Christmas Lunch - Favourite meat..

jedibiker

7 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

In Gloucestershire we're overrun with wild boar. I'm told 700 a year get culled. Tasty stuff but not Christmas. 

According to experts what is called wild boar in the UK is either farmed or wild pigs.

I would do the search again but I can't be bothered :) 

There is a company selling what they call imported wild boar from Poland farmed in the wild, whatever that means.

For Christmas Dinner a good gamey loin of venison with St. Hubert sauce. Baked sour apples, roasted potatoes and perhaps baked parsnips or golden beetroot. Starters would be something along the lines of gravid lax, or a half lobster. Dessert - lime cheesecake or possibly Rum pudding. Copious amounts of bubbly, red wine and port to finish. Sometime in the festive season will try and fit in a goose and at New year a dark cured ham. Currently sitting in motorway  services eating an alleged bacon sandwich. Home in a few hours with bike.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, husoi said:

According to experts what is called wild boar in the UK is either farmed or wild pigs.

I would do the search again but I can't be bothered :) 

There is a company selling what they call imported wild boar from Poland farmed in the wild, whatever that means.

Gloucestershire  wild boar started as farmed wild boar, escaped in numbers partly due to green muppets and Forest of Dean is boar heaven. They are the real deal.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/wild-boar-shooting/wild-boar-shooting-in-uk-22146

Edited by S-Westerly

5 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

For Christmas Dinner a good gamey loin of venison with St. Hubert sauce. Baked sour apples, roasted potatoes and perhaps baked parsnips or golden beetroot. Starters would be something along the lines of gravid lax, or a half lobster. Dessert - lime cheesecake or possibly Rum pudding. Copious amounts of bubbly, red wine and port to finish. Sometime in the festive season will try and fit in a goose and at New year a dark cured ham. Currently sitting in motorway  services eating an alleged bacon sandwich. Home in a few hours with bike.

Right.

I'll get the red wine, (Portuguese special reserve) and will bring a chocolate and cream tarte that will make you kick lick your fingers ;) :thumb: 

Edited by husoi

2 minutes ago, husoi said:

Right.

I'll get the red wine, (Portuguese special reserve) and will bring a chocolate and cream tarte that will make you kick your fingers ;) :thumb: 

Chocolate and cream? Sounds a winner to me.

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

A bird in a bird and a whole turkey which I soak for 3 days before cooking so it’s super juicy (and so there’s adequate left overs) plus a large mustard and muscovado coated gammon, at least a kilo of sausage meat stuffing made with plenty of onion and fresh sage, more pigs in blankets than you can shake a stick at- made with full size chipolatas because cocktail sausages simply don’t taste as good, wrapped with quality but extremely thin smoked streaky bacon. 

Then you’ve gotta have bountiful really crispy roast potatoes, brussel sprouts with a pancetta and chestnut butter, honey roast parsnips, buttered mashed swede, savoy cabbage (stir fired with a bit of garlic) dauphinoise potatoes (with a layer of fresh roasted beetroot hidden in the middle), bread sauce made solely with double cream, a sharp cranberry n orange sauce, creamed corn and gravy made well in advance.
Good gravy can only be achieved with decent meat juices and as you want a juicy turkey it’s better to roast the living daylights out of chicken and veg well in advance before slow cooking it for a minimum of eight hours well before the main event to make good gravy. I feel I have missed something 🤔

Starters are always made but by lunch time the decision to skip them means they stay in the fridge. Pudding- traditional Christmas pud (which I dislike immensely) or the more popular cheesecake with a choice of clotted cream, icecream or custard. 
Cheese and biscuits has to be a good ripe Somerset brie, Cropwell bishop Stilton, Blacksticks blue, Godminster cheddar and somehow the much maligned Boursin always sneaks in, had with thin water biscuits, a quince jam and grapes for that 80’s style! None of that gets a look in til Boxing Day as everyone’s horizontal for several hours after wondering if they’ll ever need to eat again and why they don’t have better self control! 😆

This year with reduced numbers I think one of the turkeys will go in the freezer. 
I really love Christmas dinner.

Bloody hell, you don't mess about lol.. sounds very nice though

2 hours ago, raesewell said:

Goose is the traditional English Christmas bird, Turkey is an American import. It's Goose crown with bacon for us.

