Can bikes stall in neutral?

James Vincero

I've been renting a Yamaha XSR 155 for about 2 months now. I thought it best to learn to ride on my own bike because I feel my newbie riding won't be healthy for the bike and I can be responsible for any wear and tear it may cause. I also figured it would give me real world hands on experience of what it's like to go to the shop and have my own mistakes fixed so I could understand what I do and what problem it causes.

So I went out and bought myself a Yamaha Scorpio 225cc. It the highest displacement bike I've ever ridden (except for a 3 minute test drive on a Kawasaki Estrella which I'm not gonna count).

It's a 2012 so it has some issues with it (one really lazy owner).

The biting point on the clutch when I bought it was about 3mm from fully clenched and the mechanic fixed it up a little but still not great. I think it may need to be replaced.

From the start it has always stalled, in neutral if the revs got bellow a certain point.

My understanding of neutral is it exists to keep the engine idling when there's now power running through the engine. 

I've since test ridden another Scorpio and it had the same issue too!

I've never had it on any of the other bikes I've test ridden (Kawasaki W175, Yamaha XSR155, Kawasaki KLX 150, Honda CSR 150).

Maybe this is a new thing I'm having to get to grips with with post 200cc bikes, or maybe there's another issue with my bike.

Is this normal?

Edited by James Vincero

For what you say, and not enough details, you are describing a fuel shortage.

If previous owner was as lazy as you say check the fuel filter to start with.

You're right - the bike isn't meant to stall in neutral.

If is does stall, it could mean

• The idle is set too low (Like TimR said)
  • The engine isn't running as smoothly as it should (either a problem with fuelling, the mix of air and fuel coming from the carbs, or with delivering the spark)
  • The clutch isn't fully disengaged

Best to check each of these in turn

Edited by bonio
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bonio said:

• The engine isn't running as smoothly as it should (either a problem with fuelling, the mix of air and fuel coming from the carbs, or with delivering the spark)

It stalls actually in neutral as well.

I took it to the shop today and they said the clutch is shot, it needs a new clutch but also the carburettor is dirty and possible damaged.

They didn't check the idle but that could also be an issue for it.

Thanks guys.

Good to know it's not something new I have to learn about higher displacement bikes lol.

This is a well known problem with the Himalayan. Usually attributed to the vapour recycling system that has an influence on tank breathing. Having a kinked or partially trapped hose causes the engine to cut out in neutral, usually at the lights !

I removed the entire system .... not had an issue since.

So check your tank breathing system ....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

So check your tank breathing system ....

Known fault in the Triumph Trophy to,  the general recommendation that I cannot suggest for health and safety reasons is to try riding with the cap open.

• Haha 1

On 08/02/2021 at 16:44, bonio said:

The guys at Yamaha said it was due to a dirty carb and some cart of the carb was damaged. They've replaced that part, cleaned it and set the idle higher. They say she's good to come pick up tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 10/02/2021 at 11:52, James Vincero said:

The guys at Yamaha said it was due to a dirty carb and some cart of the carb was damaged. They've replaced that part, cleaned it and set the idle higher. They say she's good to come pick up tomorrow!

Awesome news! And how does it run now? 

On 10/02/2021 at 11:52, James Vincero said:

@James Vincero

That's great, hope it's running like it's supposed to 👍 

As your using the term shop I'm guessing your not based in the UK, where abouts are you?