinds of base layers ranging from synthetics to Merino wool and silk and sadly you do get what you pay for. If you're just sitting around I guess synthetic stuff may be okay but if you are doing anything slightly strenuous then you'll end up sweaty and stinky in short order. I've used them for biking, hiking, skiing, fishing and sailing. Unless you're going off-road or racing then biking is probably the least sweaty. Tootling on a 125 probably isn't going to be sweat inducing!

I didn’t believe in the power of the merino but now I’m a confirmed worshipper of the yarn.

Went on a longer trip where luggage was very minimal which as a person who likes a shower n clean clothes I found difficult to wrap my head around so I bought the famed merino wool base layers not expecting a lot and they are superb. I didn’t spend a lot on them (cos I didn’t believe they’d be that much better) they were just cheapies from Mountain Warehouse and worth every penny.

It was [mention]goat[/mention] who finally persuaded me they were worth a go so thanks for that, a year on they’re still in frequent use and my more expensive (admittedly better looking) synthetic ones haven’t been worn once :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

As a side question and to save doing a new post, what do you guys think to either heated gloves or silk inserts?

My mrs gets really cold finger tips and I was looking at how to solve the issue... no funny comments lol

For winter i wear;

Planet X Clubmans cycling bib tights, without the bum pad.

Decathlon Lycra briefs.

2 t-shirts one under the bib tights, one over.

Cheap fibre pile jacket.

Lined and armoured cordura jacket and overtrousers.

Ski socks. High boots, £1 "magic gloves" inside big padded winter gloves ... 

Toasty ......

• Like 1

Heated inner gloves are superb but not for long periods if you’re a riding rather than pillion cos the bulks annoying and then merino wool liners are better. For pillion thought they’re fine for any length of time if you have the right gloves. 
These mitts used in conjunction with heated liners are very toasty and roomy enough to comfortably accommodate any liners. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/99552

shes riding too so needs something that works well either with her gloves or new.. she was just saying her gloves are tight ish though so based on an above comment she may need new.. but go to big and controls feel clumsy lol