Smart Home?

onesea

Evohome heating: each room has its own schedule and its own thermostat. Works really well: before, the only way to get the lounge warm enough to sit in was to superheat the kitchen. Now the lounge gets warm in the evenings, while the bathroom is warm for a couple of hours in the morning. I make the room where I sit and work a bit warmer on weekdays, but it stays cooler at weekends. 

6 hours ago, bonio said:

Evohome heating: each room has its own schedule and its own thermostat. Works really well: before, the only way to get the lounge warm enough to sit in was to superheat the kitchen. Now the lounge gets warm in the evenings, while the bathroom is warm for a couple of hours in the morning. I make the room where I sit and work a bit warmer on weekdays, but it stays cooler at weekends. 

Now that sounds decent. Expensive to install I guess.

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

Now that sounds decent. Expensive to install I guess

if you have thermostatic rad valves the new ones replace the old TRV heads, receiver box by boiler and thermostat/screen lives where you want, it's all controlled by phone so you rarely need to get out your chair 😁 

It's the simplest way to have multi zone heating on existing system.

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/central-heating-controls-valves-c436/honeywell-evohome-smart-system-c417/honeywell-home-evoesspack1-evohome-base-pack-6-hr91-multi-zone-p26778/s39537?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=honeywell-home-evoesspack1-base-pack-amp-6-hr91-multi-zone-evoe-evoesspack1-base-pack-6-hr91-multi-zone-atp926g3001&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9P__BRC0ARIsAEZ6irgbwXNnN6F7DuxYOe2h3T8PuHAF6MBiuc8Hc853PmByvTUj5lv5NKYaAgpgEALw_wcB

• Thanks 2

If you have a smart speaker @Stu and are tempted by trying smart tech.

I would start in the room with speaker with some smart light bulbs.

I got 3 of these:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/bun%2fiq-wififilbulbb22%2f77208/electriq-buniqwififilbulbb2277208-smart-bulb

Needed no, useful after a couple of days initial thoughts yes.

You do need to think a little about set up and routines or whatever initially.

For 18 months we have had a smart Thermostat that has been useful (our bills have dropped a bit). Control from phone home away etc.

Just by house design I don't think individual electric TRV's would work for us.

We are open plan (dogs leave doors open) with a shortage of radiators down stairs and if we don't heat upstairs a little downstairs is constantly cold.

About the only thing they would help with is turning heading down a little quicker when fire is lit.

@Bender commented on another thread electric valves can also reduce TRV noise.

• Like 2

Just now, Bender said:

The noise is enough for me alone 😁 

It's the boiler itself that irritates me.  Service man said it was normal but being condenser it just seems to always have pump running.

You need to have kids living at home to maximise the most fun you can have with the smart speakers. 

"Hey google, play halloween sound effects in Jessicas bedroom"  is a favourite of mine to wake her up in a morning :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

We had Hive in our old house. It could be handy! Didn't really "need" it as such however, it was a freebie with a new boiler.

I'm a bit ambivalent regarding the concept of "Smart Homes". The geeky Star-Trek-fan part of me thinks its great, futuristic and dead clever, however the luddite part of me says no way. Not quite worked out what part is dominant yet...

I'm an airport engineer, and increasingly I get so sick of dealing with technology every day at work what I get home all I want is the basics... no computers, phones, technology, smart this or that, connectivity... its why I don't have anything "smart" at home, drive a basic air-cooled 125 and engage in hobbies with minimal levels of tech... hillwalking (map and compass), fishing (stick and line), flying model rockets (bits of cardboard/paper/balsa and black powder engines lit with a 9V battery)... simple pleasures.

I’m a Luddite when it comes to these things. I accept they’re useful, would make my life easier and save money but I have an ingrained aversion to adding in anything extra just because its just something else that can go wrong. When the clever underfloor heating timer went up the spout it was a total pita that’s never been fully resolved but when the crap mechanical bimetallic strip thermostat in another area wore out after decades of use it was no problem you just turned the dial until you heard it snap.

I prefer basic controls preferably dials you can turn to buttons you press (that often have to be pressed in a particular sequence to make them work), hard wired to wifi and the minimal number of settings because you often read the manual and end up only using 2 maybe 3 options. 
Given the choice I’d probably be using dashboards with toggle switches, you know the sort you know have definitely been pressed 😂

B5D50C65-CC36-41B9-BBA3-D6C9C1B0186D.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 125cc said:

....... I get so sick of dealing with technology every day at work what I get home all I want is the basics... no computers, phones, technology, smart this or that, connectivity... its why I don't have anything "smart" at home, drive a basic air-cooled 125 and engage in hobbies with minimal levels of tech... hillwalking (map and compass), fishing (stick and line), flying model rockets (bits of cardboard/paper/balsa and black powder engines lit with a 9V battery)... simple pleasures.

