Waterproof mobile phone

Bender

I have nothing against Chinese.

One of the oldest cultures on the planet, a bit rude people but easy to talk to. The worse are the new rich that think they can get anything as long they pay for it (a sense of deja-vu on this).

Hard working people, great food (the original one not the one sold in UK)

As bad as Britain on colonization...

2 minutes ago, husoi said:

I have nothing against Chinese.

One of the oldest cultures on the planet, a bit rude people but easy to talk to. The worse are the new rich that think they can get anything as long they pay for it (a sense of deja-vu on this).

Hard working people, great food (the original one not the one sold in UK)

As bad as Britain on colonization...

That's great good for you, I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms.

Luckily I'm not you and don't have to espouse how wonderful they are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bender said:

That's great good for you, I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms.

Luckily I'm not you and don't have to espouse how wonderful they are.

There are many great cultures and people out there. you should go out more :P

1 minute ago, husoi said:

There are many great cultures and people out there. you should go out more :P

I go out alot and travel too, seen and been to many great cultures,nothing to make me want to buy a Chinese phone.

On the subject of travel I have found the Chinese to be the most arrogant, self absorbed absolutely minging race I have ever had the misfortune to holiday with.

48 minutes ago, Bender said:

I go out alot and travel too, seen and been to many great cultures,nothing to make me want to buy a Chinese phone.

On the subject of travel I have found the Chinese to be the most arrogant, self absorbed absolutely minging race I have ever had the misfortune to holiday with.

To be fair the Singaporeans  are largely ethnic Chinese  and you should hear their opinion of PRC Chinese. Not good. That said some of the Chinese  I've met have been the most racist and arrogant  pricks you could ever hope to meet. Their economic colonialism of Africa  would make the most imperial  Victorian Brit weep with envy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

To be fair the Singaporeans  are largely ethnic Chinese  and you should hear their opinion of PRC Chinese. Not good. That said some of the Chinese  I've met have been the most racist and arrogant  pricks you could ever hope to meet. Their economic colonialism of Africa  would make the most imperial  Victorian Brit weep with envy.

True, although I never heard of Chinese hoarding slaves from Africa...

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Can't get any more Chinese than that.

Absolute cracking phones though are these Huawei's 

Even if the Chinese are checking your bank account at the same time as you :popcorn:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

No.. its a fact. Ive never had a phone break down due to water damage. Because I never allowed a phone to get wet.

It's also atomic bomb proof, zombie proof, shark proof and pink icing proof then.

Unfortunately mine is with me regardless of what I'm doing, I don't carry an umbrella and if it rains I get wet so does the phone, I didn't intend on dropping the phone screen first into cement, I attempted to take a call from a supplier who makes custom timber that I've been waiting on for 2weeks.

The water was intentional but being able to just rinse it under that tap saved the phone.

1 hour ago, husoi said:

as bad as any country for slavery , they still do it now but is called forced labour.

3 hours ago, husoi said:

True, we followed the Portuguese  into the African slave trade several hundred years ago. We also ended it. As to the Chinese they made do with enslaving their own people, much as they still do today. Ask a Uighur or Tibetan.

39 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

True, we followed the Portuguese  into the African slave trade several hundred years ago. We also ended it. As to the Chinese they made do with enslaving their own people, much as they still do today. Ask a Uighur or Tibetan.

A wee historical correction if I may :)

Portuguese and Dutch were the first in supplying slaves to Europe. English followed suit as soon they found out that there was good money to make from it and to populate the American colony with free labour for cotton plantations.

Portuguese also took slaves to the south american colony (Brazil) for the tobacco, sugar and other plantations while invading what is now Mozambique, Angola, Guinea in order to acquire resources (natural resources mainly from Angola) both natural and human.

As you can see in the map pretty much everyone in Europe took a slice of the African invasion (politely named as colonization).

colonias_en_africa.jpg.985ee4412a47383146e8c63f52ce0624.jpg

Who ended the slavery is quite unclear.

Although William the Conqueror prohibits the sale of any person to "heathens" (non-Christians) as slaves in 1080 DC. The first sign of abolition was back in the 6th century BC when Athenian citizens were set free by law.

