Triumph Trophy Wiring Replacement

Potential where the cables cross vibrations/movement has caused the outer casings to chafe and as near to an earth point it is quite isolated in its extent of damage 

Does the seat rest onto these cables as looks like its been compressed ?

IMG_20201227_162408_5.jpg.1d15fa8d749aa34900a23eaf5ea45ef6~2.jpg

Edited by TimR

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer. Good luck with the re-wire :thumb: I've come to quite like wiring having hated it as a youngster. 

For anyone perusing this thread and not into doing their own wiring, it might be of use / interest to know that Rupert Paul (formerly of various major bike magazines) runs his own custom loom company now, and currently has a downloadable guide on his site: 

New motorcycle wiring looms. | Rupe's Rewires 

(Not in any way connected with the business, I just like Rupe).

Edited by Guest
Grammar.

3 hours ago, ZX7R said:

Bummer. Good luck with the re-wire :thumb: I've come to quite like wiring having hated it as a youngster. 

For anyone perusing this thread and not into doing their own wiring, it might be of use / interest to know that Rupert Paul (formerly of various major bike magazines) runs his own custom loom company now, and currently has a downloadable guide on his site: 

New motorcycle wiring looms. | Rupe's Rewires 

(Not in any way connected with the business, I just like Rupe).

His workshop is just down the road from me and he is lucky to work in such a great place.

Well worth a visit if you are out this way.

The nature reserve opposite have a good cafe too.

Cheers

Ian

Well I got the new loom and its for a different series of Trophy, so thats not going to work.

I stripped the wires out of the rear end and have got back to decent wire so I guess I am going to be splicing allot of wire in next few days.

Might see if I can get local sparky to do the job but might be out of my budget, I am just aware its going to need quality connections and lots of different colour wires and sizes.

Anyone know of any good kits?

@TimR looks like you where spot o at what caused the most damage, that wire is the rear brake light and main earths.  They had burned through.

IMG_20210106_144556_2.jpg

IMG_20210106_144554_1.jpg

IMG_20210106_143116_3.jpg

IMG_20210106_143113_1.jpg

IMG_20210106_143110_3.jpg

Edited by onesea

Sorry to see that. 

Earths are a pain. My wife's car had poor earths on both rear clusters leading to all sorts of things - dim lights, indicators flashing with the brake light etc. In the end I put a 17 amp tail from both clusters direct to the body right by the clusters and it was like I'd installed LEDs - so much brighter. 

As you say, probably just a case of stripping back and carefully tracing each wire and routing. 

Good luck :thumb:

Edited by Guest

41 minutes ago, onesea said:

Well I got the new loom and its for a different series of Trophy, so thats not going to work.

I stripped the wires out of the rear end and have got back to decent wire so I guess I am going to be splicing allot of wire in next few days.

Might see if I can get local sparky to do the job but might be out of my budget, I am just aware its going to need quality connections and lots of different colour wires and sizes.

Anyone know of any good kits?

@TimR looks like you where spot o at what caused the most damage, that wire is the rear brake light and main earths.  They had burned through.

IMG_20210106_144556_2.jpg

IMG_20210106_144554_1.jpg

IMG_20210106_143116_3.jpg

IMG_20210106_143113_1.jpg

IMG_20210106_143110_3.jpg

Don’t despair, a soldering iron, solder & flux plus some fresh wire & shrink wrap is all you need.

I could take a photo of the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual if you give me the model year if you like?

3 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Don’t despair, a soldering iron, solder & flux plus some fresh wire & shrink wrap is all you need.

I could take a photo of the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual if you give me the model year if you like?

Thank you I have a Haynes Manual it came with the bike, and very useful its been to..  Starting to think this bike is not keen on being on the road.  The Haynes Manual is all but worn out :D

Just trying to line a friend up who is an electrician do he can do some wire splicing, there are several different sizes.  He will do better joins than I can.

1 minute ago, onesea said:

Thank you I have a Haynes Manual it came with the bike, and very useful its been to..  Starting to think this bike is not keen on being on the road.  The Haynes Manual is all but worn out :D

Just trying to line a friend up who is an electrician do he can do some wire splicing, there are several different sizes.  He will do better joins than I can.

No worries, it’s only 7 wires, easily doable.

38 minutes ago, TimR said:

7 wires .... Look at trailer light wire ...

2 for each indicator, 1 for rear brake light, 1 for rear light & 1 earth.

Although it might just be the rear light/brake feed in which case 3

Edited by Mickly

• 1 month later...

Well this project has been on hold. It seems finding a decent auto electrician is not an easy thing.

So I have found another new loom on EBay. From similar year so fingers crossed a strip down and replace is back on the cards...

I will also run additional cable for Auxiliaries as the charging for these has been weak. Plus a relay for the horn as this is larger than standard and if used to often blows a fuse...

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2020 at 17:48, Stu said:

Jesus! 

hopefully its an easy repair 

Well the good news is the new loom was correct and is now in place, untested.

Except I have 2 wires for the starter solenoid that I don't know which way round they go.

I have had to remove the fuel tank, carbs, air filter, coils HT leads, battery box, every fairing panel and drop the radiator.

It would be easier to say the dash, engine, exhausts and wheels are still in place.

Still have to replace most of the above, but the loom is in 😁

Then it's connect battery and pray...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, onesea said:

Well the good news is the new loom was correct and is now in place, untested.

Except I have 2 wires for the starter solenoid that I don't know which way round they go.

I have had to remove the fuel tank, carbs, air filter, coils HT leads, battery box, every fairing panel and drop the radiator.

It would be easier to say the dash, engine, exhausts and wheels are still in place.

Still have to replace most of the above, but the loom is in 😁

Then it's connect battery and pray...

Does this help?02F4178D-D33D-4D8E-B1D2-04962BD7747D.jpeg.f4b2668f9ae7d5c4c6f64f6680656191.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Does this help?02F4178D-D33D-4D8E-B1D2-04962BD7747D.jpeg.f4b2668f9ae7d5c4c6f64f6680656191.jpeg

Thank you, from that picture I can tell your Trophy is post Pre VIN number 29155.

Thanks however from pictures and Haynes I am on the right track.

However I did connect her up today bits I could check all working. Including the clock 😨.  The clock has been intermittent since I owned Her, every time it’s worked another problem has developed here’s hoping new loom new start 🤞

• Like 1