I spent my time where my job was computer screens and horizon. I have similar thoughts.  However I am also all for making life easier.

you mention hill walking and map and compass, We walk the new forest not hills er has becomebut very easy to get misplaced in. ViewRanger has become my point of call, for routes and navigation.

ok it’s different down hear but a worthy walking app you can Pre plan on line and walk on phone.  There community suggested routes as well, often takes me on walks I would not think off.

wont mention using it sailing (no it doesn’t do charts) as some on here might get upset but it dose work well. Then my boat only has 30 year old gps and paper charts.

• Like 1

@Slowlycatchymonkey when it comes to car heater controls I'm exactly the same. I much prefer my cars old fashioned knobs to my Wife's digital thing. One to change heat and another to alter fan speed. On hers there is tons of different buttons as its all climate controlled for each passenger or something like that  :lol:

When driving I really don't want to spend all my time looking at what the buttons actually do :shock:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m a Luddite when it comes to these things. I accept they’re useful, would make my life easier and save money but I have an ingrained aversion to adding in anything extra just because its just something else that can go wrong. When the clever underfloor heating timer went up the spout it was a total pita that’s never been fully resolved but when the crap mechanical bimetallic strip thermostat in another area wore out after decades of use it was no problem you just turned the dial until you heard it snap.

I prefer basic controls preferably dials you can turn to buttons you press (that often have to be pressed in a particular sequence to make them work), hard wired to wifi and the minimal number of settings because you often read the manual and end up only using 2 maybe 3 options. 
Given the choice I’d probably be using dashboards with toggle switches, you know the sort you know have definitely been pressed 😂

B5D50C65-CC36-41B9-BBA3-D6C9C1B0186D.jpeg

Now THAT'S the kind of control panel I like to see...

No screens that pack in/hurt your eyes, no dodgy buggy software, no feckin touchscreens... Switches, dials and bulbs all the way!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 125cc said:

We had Hive in our old house. It could be handy! Didn't really "need" it as such however, it was a freebie with a new boiler.

I'm a bit ambivalent regarding the concept of "Smart Homes". The geeky Star-Trek-fan part of me thinks its great, futuristic and dead clever, however the luddite part of me says no way. Not quite worked out what part is dominant yet...

I'm an airport engineer, and increasingly I get so sick of dealing with technology every day at work what I get home all I want is the basics... no computers, phones, technology, smart this or that, connectivity... its why I don't have anything "smart" at home, drive a basic air-cooled 125 and engage in hobbies with minimal levels of tech... hillwalking (map and compass), fishing (stick and line), flying model rockets (bits of cardboard/paper/balsa and black powder engines lit with a 9V battery)... simple pleasures.

I hadn’t read your reply when I posted mine but I’m with you 100% I even looked for a Star Trek gif but couldn’t find what I was after!

I love sat nav and the idea of switching on the oven so dinners ready when I walk through the door but all this stuff comes at a cost, not the financial cost but the amount of time spent engaged with it, it’s tiresome. I mostly ride with no sat nav even though when I need it I really need it and prefer peace and quiet to alerts and chimes. 

My rather brilliant new kettle which I’m very enamoured of started alarming at me the other day. Apparently it wants descaling, I don’t have the appropriate descaler so for a week every time I wanted a sodding cup of tea (which is often) lights flash and things ping. Being nagged by my kettle annoys the living daylights out of me. 

Similarly my clever Apple Watch spends a lot of time sat on the bedside table, I don’t want to be tapped because I’ve reached some stupid goal set by someone else!

Wrestling with it all seems to come down to whether the thing that’s supposedly making your life easier is actually yet another thing to think about that must be engaged with or whether it really just efficiently gets on with making your life easier without bothering you or breaking.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, onesea said:

I spent my time where my job was computer screens and horizon. I have similar thoughts.  However I am also all for making life easier.

you mention hill walking and map and compass, We walk the new forest not hills er has becomebut very easy to get misplaced in. ViewRanger has become my point of call, for routes and navigation.

ok it’s different down hear but a worthy walking app you can Pre plan on line and walk on phone.  There community suggested routes as well, often takes me on walks I would not think off.

wont mention using it sailing (no it doesn’t do charts) as some on here might get upset but it dose work well. Then my boat only has 30 year old gps and paper charts.

