Long distance commute with a CBT

ralphation

Hi

I'm doing my CBT soon. Plan is to then buy something to commute in on. 100 miles per round trip, mostly on an A road that is, in effect, a motorway but also some riding through London.

Should I 

a) get a Honda CB125R (2nd hand, high mileage but from an official dealer)

b) new Honda CB125R

c) get a Piaggio MP3 300

d) New Sinnis Terrain 125

e) just go for direct access and buy a bigger bike

Plan had been to do direct access in the spring having gained a bit of experience and then graduate to a bigger bike (and then also doing weekends away, etc) but now I'm wondering if it is a waste of money (by way of depreciation) beating up a 125cc like this three times a week and I worry it will spend much time being repaired as I hear build quality ain't great. The MP3 seems a more suitable vehicle but is v expensive to begin with.

Not sure what to do for the best at this point.

Edited by ralphation

Something like the A1m? Not sure I'd like that on a 125, but people do it I'm sure. Im not much of a commute by bike fan either. This morning the rain was torrential with hardly any visibility and I was pretty happy to be in a car, however I don't have London traffic to deal with.

If you got a jap125 you shouldn't lose much on it if you decided against the commute and wanted to sell or just use it got weekend fun. Like Bender says though DAS would probably be the way forwards if you are set on a bike commute.

I used to commute south Brum to Rugby. 35 miles each way ish on A roads on a 125. I enjoyed it but after a few months craved being allowed on motorways to make it quicker and to have a quicker bike. It was enough my 125 but I wanted more.

if not e I would go a and I would avoid Chinese 125/s

• Thanks 1

I've done big commutes on a 125 (well, a 100 actually). Through towns and such is fine but an hour or more on dual carriageways get boring very quickly.

If you can, do the DAS. Otherwise don't spend too much on a 125. If you buy right than you'll likely make your money back or better.

• Thanks 1

125s are fine for commuting short distances. But 50 miles each way, with dual carriageway and motorway to boot, is a serious journey, and I'd have thought it's going to be a pretty miserable experience in the dead of winter unless you're on a significantly bigger machine, with a happy-go-lucky engine, heated grips, a headlamp that puts a searchlight to shame, and a decent, sod-off screen.

A Burgman 650 would be a super-sensible option, or else a Versys 600/650, or a Honda NC750X. Better still would be something that doesn't have a chain, like a BMW F800ST or an even an R1200GS (good grief, look what I'm doing here... :shock:) - but the GS comes at a price of course. Of these, I'd suggest you have a serious look at the F800ST.

If you're looking for something to do the journey in spring, summer and autumn, then something smaller would do you, but for me, I'd still not want to flog a 125 hard up against the rev limiter for an hour each way 5 days a week.

So I'd say DAS is your one viable option.

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Option E. I commute on an MT07. just as small as a 125, excellent commuter and its agile with plenty power to pull away from danger, fast enough on M-ways. Not everyone's cup of tea (very little weather protection) but its put a smile on my commute and I like it the more I ride it. No E = No Likey  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'd also go for E.

I used to commute on a 125, great in town as they can keep up with traffic and are small enough to squeeze through gaps. Horrible on faster roads, and frankly it would scare me to try it now. 

I use a 2006 Honda CBF 500 as a work bike for traveling. It will cruise all day at motorway speeds but is also nimble enough to filter through traffic. You don't need anything huge to cover 100 mile round trip. 

If you're looking at all weather commuting you want decent gear. A wet motorway in freezing weather can lower your body temperature pretty quickly and then you lose concentration which isn't good on two wheels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1