Capital Punishment

MarkW

My MiL summed up why this was a pointless discussion some years ago when she justified her pro capital punishment stance by saying “WELL, WELL I’LL TELL YOU WHY IT WOULDNT MATTER IF THE GUILDFORD FOR WHERE HANGED, IF THEY’D BEEN HANGED THEY WOULDNT HAVE STILL BEEN AROUND TO MAKE A FUSS ABOUT IT WOULD THEY”

and there in lays the simplicity of some folks minds and why I should buy that cave in Spain.. let me know if some sort of evolution takes place in my lifetime.  

36 minutes ago, Bender said:

Nope I'm of an opinion that some and a very few cases are irrefutable 

Like Sally Clark? You still haven't told us if you would have pulled the lever on her after the Crown Court and the Appeals Court found her guilty...

• Like 1

Guest Swagman
3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

As usual pro death penalty mobs follow up is the sound of tumbleweed.

I don’t know why you are all so into this topic, let’s face it the death penalty is long gone and will never return, why keep harping on about what one or the others opinion is, you’re opinion is yours and theirs is theirs you will always get that, so no matter what you say you will not convince them they are wrong on either argument.

19 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Like Sally Clark? You still haven't told us if you would have pulled the lever on her after the Crown Court and the Appeals Court found her guilty...

Did she admit to doing it? 

Had she done it in the past, admitted that she had done it, served time for her previous murders and then murdered again? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Swagman said:

I don’t know why you are all so into this topic, let’s face it the death penalty is long gone and will never return, why keep harping on about what one or the others opinion is, you’re opinion is yours and theirs is theirs you will always get that, so no matter what you say you will not convince them they are wrong on either argument.

Yup this all started because I said I would happily pull the rope on the one I sent down, apparently to hold that belief though I am to personally fetch back the death sentence and I think but I may be wrong, be held responsible for every previous miscarriage of justice.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bender said:

Did she admit to doing it? 

Had she done it in the past, admitted that she had done it, served time for her previous murders and then murdered again? 

So are you saying there are different levels of 'guilty'? That a guilty verdict from two courts for killing two babies doesn't warrant the death penalty, but a previous conviction for killing another one would? And someone who admitted their guilt would automatically be executed and someone who didn't wouldn't?

I'm struggling to detect anything that even vaguely resembles logic in your argument.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bender said:

Yup this all started because I said I would happily pull the rope on the one I sent down, apparently to hold that belief though I am to personally fetch back the death sentence and I think but I may be wrong, be held responsible for every previous miscarriage of justice.

Jesus Christ - this is like pulling teeth...

Nobody has asked you - even if it were possible - to take responsibility for previous miscarriages of justice. How have you managed to arrive at that conclusion? What I am trying to get you to understand is that there is no way you can have your cake and eat it - in other words, that there is no way you can provide for the execution of the 'genuinely deserving' without simultaneously running the risk of eventually punishing the innocent. You seem to think that this is possible, based on some ability to discern those rare, special cases where the death penalty should be applied. What I am saying is that there are also cases that look exactly like rare, special cases where the death penalty should be applied, but which are nothing of the sort, and sooner or later an innocent person will be executed. Now, unless you believe that you have hit upon some infallible new method of divining truth, as yet unknown to the entire legal profession, then you mustaccept that the same injustices that have gone before will follow. From there you only have two logical positions: either that their wrongful deaths at the hands of the State are acceptable collateral damage, or that you haven't thought your position through very well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Swagman said:

I really wouldn't be too sure about that. If the last five years have taught the Tories anything it's that pandering to the basest instincts of the most impenetrably stupid members of society pays off rather well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MarkW said:

So are you saying there are different levels of 'guilty'? That a guilty verdict from two courts for killing two babies doesn't warrant the death penalty, but a previous conviction for killing another one would? And someone who admitted their guilt would automatically be executed and someone who didn't wouldn't?

I'm struggling to detect anything that even vaguely resembles logic in your argument.

So did she admit to it too? 

Did her defence rest on her admitting it

45 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Does that mean you are not arguing for the death penalty? You would happily kill the person from your trial if given free from consequence opportunity but that you are not looking to bring back the death penalty?

I wasn't particularly bothered about fetching it back but it appears I have to to pull the cord.

18 minutes ago, Bender said:

So did she admit to it too? 

Did her defence rest on her admitting it

OK, so if she admitted it she should automatically be considered for the death penalty. I can see how that might result in slightly fewer people owning up in the dock, but glossing over that for a moment how do we deal with the ones who claim they didn't do it? You appear to be reserving your harshest penalty for the ones who are honest, and either trusting to some infallible (or at least 'within an acceptable margin of error') ability to divine truth with the others, or just hedging your bets and presumably giving them life imprisonment. Is that a fair summation?

Edited by MarkW

16 minutes ago, MarkW said:

OK, so if she admitted it she should automatically be considered for the death penalty. I can see how that might result in slightly fewer people owning up in the dock, but glossing over that for a moment how do we deal with the ones who claim they didn't do it? You appear to be reserving your harshest penalty for the ones who are honest, and either trusting to some infallible (or at least 'within an acceptable margin of error') ability to divine truth with the others, or just hedging your bets and presumably giving them life imprisonment. Is that a fair summation?

No I'm going off personal experience and my willingness to send him to the gallows, still.

2 hours ago, MarkW said:

Logic like this coming soon to a jury near you. Be afraid... 😱

Apologies @S-Westerly - I'm deliberately being a twat 😉 - but phrases like "Incontrovertible DNA evidence" are enough to send a shudder down the spine of any microbiologist.

I'm not offended, interested in what you say. I know dna can be contaminated but my son in law is a cop and some of the things he's seen do make you understand why some people consider judicial killing desirable. Funnily enough he does not, but he does think certain crimes should carry life long sentences. At least then if new evidence does come to light the prisoner may get some life back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

How many hours til 2021? Cos for sheer tenacity never mind the intellectual weight Mark W has already earned a nomination for MOTY!

What for ... going on and on and on and on and fooking on...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You’re welcome. Happy New Year 🥳 

Just put my Borat Mankini on and a Ronald McDonald ginger wig  to return the favour 👍

happy new year 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Capital punishment ... was so desired by Irish terrorists that when the couldn't get it by the most horrific of acts they would starve themselves to death  .... The death wish walk amongst us ...

But on a happier note ..... the kids are back at school next week:classic_biggrin: