War in europe?

Bender

10 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Yes, it’s very power hungry. When brought up, its nearly always in context of using excess from renewables like wind. So during times of low load where there’s ample wind generation, rather than disconnect, divert the power to either a hydrogen production plant, or a large battery.

About half our power is produced by gas in the UK, so the situation in Russia has rung the alarm bell on that.

There is blue hydrogen, which is made from reformed methane, but I can’t get my head around the argument that it’s cleaner than methane, it comes over as a bit of a scam to me. That carbon has to go somewhere, and you release more powering the process to reform the methane, so if it’s carbon capture there’d be better places to use it in my view.

Ahh I remember seeing something about a new process from a company in US, they reckoned they could give away the hydrogen as a byproduct 🤔 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bender said:

Ahh I remember seeing something about a new process from a company in US, they reckoned they could give away the hydrogen as a byproduct 🤔 

Be good if true, but I’m skeptical. I sized up a job in Belgium last year, battery production plant that produced syngas as a byproduct. 
By the time we’d costed and sized up the plant needed to process the gas for use in jet engines, a 25MW plant was down to 7MW net power production. The issue with hydrogen is it’s usually stuck to something, or needs processing to remove impurities. 

Just read that the USA has approved 13 billion in aid for Ukraine. Not sure how quickly that translates into getting weapons into the right hands, but fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 16:19, Trooper74 said:

I have heard a rumour that there are millions of tons of coal below the fields around Drax and Ferrybridge power stations ....... can’t be true or they wouldn’t be burning wood pellets that cause greater output of harmful emissions than coal ...

I mean .. that would just be stupid !

The idiots have closed Ferrybridge and its neighbour Eggborough power stations along with Kellingley and the Selby coalfield pits.

10 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Good description, this has been a discussion in my industry (historically built a lot of gas engines), especially in regards to mixing different reactants into the methane, such as hydrogen to try and control levels of emissions.

We can reduce the CO2 output, but due to the higher burning temperatures of hydrogen, NOx output becomes a problem again. 

I’m currently working on a job in London, which is part of a district heating project. We’ve gone for a urea dosing system combined with a low NOx MTU engine.

Before this goes too far off topic, Russia has hit my companies future plans hard. Not least as we own British Gas! Who last year hoovered up customers from collapsed energy companies, honoured fixed rates for 1-2 years, and is now having to foot the bill until their tariff changes. And equally in my side of things, its highlighted the need to shift sooner to hydrogen. 

Off topic ish but.

We use Urea injection to control Nox emissions.  This works alongside the combustion air ratios as described previously.  Thats the balancing act, CO vs Nox.

The key to urea injection control is the location of injection and method. If its wrong initially and is not creating the umbrella effect then its useless. 

Urea/carbamin has nearly doubled in price post brexit. Hence why recently we've modified our system to make it more efficient. 

District heating. The dream of all councils/boroughs for the last decade. We've had it in the pipeline for the last 15 years but never finished or commissioned due to us being a single line plant.

12 hours ago, onesea said:

I am sure @S-Westerly will me along to advise that I am wrong but transporting goods in bulk by sea is surprisingly efficient.  
from his 50t a day @ saying @12kts 288 miles a day.  Say 200,000 tons of cargo.

Purists will hate my maths….

Say 800kg/m3 for fuel oil so 50t = 62500 lts ish 

62500/288 = 2232.1 lts/mile. Divide that by 200,000tons

thats 0.01116 lts per ton per nautical mile.

A nautical mile = 1.15 statute miles

A quick google say a artic does 8mg say heady at 40t that’s about 0.5 lts per mile…

Thats my style of maths. With the ish in...lol.

36 minutes ago, NeilM said:

Off topic ish but.

We use Urea injection to control Nox emissions.  This works alongside the combustion air ratios as described previously.  Thats the balancing act, CO vs Nox.

The key to urea injection control is the location of injection and method. If its wrong initially and is not creating the umbrella effect then its useless. 

Urea/carbamin has nearly doubled in price post brexit. Hence why recently we've modified our system to make it more efficient. 

District heating. The dream of all councils/boroughs for the last decade. We've had it in the pipeline for the last 15 years but never finished or commissioned due to us being a single line plant.

I think I've seen you say you work in a power station, and I'm curious, what type and what role? 

I'm E&I in CHP and localised power gen (Typically under 50MW). We get away without using urea dosing in some of the MTU engine types we use, but even the "low" stuff is now under pressure. You can see this in the SCR kit we get as well, I think the amount of sensors has doubled in the past 5 years to maintain that umbrella effect, otherwise the rated 99% reduction in NOx becomes a dream.

To bring it more on topic, I suspect the price of Urea will go up further as it's one of Russia's exports. Uralchem I think it is? And they've just applied sanctions on us... Which I can't fathom as they are the ones hurting most in these sanctions. 