Where did you get your goose crown?

I have been looking high and low for one.

Last time I got one was from Bookers about 6 or 7 years ago.

Local butcher wont crown a goose for me as too much waste and says not enough demand.

Cheers

Ian

Wild meats dodgy ground isn’t it. The first time I had proper wild duck, I was so looking forward to it and it was so disappointing.
If it’s farmed they control the feed and the age the animal is culled, they know the optimum time timing for the best flavour and texture so long as we’re not talking intensive farming it’s better than a roamed wild. If you don’t know it’s age or life it’s easy to have an over muscled stringy old thing that’s only good for a long slow cook. Plus hunting wise if you want it for food your going to want the prime specimen, the knackered old ones aren’t appealing (a lot like this forum 😆) their sinewy fibres are only good for a very slow cook. 

44 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I didn’t expect cheesecake to keep popping up and a Christmas pudding. 

Can't stand Christmas pudding  but love cheesecake.  My wife has an entire book of cheesecake recipes.

46 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Wild meats dodgy ground isn’t it. The first time I had proper wild duck, I was so looking forward to it and it was so disappointing.
If it’s farmed they control the feed and the age the animal is culled, they know the optimum time timing for the best flavour and texture so long as we’re not talking intensive farming it’s better than a roamed wild. If you don’t know it’s age or life it’s easy to have an over muscled stringy old thing that’s only good for a long slow cook. Plus hunting wise if you want it for food your going to want the prime specimen, the knackered old ones aren’t appealing (a lot like this forum 😆) their sinewy fibres are only good for a very slow cook. 

Much prefer wild venison to farmed as it has a gamier taste. Also very fond of hare but difficult to get down south. 

I am always interested that so many people when asked say they hate xmas pud, myself included.

It makes me wonder how they sell any or who indeed consumes them.

I don`t even like the smell and think it`s a crimminal waste of brandy to create a fire risk.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Just now, S-Westerly said:

Much prefer wild venison to farmed as it has a gamier taste. Also very fond of hare but difficult to get down south. 

Quote "Hare down South"

Where is @Six30 when we need him lol.

(prepare for wholesale tone lowering)

Cheers

Ian

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Christmas pudding is probably the best bit of the Christmas meal. Especially with custard. Cream is acceptable.
Brandy butter and Christmas pudding is a serious mistake. 

We usually buy ours in January and put it on the shelf for the following Christmas, or even the one after. The older the better.

I love Turkey and we always get a huge bird.

So at Xmas Dinner the plate is piled up with different potatoes, veg, stuffing, gravy......and a mountain of turkey!

Then I have a big portion of Xmas Pudding with thick cream!

That usually culminates with a visit to the toilet and me pebble dashing the pan with a bog-blocking turd the size of a nuclear submarine.

The turkey usually lasts about 3 to 4 days......with me eating it twice a day! By the end of this period my ass is usually f@cking hanging.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Traditionally Turkey with sausage meat and horse chestnut stuffing but this year goose? duck? ham? beef? Nut roast? it will be a combination.

Presently our menu is still flexible depending on who comes there might be a part time vegetarian, some one who doesn't eat anything green (I jest not)

Christmas will be some were between 2 and 7,  nothing to do with Covid just family politics.  My misses should have her dad and step mum coming for first time in 30 odd years, but step family are being difficult.  I hope it will be my 3rd Christmas with my daughter (in 12 years), it is the 2nd trip to solicitors / court for Christmas to sort the access.  Apparently alternate does not mean every other :classic_wacko: I still don't know what's happening.

If it all comes down to the 2 of us it will be Haggis Neaps and Tatties because its hard to stuff up cooking it after a dog walk/ pub crawl...  Historically the last pub we leave comments about having family to go home to?  :oops:

We will have Christmas Pud, the challenge is most people serve it with Brandy Butter or another rich sauce, cream and  custard are still far from perfect as its to rich or over powers it. 

What you really need is a homemade white Rum Sauce and lashings of it, so that the milk and rum compliment the richness of the pudding, ice cream works but is not 1/2 as good.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Some poncey foods being talked about in this thread........I thought I'd logged into some Hipster's Gourmet Forum by mistake!

As usual me and @Six30 keep it real!

yeh @XTreme... keep expecting that twat Jamie Oliver to post ....