In medieval times France were the first to abolish christian slaves in the 7th century while Ireland had a stab at it for a short period in the 500's but returned to slavery short after.

Was an imperial United Kingdom that totally abolished slavery much later in 1815 together with several European countries signed the Congress of Vienna declaring its opposition to slavery with total ban by UK in 1865 (or thereabout).

While in 1818 the 2 members of the oldest alliance still in existence (2020) signed the Bilateral treaty abolishing the slave trade (Portugal and Great Britain) having pretty much everyone else followed suit.

Note that in 2020 not all countries have ratified the slavery abolition treaty and the UK only published the final bill back in 2015.

Regarding the US, well we all know what they still do to African* people...

* - Read black american with African origin

Edited by husoi

1 hour ago, husoi said:

A wee historical correction if I may :)

Portuguese and Dutch were the first in supplying slaves to Europe. English followed suit as soon they found out that there was good money to make from it and to populate the American colony with free labour for cotton plantations.

Portuguese also took slaves to the south american colony (Brazil) for the tobacco, sugar and other plantations while invading what is now Mozambique, Angola, Guinea in order to acquire resources (natural resources mainly from Angola) both natural and human.

As you can see in the map pretty much everyone in Europe took a slice of the African invasion (politely named as colonization).

colonias_en_africa.jpg.985ee4412a47383146e8c63f52ce0624.jpg

Who ended the slavery is quite unclear.

Although William the Conqueror prohibits the sale of any person to "heathens" (non-Christians) as slaves in 1080 DC. The first sign of abolition was back in the 6th century BC when Athenian citizens were set free by law.

In medieval times France were the first to abolish christian slaves in the 7th century while Ireland had a stab at it for a short period in the 500's but returned to slavery short after.

Was an imperial United Kingdom that totally abolished slavery much later in 1815 together with several European countries signed the Congress of Vienna declaring its opposition to slavery with total ban by UK in 1865 (or thereabout).

While in 1818 the 2 members of the oldest alliance still in existence (2020) signed the Bilateral treaty abolishing the slave trade (Portugal and Great Britain) having pretty much everyone else followed suit.

Note that in 2020 not all countries have ratified the slavery abolition treaty and the UK only published the final bill back in 2015.

Regarding the US, well we all know what they still do to African* people...

* - Read black american with African origin

Slavery has been pretty well endemic since human beings first started living as other than hunter gatherers. Moorish raiders regularly  raided western Europe  for slaves right up to the 16th century.  The biggest money maker for the vikings was slavery.

What made the African slave trade so vile was that it was the first and possibly only time that chattel slavery was based on race. Prior to that slavery was pretty much an equal opportunity horror. As long as you weren't too young or too old (in which case you were probably  just killed) you'd meet a market demand somewhere. 

Still reckon China's track record is  worse than  ours. By ours I mean any European  country  with the possible  exception of Belgium in what used to be the Congo. 

• Like 1

All this slavery its amazing how history so easily forgets, the 300 years that we where taken as slaves...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade

I have been told Cornish villages where built away form the coast to make it harder for them to find...
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Barbary-Pirates-English-Slaves/

As for later slaves coming out of Africa its also worth noting "Many nations such as the Bono State, Ashanti of present-day Ghana and the Yoruba of present-day Nigeria were involved in slave-trading. Groups such as the Imbangala of Angola and the Nyamwezi of Tanzania would serve as intermediaries or roving bands, waging war on African states to capture people for export as slaves. Historians John Thornton and Linda Heywood of Boston University have estimated that of the Africans captured and then sold as slaves to the New World in the Atlantic slave trade, around 90% were enslaved by fellow Africans who sold them to European traders. Henry Louis Gates, the Harvard Chair of African and African American Studies, has stated that "without complex business partnerships between African elites and European traders and commercial agents, the slave trade to the New World would have been impossible, at least on the scale it occurred."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa#:~:text=The Atlantic slave trade took,the Red Sea and elsewhere.

History as being painted today as is always the case is being bent to present the history the people want.

• Like 1