Drift ghost x

Had this a couple of years now with hit and miss results.

Started out OK but started having trouble charging as in it wouldn't, got sent away, came back as firmware updated and working fine.

Plugged it in left on charge over night, still sat charging and would only last about 20mins.

Put it in cupboard and left it for most of 2020, dug it out today with intention of taking it apart and seeing if I could get to the battery, tried charging, still same, no real surprise.

Did a bit googling, advice is to, reset device plug in charger, unplug, plug back in, before doing that I noticed another firmware was available.

Updated firmware, followed reset, put it on charge, it's now back working fine, fully charged in a couple of hours and had it sat powered up for another couple on battery.

Stuck this up in the event someone else has similar probs.

I had charging problems with mine on one occasion,  firmware upgrade sorted it.  My two biggest gripes were sound and the camera not recording.  Wherever I mounted the camera the sound quality was crap.  I sorted it with a remote Microphone after getting advise here on the forum and am much happier with it now.  I found out that it was failing to record because I was pressing the record button straight after powering the camera on, apparently, after powering on, they suggest leaving it for ten to twenty seconds before hitting the record button.  I just wish these snippets of advice were made clear in the instructions.  Overall it's a good little camera despite the initial problems, I think I still prefer GoPro though.

55 minutes ago, husoi said:

WTF is a drift ghost with a kiss? 🤔🙂

A helmet mountable camera which could be really good but isn't.  I had a Ghost 4K which was good until it got caught in heavy prolonged rain whereupon it died never to recover. Tried a Gopro but the battery life was pisspoor. Then got a Ghost XL which is waterproof and although not 4K is a good enough resolution (1080). It's battery also lasts about 9 hours. So far seems good.

Ah rite :) 

I got a chinese crap dual camera. image is really rubbish not even close to HD as they say, the good thing is that is connected to the bike's battery so doesn't run out.

But sound is horrible and image looks like a 50's movie. 🙄

But that is what you get for cheap stuff.

Edited by husoi
  • Like 1

Still seems a bit bizarre that there still hasn't been some collaboration going on between various manufacturers, to actually produce something that covers our specific needs in a helmet camera system.

3 minutes ago, dynax said:

Still seems a bit bizarre that there still hasn't been some collaboration going on between various manufacturers, to actually produce something that covers our specific needs in a helmet camera system.

If drift could make the 4k waterproof get 5hrs out the battery and sort an easy connection for external mic it would be pretty sorted, lots of ifs though

4 minutes ago, dynax said:

Like an add on camera front and rear, auto start with engine.
Optional Bluetooth input for those that want to add audio ie Dash cam for bikes with options for audio...
The tech is there just someone ha to put it together as usable package. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

If drift could make the 4k waterproof get 5hrs out the battery and sort an easy connection for external mic it would be pretty sorted, lots of ifs though

I think the problems arise because they are trying to fit everything into a compact unit.

Maybe the solution is to have a seperate camera and battery/electronic gubbins pack.

8 minutes ago, Bender said:

When I bought my XL the fellow in the shop told me they expected the 4K to be discontinued and for them to push the XL. Given its cheaper, waterproof to a degree and has a 9 hour battery life its a definite improvement. The mic is still absolutely dire though.

4 hours ago, husoi said:

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 1

The 4K in that mode only had a battery life of less than 2 hours if using the standard battery. If you got the expanded version about 4. I never used it as I'm not watching my recordings on an enormous  4k TV. I'm not making art works!

55 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

The 4K in that mode only had a battery life of less than 2 hours if using the standard battery. If you got the expanded version about 4. I never used it as I'm not watching my recordings on an enormous  4k TV. I'm not making art works!

It's the detail that's needed in the event of an incident, I had a car run straight through a junction missing me by inches, had the ghost on max res and quality and could not get one frame where the number plate was legible. 

I've used 2k at 30fps and the quality difference is huge when looking at detail.

OK update on charging.

The last firmware update has sorted charging issue, it has also changed how it displays charging, gone are the red for charging and green for charged.

It now displays charging in the rear display and switches off when charged.

It now appears to be picky with charger, it won't do anything with my Sony USB charger but works fine with I phone charger, I can live with that.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 23:14, Bender said:

Had this a couple of years now with hit and miss results.

Started out OK but started having trouble charging as in it wouldn't, got sent away, came back as firmware updated and working fine.

Plugged it in left on charge over night, still sat charging and would only last about 20mins.

Put it in cupboard and left it for most of 2020, dug it out today with intention of taking it apart and seeing if I could get to the battery, tried charging, still same, no real surprise.

Did a bit googling, advice is to, reset device plug in charger, unplug, plug back in, before doing that I noticed another firmware was available.

Updated firmware, followed reset, put it on charge, it's now back working fine, fully charged in a couple of hours and had it sat powered up for another couple on battery.

Stuck this up in the event someone else has similar probs.

I looked these up on youtube and saw nothing but trouble. But it did seem like a fix was found late 2020 which must be what has happened to you.. Great cameras when work it seems

• Like 1

I think going of my Sony charger not working it may have shed some light on it, before it would show as charging with it but I don't think it was, all it was doing was showing the red charging light but not actually doing anything.

Now it just does nothing, that's probably what I used to try to charge it with most of the time, I have plenty of others, it works with the alexa USB, the now TV and my sena as well as the wife's why phone charger.

I love the reasonably discrete design, I have no issues with wind noise and can't really tell the difference when it's attached or not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bender said:

I think going of my Sony charger not working it may have shed some light on it, before it would show as charging with it but I don't think it was, all it was doing was showing the red charging light but not actually doing anything.

Now it just does nothing, that's probably what I used to try to charge it with most of the time, I have plenty of others, it works with the alexa USB, the now TV and my sena as well as the wife's why phone charger.

I love the reasonably discrete design, I have no issues with wind noise and can't really tell the difference when it's attached or not.

Is it the 4k one or the one before the XL. they confuse me lol

• Like 1

Xl is new one. 4k and the x were sold at same time, think they still sell all 3, the x and the 4k have the ability to add an extra battery but they are not waterproof, mines survived a few showers.

The xl is the x with extra battery built in and more waterproof