Scotland Question?

manxie49

Doing a trek up the West coast of Scotland again in a few months time with a few mates and have a quick question.  Does anyone know what the rules are currently regarding wild camping up there?  One of the guys I'm going with believes that wardens in certain areas have clamped down on wild camping due to some "Richard Heads" littering and causing damage?  I had a root around but can't find much info other than someone saying that they were looking at imposing on the spot fines around Loch Lomond?  Anyone, maybe from North of the border, know anything regarding this?  Thanks in advance.

That is correct.

Wild camping was acceptable until a couple years ago but is now strictly controlled with fines for anybody not complying with it.

Mostly in place for the Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park it is not limited to that area.

https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/camping

and the site above :thumb: 

• Thanks 1

The situation has both improved and worsened. Camping in national parks has been totally clamped down upon, but more places have opened up to camping and camper vans as farmers/landowners/crofters have sought to stop some of the excesses of too many people wanting to wild camp camp in the same places.

• Like 1

A good website for camping sites that i use frequently

www.pitchup.com

In Scotland there are several mini sites that are nothing more than farmers that got tired of riding a tractor and opened a wee camping site instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, husoi said:

A good website for camping sites that i use frequently

www.pitchup.com

In Scotland there are several mini sites that are nothing more than farmers that got tired of riding a tractor and opened a wee camping site instead.

Thanks, will have a look at that.  Last time we went we didn't plan anything, we just went.  Apart from B&B's and the odd camp site, we camped one night in a wood not far from Oban,  and we pitched up again during the trip on a piece of grassy land, literally at the side of the road.  From the sounds of it, doesn't seem like we'd get away with that now 🙄

Edited by manxie49

• 2 months later...
On 15/02/2022 at 14:58, manxie49 said:

Doing a trek up the West coast of Scotland again in a few months time with a few mates and have a quick question.  Does anyone know what the rules are currently regarding wild camping up there?  One of the guys I'm going with believes that wardens in certain areas have clamped down on wild camping due to some "Richard Heads" littering and causing damage?  I had a root around but can't find much info other than someone saying that they were looking at imposing on the spot fines around Loch Lomond?  Anyone, maybe from North of the border, know anything regarding this?  Thanks in advance.

Don't know how I missed this . If you want some wild camping spots I can let you have a few of mine where you won't get any grief . 

• Like 1

I've been so ashamed and mad at the mess some twats leave behind, especially but not limited to Glen etive that I've stopped and tidied up after they have left. 

Cheap shit tents from tesco etc even big 6/8 berth are just left, sometime they just throw all the crap inside and shut the zip 😡 

Glencoe stopped wild camping down at road side many many years ago because of the over use and damage. 

Do it sensibly and you should have a great time. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2022 at 17:14, Bender said:

I've been so ashamed and mad at the mess some twats leave behind, especially but not limited to Glen etive that I've stopped and tidied up after they have left. 

Cheap shit tents from tesco etc even big 6/8 berth are just left, sometime they just throw all the crap inside and shut the zip 😡 

Glencoe stopped wild camping down at road side many many years ago because of the over use and damage. 

Do it sensibly and you should have a great time. 

I always do, like you, I hate people who f--k things up for everyone else and get bikers a bad name 

On 09/05/2022 at 13:31, fastbob said:

Don't know how I missed this . If you want some wild camping spots I can let you have a few of mine where you won't get any grief . 

Thanks, that would probably be useful, I've found a couple of spots but they seem few and far between, I don't want to fall foul of local restrictions that could potentially ruin things for other people 👍

39 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Thanks, that would probably be useful, I've found a couple of spots but they seem few and far between, I don't want to fall foul of local restrictions that could potentially ruin things for other people 👍

Ok , the first one is actually between Crawford and Abington and I just use it as a stop over on my way up . Second is at Poolewe and definitely the best of the three because it's got a spectacular view and bike parking . There's even a seat . The third was up a lane behind the village of Lochinver but that was more of an emergency thing . I can give more specific details by PM if you are interested . Do you have What Three Words installed ? 

