First ride after passing CBT

Bludoggo

Hi all! So I passed the CBT on Tuesday and the weather has been awful since then so I decided to stay warm and dry inside.

This morning didn't seem awful so I decided to venture out to the very exciting first destination of... The petrol station! Whoo!

So everything went pretty well, new bike so checked everything worked before setting off then headed out, I was nervous at first as it was wet and cold but really soon things fell into place. 

Had trouble putting the fuel cap back on (why so fiddly?!), Stalled once but a very nice driver was patient, and beeped the horn for no reason which made me chuckle. Made it back in one piece! AND had fun 😊

Would be interested to know how other peoples first rides were!

• Like 7

I think I was around 12 or 13, Lived in a high-rise council block and I rode my elder brothers Moped around the carpark.

Edit: doh, I obviously was thinking of my first ride ever!  I can't remember my first "legal" one funnily enough :scratch:

• Haha 1

First ride as pillion, it was blowing a gale, my parents friend I think was told to scare the 11 year old pillion (who had just recovered from latest breakage due to pushbike incident). I came back grinning from ear to ear.

They kept me off bikes for another 30 years, by bribery and corruption.

As a rider my first ride was Solo collecting my 125 shortly after passing my CBT.

Straight across Southampton in rush hour, after that I have used a bike whenever possible.

• Like 2

After passing my cbt I never bothered with a 125 as I had an intensive course booked. 

I passed my mod 2 this Thursday and my first ride was taking my bike to it’s mot on Friday, but nervous to start with the rain and fog but then got into the wing of things and used the bike to run a few errands and covered 50 miles throughout the day 

• Like 2

My first ride after CBT was to collect my new cb125 from the Honda dealer. I was excited but still waited for the Honda guy to leave before I set off incase I made an idiot of myself in the first few yards. That drive home brought me down country lanes, a roads, the steepest hill I've ever seen and in through London. It took about 45 minutes but felt like forever. However I did love it 

Also that day i learned honda accept credit cards for deposits not for the balance. Lucky I had money in savings to cover it. 

My first ride after picking up my bike (Yam MT125) I had a few small roads then I had to take it on the A2 (a 3 lane motorway style road) 70mph stretch for circa 9 miles, all whilst not going above 7k rpm! Windy and scary as crap but it was that or lots and lots of back roads to get it home. 

I had been to a few dealers and sat on various bikes, Suzuki, Honda, Yam, Sinnis.... the list is long, but I thought that the Yam fitted me the best.

Now I commute into central London and not looked back, been out for a few day long bimbles (or whatever you call them). Just annoyed that my DAS was cancelled during this last lockdown. 

Fish

• Like 1

Have you got the DAS rebooked @Fish?

I was losing hope with mine, but after my MOD1 was cancelled back in November during lockdown, I got another date and passed this morning. Don't worry, it will work out in the end.

Just have my MOD2 to pass now! But unfortunately I don't have a bike to jump on!

On 13/12/2020 at 13:24, Bludoggo said:

It was nearly 50 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Cos I binned it......about 4 or 5 times as I recall! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

Guest Swagman
1 minute ago, XTreme said:

It was nearly 50 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Cos I binned it......about 4 or 5 times as I recall! :classic_laugh:

That figures.

My first legal ride was back in 1989, my dad took me down to go pick it up, rode it home never having any riding experience, except for pushbikes and a Garelli moped on the school fields, rode it about five miles home with my dad following me in the car :classic_biggrin:

Edited by dynax

Guest Swagman
4 minutes ago, dynax said:

My first legal ride was back in 1989, my dad took me down to go pick it up, rode it home never having any riding experience, except for pushbikes and a Garelli moped on the school fields, rode it about five miles home with my dad following me in the car :classic_biggrin:

Well wouldn’t he been to fast being the first Chinese bike made.😀

5 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

30th August 1980. Kawasaki KH250 2 Stoke triple, which I rode from Great Wyrley to home...  I don't remember much about the ride aside from being terrified. first bike. first ride. zero experience.

All the KH series were very detuned from the original models.....I had the last of the full power H1's....the H1F......new in 1975.

That was 60bhp.......and I think the successor, the KH500, was down to about 52bhp.

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

All the KH series were very detuned from the original models.....I had the last of the full power H1's....the H1F......new in 1975.

That was 60bhp.......and I think the successor, the KH500, was down to about 52bhp.

I didn't care... of "the gang" - schoolmates. I was the only one with a bike like this. they all had 4 stroke Hondas. I always had to be different... some things never change. It was practically space age as it had a separate tank for the 2T oil... so nifty. just keep it topped up and whoosh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I didn't care... of "the gang" - schoolmates. I was the only one with a bike like this. they all had 4 stroke Hondas. I always had to be different... some things never change. It was practically space age as it had a separate tank for the 2T oil... so nifty. just keep it topped up and whoosh.

Still a lot of bike for a first one though.

On 13/12/2020 at 12:24, Bludoggo said:

Hi all! So I passed the CBT on Tuesday and the weather has been awful since then so I decided to stay warm and dry inside.

This morning didn't seem awful so I decided to venture out to the very exciting first destination of... The petrol station! Whoo!

So everything went pretty well, new bike so checked everything worked before setting off then headed out, I was nervous at first as it was wet and cold but really soon things fell into place. 

Had trouble putting the fuel cap back on (why so fiddly?!), Stalled once but a very nice driver was patient, and beeped the horn for no reason which made me chuckle. Made it back in one piece! AND had fun 😊

mine was a 1976 yamaha fs1e in baja brown with the speed blocks :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, mthinesy said:

Have you got the DAS rebooked @Fish?

I was losing hope with mine, but after my MOD1 was cancelled back in November during lockdown, I got another date and passed this morning. Don't worry, it will work out in the end.

Just have my MOD2 to pass now! But unfortunately I don't have a bike to jump on!

It was due during this latest lockdown, the training centre moved it to the 4th to 6th Jan, but just emailled them as I have no work bookings for the next two weeks.

Well done on getting the Mod 1 done. :thumb:

Fish

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

didn't they call the 750 the widow maker ?

12 minutes ago, skyrider said:

didn't they call the 750 the widow maker ?

Yeh......and at one time (prior to the Z1) it was the fastest bike on the road.

But in reality it wasn't that wild......it had a much more even spread of power than the 500, and except for top end wasn't really any quicker.

The 500 had 60hhp and the 750 had 72bhp (IIRC).....and the 500 was quite a bit lighter.

Plus it had the on/off power delivery where under 6K you thought you were running of petrol.......and when it hit 6K it stood up on end and you'd find yourself looking at the sky. 

Lot of fun.......but at 25mpg you spent your life stopping at petrol stations.

Edited by XTreme