I've seen too many Russian officials just deny an invasion of Ukraine is even happening. All theatre to keep as many people back home in line I guess. 

One of my Russians despite being a normally sensible chap is convinced all news on the Internet except the stuff coming out from Russia is a western plot. 🙄 

As to hydrogen generation I believe the most likely route for "green" hydrogen will be from methanol feedstock. I know there's been significant up tick in construction of methanol tankers and the rumour is its going to be used for hydrogen manufacture. Some interesting stuff about it on Internet.

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I'm E&I in CHP and localised power gen (Typically under 50MW). We get away without using urea dosing in some of the MTU engine types we use, but even the "low" stuff is now under pressure. You can see this in the SCR kit we get as well, I think the amount of sensors has doubled in the past 5 years to maintain that umbrella effect, otherwise the rated 99% reduction in NOx becomes a dream.

In future please keep your posts in English :wink:

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I think I've seen you say you work in a power station, and I'm curious, what type and what role? 

To bring it more on topic, I suspect the price of Urea will go up further as it's one of Russia's exports. Uralchem I think it is? And they've just applied sanctions on us... Which I can't fathom as they are the ones hurting most in these sanctions. 

I've seen too many Russian officials just deny an invasion of Ukraine is even happening. All theatre to keep as many people back home in line I guess. 

I'm a shift manager in an EFW.

Mechanical bias originally. 

Thick as a brick me. Left school at 16 and did it the hard way.....lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NeilM said:

I'm a shift manager in an EFW.

Mechanical bias originally. 

Thick as a brick me. Left school at 16 and did it the hard way.....lol.

I'm similar, stuck out school until 18. 

Found my way into an apprenticeship when I was 19 with an oil company, who then stuck me back in college/uni, that I'd tried to avoid. Got to do a lot of machining and welding though, which was fun, and with my job on the line I suddenly found I could do maths :lol:

• Like 5

Well Putin may be mad but have to wonder what is going through the heads

of some of his soldiers. 

Tank has run over and killed 3 in a car, journalist has been shot and killed, the indiscriminate bombing continues. 

Some of the missile strikes are getting very close to polish border. 

The pope is continuing to condemn 

the invasion. 

4 hours ago, Bender said:

Well Putin may be mad but have to wonder what is going through the heads

of some of his soldiers. 

Tank has run over and killed 3 in a car, journalist has been shot and killed, the indiscriminate bombing continues. 

Some of the missile strikes are getting very close to polish border. 

The pope is continuing to condemn 

the invasion. 

Standard Russian tactics. If opponents resist resort to terror. What they did in Syria too. Quite how they manage to square it with liberating the poor Ukrainians from the wicked west I'm not sure. The mental gymnastics must be quite challenging. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Standard Russian tactics. If opponents resist resort to terror. What they did in Syria too. Quite how they manage to square it with liberating the poor Ukrainians from the wicked west I'm not sure. The mental gymnastics must be quite challenging. 

Go along with it or be sent to labour camp or shot. 

Heard some ex-nato general type saying the Iskander missile launchers in Kaliningrad are reckoned to be targeted at 300 European cities. I reckon long term survival of those may be possible, but if they start throwing the ICBMs around I want to be on top of a hill with a bottle of malt and watch the last show before I’m vapourised. F’ing politicians, really bad idea letting them be in charge.

• Like 1

We are looking at offering our spare room for a family. My concerns are that we live miles from anywhere with no public transport and no mobile reception. I work six days a week mainly from home but usually long hours including most evenings. My wife works in Chester so is out all day. 

Anyone in a strange place is going to be pretty cut off and isolated living here. 

On the other hand it's pretty quiet and peaceful with plenty of rural walking.

I'm just not sure how much support we can fit someone due to our work commitments. Or they may be happy being left to their own devices?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

We are looking at offering our spare room for a family. My concerns are that we live miles from anywhere with no public transport and no mobile reception. I work six days a week mainly from home but usually long hours including most evenings. My wife works in Chester so is out all day. 

Anyone in a strange place is going to be pretty cut off and isolated living here. 

On the other hand it's pretty quiet and peaceful with plenty of rural walking.

I'm just not sure how much support we can fit someone due to our work commitments. Or they may be happy being left to their own devices?

I think that's wonderful mate. I wouldn't about the conditions, it's going to be far, far better than what they have experienced in Ukraine.

Just found out my sole remaining Russian's oldest son (21) got drafted into their navy last year and is currently in the Black Sea. Although I violently disagree with what his country is doing I feel for him as all the poor sods on both sides are some mother's son and put where they are by the insane actions of one unmitigated evil bast*rd.

• Like 2