Textile Jacket/Trousers Lifespan

G'day folks. Hope you're all keeping well.

What's the usual expected lifespan of textile jackets/trousers? I have a Richa Infinity which is 2.5 years old, worn daily and hand-washed 2/3 times a year. Great kit however the zip for the inner lining is now busted and the velcro neck fastening is now very weak. I'm wondering if its time to either get it fixed if possible or get a new jacket (gulp).

I've heard 5-10 years as a rough figure so I'm hoping I'll get more use out of it yet. The Richa stuff has been excellent in all terms, the above issues excepted.

Regards

125cc

I’ll never touch Richa again after a bad customer service experience.

I bought a pair of their gloves at the NEC bike show & within a year and about 5k miles one of the finger tips became unstitched.

I contacted Richa & they said that without a receipt they wouldn’t do anything, so be warned, all ways file your receipts & don’t buy Richa stuff.

I bought the kit along with my bike so I think I've still got the receipts somewhere...

Have contacted the dealer to see if they can be of any assistance.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, my gear has held up pretty well in 2.5 years of daily commuting in all weathers, always got me to and from home safe, warm and dry, plus the trousers protected me very well when I fell off so I can vouch as to their crashworthiness... :roll:

125cc

My Heine Gericke Stuff held up great in all weathers for 5/6 years and I'm betting its still ok for use now. I actually last used it on holiday in Iceland as its the warmest coat I own that's also ok to get wet :lol:

It will last forever if you don't use it! and not as long if you use it everyday ;-)

How much use it has will have a major impact on how long it lasts so its a hard question to answer really 

• Like 1

Have a leather jacket since 1991, stopped using it because for some odd reason it has shrunk around the waist 😏

Got another second hand one from a lady that after kicking the blok out decided to sell all the guy's gear. have it since 2010 and was around 7 yrs when I got it.

Both still in perfect condition.

Take care of your leathers and they will take care of you.

Never had leathers but do try to look after my textiles. Hand wash as per manufacturer's instructions 2-3 times annually (basically when they start getting grotty, as now, so due) and left to drip-dry. Might be able to get the zip and velcro sorted so will see. Would be good to get another few years out of them yet as they've served me well so far.

125cc

4 hours ago, Tiggie said:

My Heine Gericke Stuff held up great in all weathers for 5/6 years and I'm betting its still ok for use now. I actually last used it on holiday in Iceland as its the warmest coat I own that's also ok to get wet :lol:

yes Hein Gericke gear is good stuff i have two jackets and some trousers of theirs warm and waterproof :thumb:

• Like 1

One thing you may want to do after washing is to add some waterproofing agent.

Outdoor shops usually have them, you can either add it to the wash (normally quick wash replacing the detergent with waterproofing.

There are some sprays but I would stay away from it as it doesn't soak as well as the normal one.

I've got some WP spray somewhere that's meant for boots. Haven't had to use it however as I've never had any issues. Usually keeping the kit clean avoids any problems. Good idea though for long-term protection, thanks!

125cc

These are probably the most well known. I use them on my fabric trousers.

I know ebay have larger bottles for better value.

https://www.trespass.com/nikwax-tx-direct-wash-in-300ml#color_code=Not+Applicable

For leather I use my own homemade product.

Beewax, olive oil and castor oil. usually on a 1:2:1 parts, changing the olive oil will either make it more fluid or thicker.

Edited by husoi

Rukka trousers, I've had them 6yrs, used every year through winter weather.  Washed each spring as per manufacturers guidelines and treated with Nikwax.  Still fully waterproof and I'm hoping I get at least another 6yrs use out of them.  The trousers have outlasted one or two of my bikes, they're not cheap but in this case, and if you do ride in winter weather, then I feel that they're worth the money.  I have Rukka jacket as well but only had that 2 or 3yrs.

Replacement zips and velcro can usually be handled by Timpsons they can be found in little caravan type jobbies outside supermarkets where I live.

I have used them in the past and they don`t do a bad job (even got the zip replaced on my oldest leather jacket which was my 21st birthday present back in 1983 and yes I can still get in it, its horse hide and the lady said they would never try to stitch that again lol)

Cheers

Ian.