Number plate changes from Sept 2021

Slowlycatchymonkey

Apparently we have number plate changes coming. Not sure what the ‘new British Standard’ is though!

Your members may also wish to note that from 1 January it will no longer be permissible to fix a new number plate displaying a Euro symbol. Number plates already fixed to vehicles are unaffected. We will also be introducing a new British Standard for number plates produced from 1 September 2021 which will mean all current style number plates that are first fixed to a vehicle from that date must meet the technical requirements contained in that standard.

Nothing stops you from getting some duct tape over the EU symbol instead of replacing it.

The number plates will stay the same size, just the symbol will be removed. :thumb: 

12 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

No need for any concern it’s states-  “Number plates already fixed to vehicles are unaffected.” 

The Gammons will be ripping those off straight away.......they want their freedom!

And they're not prepared to live their life any longer under the Federal Jackboot of the crooked EU!

Eo44Y6DW8AAy0kd.thumb.jpg.aca9583039633fa1b407d155374a456d.jpg

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

No need for any concern it’s states-  “Number plates already fixed to vehicles are unaffected.” 

How will they know if it was already fixed to a vehicle before 1st Jan? Eg the Plate for my Trophy has an EU symbol & is currently on a shelf, does this mean I have to fit it before 1st Jan in my garage? 🤪

I could understand if it applied to new registrations.

What a load of hastily cobbled together bollocks!!

Not shooting the messenger here by the way 😀

Just now, Mickly said:

How will they know if it was already fixed to a vehicle before 1st Jan? Eg the Plate for my Trophy has an EU symbol & is currently on a shelf, does this mean I have to fit it before 1st Jan in my garage? 🤪

You're not believing hard enough Mickly! :classic_laugh:

3 minutes ago, Mickly said:

That's a very daft question.

In Uk you will have the year in the reg number. on a click they will know if the reg is before or after Jan 1

Then if you try to buy a new plate nobody will sell one with the EU sign. By default since Sep (maybe earlier) you would have to add the symbol as an extra.

11 minutes ago, husoi said:

That's a very daft question.

In Uk you will have the year in the reg number. on a click they will know if the reg is before or after Jan 1

Then if you try to buy a new plate nobody will sell one with the EU sign. By default since Sep (maybe earlier) you would have to add the symbol as an extra.

Reg change over date in the UK is 1st March, so how the heck are they going to do that?

It's called DVLA database.

The police cars have a wee camera on the front that will read the reg and will alert for any irregularities.

Also checks for insurance, MOT and pothole tax (aka road tax)

6 minutes ago, husoi said:

It's called DVLA database.

The police cars have a wee camera on the front that will read the reg and will alert for any irregularities.

Also checks for insurance, MOT and pothole tax (aka road tax)

So the ANPR system will identify that a vehicle was registered after 1st Jan & will pick up the EU symbol therefore automatically sending a fine to the registered keeper.

However, that not what the post stated, it said fixed to a vehicle after 1st Jan, so anyone could get one & fix it to a vehicle post 1st Jan but registered before that time.

As for not being able to buy one? Are all the number plate manufacturers owned by Gammons?

• Haha 1

My grandson has an ANPR app linked to the DVLA database on his iPhone ..... such fun finding the grannies on the motorway without MOT's ..:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Trooper74

1 minute ago, Mickly said:

So the ANPR system will identify that a vehicle was registered after 1st Jan & will pick up the EU symbol therefore automatically sending a fine to the registered keeper.

However, that not what the post stated, it said fixed to a vehicle after 1st Jan, so anyone could get one & fix it to a vehicle post 1st Jan but registered before that time.

As for not being able to buy one? Are all the number plate manufacturers owned by Gammons?

I think you can have anything you like on your plate so long as it is legal. See enough with various UK regional flags etc. No idea what is actually legal though and don't really see the point of anything other than the vehicle registration which is the actual point of it all.

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Apparently we have number plate changes coming. Not sure what the ‘new British Standard’ is though!

Your members may also wish to note that from 1 January it will no longer be permissible to fix a new number plate displaying a Euro symbol. Number plates already fixed to vehicles are unaffected. We will also be introducing a new British Standard for number plates produced from 1 September 2021 which will mean all current style number plates that are first fixed to a vehicle from that date must meet the technical requirements contained in that standard.

@Slowlycatchymonkey

where did you get this gem?

I only ask as there is no mention of it ( that I can find) on the Gov.uk site that explains the regs for number plates.

My suspicion is that is has been made up by one of Farages’ bottom feeders.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, husoi said:

Yep found that, & there’s no mention of any change from 1st Jan, it also still references the EU symbol.

Found it on the Federation of British Historic Vehicle clubs under “Changes to Black & Silver Number Plates from 01.01.2021”

It’s a paragraph at the end of a communication allegedly from the DVLA, but it’s not on the DVLA website anywhere.

My theory is that the FBHVC is a hot bed of foaming at the mouth, swivel eyed, red faced Gammons.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Found it on the Federation of British Historic Vehicle clubs under “Changes to Black & Silver Number Plates from 01.01.2021”

It’s a paragraph at the end of a communication allegedly from the DVLA, but it’s not on the DVLA website anywhere.

My theory is that the FBHVC is a hot bed of foaming at the mouth, swivel eyed, red faced Gammons.

Given most historic vehicles are owned by people with relatively deep pockets i suspect that they are more heavily orientated to the EU being the source of all that is great and good in the world. I think black and silver plates are limited to vehicles over a certain age and are allowed on the grounds of historical accuracy. No idea myself though and no interest as I can't afford one.

34 minutes ago, Mickly said:

screen-shot-2018-05-14-at-12-01-30-1526295708.jpg

42 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Given most historic vehicles are owned by people with relatively deep pockets i suspect that they are more heavily orientated to the EU being the source of all that is great and good in the world. I think black and silver plates are limited to vehicles over a certain age and are allowed on the grounds of historical accuracy. No idea myself though and no interest as I can't afford one.

The fact that black & white plates apply to vehicles before 1973 makes it a very strange place to add a paragraph about EU symbols from 2021.

You are right about the classic vehicle scene being predominantly dominated by wealthy men of a certain age, these are the same ones that have moved their businesses & tax affairs abroad are going to make a financial killing.

• Like 1