Polish_20220528_233723493.jpg

Edited by fastbob
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, manxie49 said:

I always do, like you, I hate people who f--k things up for everyone else and get bikers a bad name 

i know that some people give their tents to phil at peel camp site when they are leaving to go home 

17 hours ago, fastbob said:

Ok , the first one is actually between Crawford and Abington and I just use it as a stop over on my way up . Second is at Poolewe and definitely the best of the three because it's got a spectacular view and bike parking . There's even a seat . The third was up a lane behind the village of Lochinver but that was more of an emergency thing . I can give more specific details by PM if you are interested . Do you have What Three Words installed ? 

Polish_20220528_233723493.jpg

Thanks very much for that, I was just looking on my route app.  Yes, I do have what three words, if you could let me have the location for that app it would be really appreciated, thanks. 👍

13 hours ago, skyrider said:

i know that some people give their tents to phil at peel camp site when they are leaving to go home 

They were doing the same at Glen Lough camp site, not sure if that still happens though as he now puts up tents for visiting bikers although I did see one or two people in their own tents there yesterday.  These are the most famous wild campers for TT,  been in the same place for years down at the Dhoon Glen

280756571_1549153558847745_5447154815058335936_n.jpeg

10 hours ago, manxie49 said:

They were doing the same at Glen Lough camp site, not sure if that still happens though as he now puts up tents for visiting bikers although I did see one or two people in their own tents there yesterday.  These are the most famous wild campers for TT,  been in the same place for years down at the Dhoon Glen

280756571_1549153558847745_5447154815058335936_n.jpeg

yes the german guys, have rode past them many times

11 hours ago, manxie49 said:

Thanks very much for that, I was just looking on my route app.  Yes, I do have what three words, if you could let me have the location for that app it would be really appreciated, thanks. 👍

Here we go then . 1/ scarves comically signal  2/ rail clerk giggle 3/ funded grouping wolves . 1/ is a wide open field with a view of the London to Glasgow line , the young River Clyde , the M74 and the B7076 . If you are feeling energetic , all the nearby hills have the ruins of ancient hill forts on top complete with stone hut circles. There is also a fresh water stream for your morning coffee or even a wash if you're that way inclined.  2/ has a hardstanding for the bike and is on top of a steep slope with a panoramic view of Loch Ewe . This is where the mighty Arctic Convoys were assembled . There is a solid concrete block on top of a rock that is part of a complex of gun emplacements and observation posts that still dot this coastline . 3/ This was used more in desperation than anything but it's a nice , quiet little spot about half a mile up a lane behind the village of Lochinver . It's like a little driveway to nowhere with just enough grass to get a few tentpegs into . With all of  these sites I advise arriving at dusk and leaving in the morning without trace . I'm off up there again in a few weeks and I intend to seek out more free camping locations . Hope this is helpful. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fastbob said:

Here we go then . 1/ scarves comically signal  2/ rail clerk giggle 3/ funded grouping wolves . 1/ is a wide open field with a view of the London to Glasgow line , the young River Clyde , the M74 and the B7076 . If you are feeling energetic , all the nearby hills have the ruins of ancient hill forts on top complete with stone hut circles. There is also a fresh water stream for your morning coffee or even a wash if you're that way inclined.  2/ has a hardstanding for the bike and is on top of a steep slope with a panoramic view of Loch Ewe . This is where the mighty Arctic Convoys were assembled . There is a solid concrete block on top of a rock that is part of a complex of gun emplacements and observation posts that still dot this coastline . 3/ This was used more in desperation than anything but it's a nice , quiet little spot about half a mile up a lane behind the village of Lochinver . It's like a little driveway to nowhere with just enough grass to get a few tentpegs into . With all of  these sites I advise arriving at dusk and leaving in the morning without trace . I'm off up there again in a few weeks and I intend to seek out more free camping locations . Hope this is helpful. 

Thanks very much for this, it's going to be really helpful.  Will look these up later.  Heading off just after TT, hoping the weather is going to be kind "and the midges" 👍

3 hours ago, manxie49 said:

Thanks very much for this, it's going to be really helpful.  Will look these up later.  Heading off just after TT, hoping the weather is going to be kind "and the midges" 👍

Ironically , the kinder the weather , the more vicious the Midges become . 

• Like 3