What are the electric options?

James in Brum

Thanks Bonio :-)

I looked into the imbued carbon thing a while ago. It was always said that buying a new eco car was not as good as keeping an old car running. 
currently we have a 17 year old Corolla we keep going. I read an exploration of this that disputed it pretty strongly and suggested that the difference was n debt was nullified within only a couple

of years. That was comparing ICE I think.

I’m just musing for now, I already do a variety of bits and bobs to shit on the earth a bit less this would be something  else but I can’t really afford it right now. 

• Like 1

Its the small stuff that makes a big difference. Led bulbs. Buy less. Travel less. Throw less food away.

I'm crap at it.

• Like 1

We do a lot of that stuff most of the time. Not always because we’re human and sometimes life is harder than at others :-)

I do also just like new engineering and like the idea of the bikes. I might test one.

plus starting up outside the house would annoy less neighbours if no noise. I leave for work at 05:45 when I go in.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

We do a lot of that stuff most of the time. Not always because we’re human and sometimes life is harder than at others :-)

I do also just like new engineering and like the idea of the bikes. I might test one.

plus starting up outside the house would annoy less neighbours if no noise. I leave for work at 05:45 when I go in.

fook the neighbours i say.

On 31/07/2021 at 13:23, James in Brum said:

They’re not that attractive Six,  nice people but I wouldn’t want to f**k em. 

all this stuff said and I am off to look and a discovery to replace the Corolla. 

Discovery , probably £500 a year to tax, guzzling gas like no tomorrow…. 
oh the irony 

Edited by Six30

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

Discovery , probably £500 a year to tax, guzzling gas like no tomorrow…. 
oh the irony 

600 if its newish, me I'm looking at early 4.2 supercharged v8 as tax is cheaper 😂 think as I'm a 🦕 might as well make the most of the last days of petroleum

• Like 1

this thread is just a wind up, you  want to replace a petrol bike with electric bike to do your bit and shit less on the planet and in the next breath your buying a 2.7 diesel thats 13 years old :shock: ........ 

38 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Yup, but maybe we will be lucky. :-)

You might but the odds are stacked heavily against you. 

@skyriderengine wise for reliability yes, disco 1 body rots, disco 2 chassis rots, disco 3 rot mostly eradicated but engine is shit, air suspension problematic and electrical gremlins from rr were carried over. 

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

You might but the odds are stacked heavily against you. 

@skyriderengine wise for reliability yes, disco 1 body rots, disco 2 chassis rots, disco 3 rot mostly eradicated but engine is shit, air suspension problematic and electrical gremlins from rr were carried over. 

so what are you saying, shogun everytime ?

On 30/07/2021 at 22:16, James in Brum said:

I am happy for someone to show me that ICE is better. The distances I commute are not practical on a

pushbike otherwise I would do it :-) 

I used to commute from Kingstanding to Lode Lane (Br Gas) on a pushbike. Mind, that was 35 years ago. I must have been barking. 

There is a further financial advantage to an electric bike - servicing costs are generally lower. No messing about with oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plug changes for a start… how much is that every few thousand miles? 

You can see where UK electricity comes from here

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

mate has had zero’s for about 5 years now, has highest mileage zero around and zero approached him for feedback. He uses it for a daily round trip 60 mile commute, loves it. I don’t think the range is good enough yet for other than commute.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Essem said:

You can see where UK electricity comes from here

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

mate has had zero’s for about 5 years now, has highest mileage zero around and zero approached him for feedback. He uses it for a daily round trip 60 mile commute, loves it. I don’t think the range is good enough yet for other than commute.

Your mate sounds like the kind of real world user whose opinion might actually be worth listening to.

I have been hearing so much from so called experts and people who frankly are just saying what they think we should hear.

I suppose that soon the opinions of people who have done proper mileage will start to come through rather like they are starting to in the car world.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Six30 said:

Horse and cart it is then. 

Sounds good . You will pay a Farrier , a Vet , a Cartwright and a Wheelwright to name but a few . You will also need to pay for vetinary insurance , grazing and  livery and if we all follow your lead , we will need  an army of people to scrape up all the shit from the roads . 

• Haha 1