Return to an old hobby .

fastbob

31 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Below is an image of that flight. I'd never heard this story before Thanks for highlighting that one

Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_Gary_Eason_2_xgaplus.jpg

How about Operation Squabble ? https://rafa.org.uk/blog/2020/06/12/it-was-crammed-with-huns-and-we-had-something-for-them/

Screenshot_20211220-160119.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FxEdjimRQdGIVKyNrdd8MQ.thumb.jpg.2aa5f351b61578bc029b03ad3116f3d7.jpg

My return to an old hobby... 

Control line Goodyear class racing.

Engines are new 3.2 and 2.5cc 2 stroke diesels turning a 7x8 propellor at 16,000 rpm

Made in Macclesfield.

The airframe was built 5 years ago, the fuselage is balsa and beech and the flying surfaces are carbon fibre over foam ..

Flying speed circa 120 mph ...

The plan is for me to build and pilot and Connor will be the pitman catching and refuelling the aircraft 3-4 times over a 100 lap race.

Practice has been in the back field with an all balsa model with out an undercarriage. 

Yep ... helmets are worn !!

🙂

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Engines are new 3.2 and 2.5cc 2 stroke diesels turning a 7x8 propellor at 16,000 rpm

Made in Macclesfield.

The airframe was built 5 years ago, the fuselage is balsa and beech and the flying surfaces are carbon fibre over foam ..

The plan is for me to build and pilot and Connor will be the pitman catching and refuelling the aircraft 3-4 times over a 100 lap race.

Practice has been in the back field with an all balsa model with out an undercarriage. 

🙂

We had a muppet who lit up one of those indoors at a club venue. Then watched a nice black line of oily exhaust residue appear all round the room until the fuel ran out.

The following week another clot lashed a gas turbine to a table with the exhaust pointing out of the window. Unfortunately it was going full pelt when the club steward walked across the car park and saw the cone of flame jetting out of the window.

We got banned after that. 

2 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Made in Macclesfield.

🙂

Me and my brothers used to build and fly control line planes in the mid 70s or so and I've still got all 3 of the engines and the last plane I built, flew, crashed, rebuilt etc.

One memorable event was a Focke wolf 190 I spent ages building and then destroyed it on the first flight.

And another was letting my uncle have a go, he climbed the plane to the point it was almost overhead, the lines went slack and it nose dived into the ground.

43 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

We had a muppet who lit up one of those indoors at a club venue. Then watched a nice black line of oily exhaust residue appear all round the room until the fuel ran out.

The following week another clot lashed a gas turbine to a table with the exhaust pointing out of the window. Unfortunately it was going full pelt when the club steward walked across the car park and saw the cone of flame jetting out of the window.

We got banned after that. 

I got banned from the Keil Kraft Facebook page for commenting that control line was a " Tethered aerofoil " and therefore not truly flying which I thought was a little unfair . I'm into the more gentle and fragile art of electric powered stick and tissue designs . 

Screenshot_20211020-130006.png

Screenshot_20211020-130341.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

We had one of these.

Trying to land a model of an F4 Phantom in my parents lounge in Xmas 1974 or 5.

http://www.stuffwelove.co.uk/flightdeck.htm

I made my own version of that with a string that ran the length of the garden and an Airfix Fairy Battle suspended below a pulley . 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I got banned from the Keil Kraft Facebook page for commenting that control line was a " Tethered aerofoil " and therefore not truly flying which I thought was a little unfair . I'm into the more gentle and fragile art of electric powered stick and tissue designs . 

Screenshot_20211020-130006.png

Screenshot_20211020-130341.png

We started off with gliders, 1 metre wingspan Keilkraft IIRC.

Slightly going off topic but with various operational stories shared one of my favourites is an older one more related to the Army and RN but none the less an interesting one. The Boer Wars are a bit of a forgotten one but plenty of great stories and brave folk from both sides. Both nations stood shoulder to shoulder less than 20 years later in the Great War. Seems diplomacy and moving on for the greater good are a thing of the past. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Ladysmith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I think when I retire I will get back into RC aircraft. I used to fly competition aerobatics but that wouldn't appeal now. I'm pondering electric Keil Kraft as the way to go.

I'd definitely recommend electrified KK rubber models . I've got a full size Contestor and a 200% Senator . Both are beautiful slow flyers on rudder and throttle only . The only downside is that they prefer very still air . I build from plans that are downloaded for free from Outerzone Plans ..

Screenshot_20211127-171342.png

Screenshot_20211127-171416.png

Screenshot_20211127-171441.png

Screenshot_20211127-171604.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go , another one rolls out of the hangar . Actually , to be more accurate , this evil looking implement of Nazi desperation was manufactured by mostly forced labour and furtively assembled in a forest weeks before the Allies closed in . And that is the beauty of model making , it concentrates the mind on the story behind the represented object . 

Polish_20220103_235053867.jpg

Screenshot_20220104-001044.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1

And coming soon .... It's amazing how far kits have come . Full cockpit detail and all in 1/72 scale . 

IMG_20220104_002111311.jpg

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

You have been dead busy they all look great. What's next? 

I've just started a 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk 1A by a company called Eduard . The detail and precision of this kit is ridiculous and this is the economy version without the etched brass super detailed parts . The thing is though , I'm about to spend days fiddling about with tweezers and the end result will be a cockpit interior about the size of my thumb . There is an option for an open canopy and hatch but very little will be visible . This is not mine but you can get the idea . 

Screenshot_20220125-143055.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

I've just started a 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk 1A by a company called Eduard . The detail and precision of this kit is ridiculous and this is the economy version without the etched brass super detailed parts . The thing is though , I'm about to spend days fiddling about with tweezers and the end result will be a cockpit interior about the size of my thumb . There is an option for an open canopy and hatch but very little will be visible . This is not mine but you can get the idea . 

Screenshot_20220125-143055.png

You need to get a job as a micro surgeon that's some detail 👍

On 25/01/2022 at 18:19, MikeHorton said:

You need to get a job as a micro surgeon that's some detail 👍

As I did say , that one is not mine . This one is mine . Four evenings of painstaking work and it's only the size of my finger . 

Polish_20220127_003136292.jpg

• Like 2