Car Aircon

onesea

Thinking about topping up my air con and hopefully doing same for misses. 

However hers may have more than a gas leak..

By my reading I should be able to top mine up with this kit..

There should be enough gas left to prove my misses car can hold pressure.

Is it difficult? There is you tube videos for my car so I know where to connect.

Are they over simplifying? Warm car, Connect hose up to pressure as per bottle.

Or am I better paying £50 a car at Halfords. £60 at ATS

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/car-aircon-air-con-conditioning-top-up-topup-recharge-refill-regas-diy-gas-kit~c11000~p24723336/

Edited by onesea

Kwik fit advertise a free check and £50 refill if the system can be refilled. That might be a safer bet for your wife's car if you think it might have a problem.

The gas is nasty stuff so if you suspect your wife's car is leaking I wouldn't try a DIY refill.

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Kwik fit advertise a free check and £50 refill if the system can be refilled. That might be a safer bet for your wife's car if you think it might have a problem.

The gas is nasty stuff so if you suspect your wife's car is leaking I wouldn't try a DIY refill.

Normally I would agree, however repairing AC is probably worth more than car, compressor cooler etc which costs 100's plus labor 

However my research says the kit above should top mine up. Then give hers enough gas to see if it works and holds pressure.

5 hours ago, onesea said:

Thinking about topping up my air con and hopefully doing same for misses. 

However hers may have more than a gas leak..

By my reading I should be able to top mine up with this kit..

There should be enough gas left to prove my misses car can hold pressure.

Is it difficult? There is you tube videos for my car so I know where to connect.

Are they over simplifying? Warm car, Connect hose up to pressure as per bottle.

Or am I better paying £50 a car at Halfords. £60 at ATS

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/car-aircon-air-con-conditioning-top-up-topup-recharge-refill-regas-diy-gas-kit~c11000~p24723336/

100% go to halfords, used to buy something similar to that few years back , although from memory was a lot cheaper than one in your link,

sometimes they would work sometimes they would'nt .

Took my old peugeot to Halfords, they did a free pressure check and found it was leaking somewhere so just left it.

Unless its a decent car where not having the AC will harm any value I'd leave it.

Must admit my M3 is the first car I've ever owned with working A.C. and wouldn't be without it on the 3 days of summer we get.

43 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

Took my old peugeot to Halfords, they did a free pressure check and found it was leaking somewhere so just left it.

Unless its a decent car where not having the AC will harm any value I'd leave it.

Must admit my M3 is the first car I've ever owned with working A.C. and wouldn't be without it on the 3 days of summer we get.

Misses wants her working for the dogs...

I used one of those bottles on my old V70.

The condenser let go at some point in the process and dumped the lot in a big chuff of a cloud. Scared the shit out of the neighbours kids. :thumb:

I put a new condenser on it and had a bloke come and fill it up. I think it was about £40. It lasted a few months before it leaked out so I didn't bother again.

If the AC hasn't run for a while there might be air in the system, or worse, water. Also you might overcharge it, or it might just all leak out immediately. So you'll be lucky if you just fire some gas in and it works. 

The right way to do it is

1. Pressure test with nitrogen @400psi

2. If it holds pressure vac the system. 

3. Weigh the correct amount of refrigerant in. Don't put extra in, it'll knacker the compressor.