Rear wheel torque for a Suzuki GSR 750

marcusk

Hi!

How would I go about finding the torque for the rear wheel axle/nuts of my GSR 750? I recently bought a secondhand 2014 model and I need to adjust the chain tension and rear wheel alignment and it didn't come with a manual. I can't find anything online either or any Haynes manuals...

Also, for ref, is the newer GSR-S750 principally the same bike as I am sure there wil be more info on that around?

Cheers

Marcus

Ring a dealer?

On various cars I've had when I didn't know the front hub nut torque, I'd centre punch the end of the driveshaft and the nut inline with each other and aslong as I'd didn't change any parts, just retighten the nut until the marks lined up again. 

Obviously this assumes it was right in the first place but if it had been running ok, fair to say it wasn't far out.

• Like 1

A torque wrench (TW) should be part of the must have tools for a biker that does his/hers own servicing/repairs.

You can get all sorts of TW both digital or the traditional ones with prices from around £25 up to your annual salary 🙂

torque wrench

digital torque wrench

Make sure you get the wrench(s) that cover the toque range for your bike. Usually something 2 - 200 nm should be good enough but check with your service manual.

I prefer to use different torque wrenches for different ranges. I'm never happy using the same one for doing up crankshaft pulley bolts and camshaft journal bolts. So I have one for the lower range and one for the higher range. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I prefer to use different torque wrenches for different ranges. I'm never happy using the same one for doing up crankshaft pulley bolts and camshaft journal bolts. So I have one for the lower range and one for the higher range. 

But which do you use for the middle range? 🤔

Traditional spring load TW have always been limited to the short range which means doing as you do  @Mississippi Bullfrog

Newer digital TW have a different method for applying the torque allowing the range to be extended.

About quality and reliability I can't say about the new digital ones while "old school" ones have more than proof their worth.

Again, you will get what you're paying for, so do not to expect much from a £30 TW 🤔

Cool, thanks all! ta for the link to the user manaul (my bike didn't come with one) plus I mananged to find an old service manual on Ebay, so all the smaller torques should be in there. I I have a good 'old school' Clarke TW wrench up to 200nm but only have a super small TW for my (push)bike mechanicals, that only goes up to 15nm, so not much good on a motorbike 😆