I also fly privately, the aircraft I fly are 40 years old with minimal analogue instrumentation and a few switches. Navigation via ye olde 1:500k chart, compass/DI and clock. All good fun!

GPS takes the fun and skill out of it (Follow The Magenta Line) however it is handy if you cock it all up and get lost.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I hadn’t read your reply when I posted mine but I’m with you 100% I even looked for a Star Trek gif but couldn’t find what I was after!

I love sat nav and the idea of switching on the oven so dinners ready when I walk through the door but all this stuff comes at a cost, not the financial cost but the amount of time spent engaged with it, it’s tiresome. I mostly ride with no sat nav even though when I need it I really need it and prefer peace and quiet to alerts and chimes. 

My rather brilliant new kettle which I’m very enamoured of started alarming at me the other day. Apparently it wants descaling, I don’t have the appropriate descaler so for a week every time I wanted a sodding cup of tea (which is often) lights flash and things ping. Being nagged by my kettle annoys the living daylights out of me. 

Similarly my clever Apple Watch spends a lot of time sat on the bedside table, I don’t want to be tapped because I’ve reached some stupid goal set by someone else!

Wrestling with it all seems to come down to whether the thing that’s supposedly making your life easier is actually yet another thing to think about that must be engaged with or whether it really just efficiently gets on with making your life easier without bothering you or breaking.

This is one of the things that bugs me massively about modern tech... constant bings, bongs and notifications. Seatbelt no fastened, BONG BONG BONG... lights left on, BONG BONG BONG... tailgate left open due to oversized item, BONG BONG BONG, smartphone in work/at home, constant notifications from SM, newsfeeds, texts, BONG BONG feckin BONG... jeeeeeeezus wept its enough to drive you tae the drink and fags. :roll:

• Haha 2

Yep your posts sum it up. It’s wearing and disruptive. It’s fun when it’s new and you’re marvelling at how clever it all is but they carry a time price which seems tiny for each individual items but add them all up and they’re just time consuming and annoying. 
I think my wireless printer is brilliant but sometimes it’s also close to being smashed into small pieces. 

I used to go to a 1920’s hotel on an island that had no technology past approximately that era. No mobile reception, no televisions in the bedrooms just an old wireless with satisfying turny dials and positive switches and a Bakelite phone. It was bliss. I still go occasionally (obviously not at the moment) but it’s not the same, new owners so it’s been revamped a bit with wifi throughout etc it’s not the same. 

Anyway  @125cc  who are you? I’ve looked at the welcome thread and can’t see your “Hi Im such n such I mainly ride in circles on sundays” type intro, it might have got lost in the transfer or I may well have missed it as I’ve been away... on a sabbatical of sorts. 

Ahhhhh wireless printing, so useful and yet so utterly infuriating at times. The amount of bother I have at work with said devices does my blood pressure no good.

Been on the forum for a while but haven't logged on for some time, been too busy with work etc, didn't realise we'd changed to a new format until I logged on today!

1 minute ago, 125cc said:

Ahhhhh wireless printing, so useful and yet so utterly infuriating at times. The amount of bother I have at work with said devices does my blood pressure no good.

Been on the forum for a while but haven't logged on for some time, been too busy with work etc, didn't realise we'd changed to a new format until I logged on today!

Well welcome back. Works particularly boring today then? 😂

My new e-reader arrives today. A perfect example of great tech that comes at a price. I’ve joined the library, looked up how to borrow free ebooks and it’s not straight forward owing to having to download a licence for the book to a laptop or similar before you can then put it on your device.
I have that feeling of excitement mixed with a trepidation you get when you know somethings not going to be straight forward. 
I opted for the one I have because it had actual buttons on the side for turning the page rather than a touch screen which according to the reviews is much easier to use.. who knew... 🙄

• Like 1

EBooks are quite good and useful, however being a luddite I still think there's something very special about going to Waterstones and picking up printed books.

Also hurrefly flicking thru Haynes manuals with oily, greasy hands trying to work out how to get that feckin awkward part out is impossible with tablets! Paper all the way :D

14 minutes ago, 125cc said:

EBooks are quite good and useful, however being a luddite I still think there's something very special about going to Waterstones and picking up printed books.

Also hurrefly flicking thru Haynes manuals with oily, greasy hands trying to work out how to get that feckin awkward part out is impossible with tablets! Paper all the way :D

Agree any instruction manual or factual reference books are all better in paper.