Chain Tool - Breaking and Riveting

Fish

So I understand that most cut the chain off and just fit and rivet a new one on, so an angle grinder is the easy part, but which rivet tool are the go to one's to buy? 

I've just been paid and need to make sure that I've got a new tool for the box. ;)

28 minutes ago, Yorky said:

A lump hammer and a ball peen.

But no one else will agree 🙂

Actually 

I agree :D 

except if its a soft link and a chain tool is far easier 

• Like 1

Cheap chain tools are shite .. bend and break or leave you with a nagging doubt that your chains about to go boooom .. don’t ask me how I know 😬

I know it is eye wateringly expensive but the best is without doubt the "Whale " tool.

Used by pro garages but they get enough use to justify it whereas us mere mortals probably don`t.

I did hire one from a bike shop once and loved it.

Cheers

Ian

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fish said:

So I understand that most cut the chain off and just fit and rivet a new one on, so an angle grinder is the easy part, but which rivet tool are the go to one's to buy? 

I've just been paid and need to make sure that I've got a new tool for the box. ;)

no substitute for the old split link

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, skyrider said:

no substitute for the old split link

I had a split link go missing on a chain once! I will never use one on a bike again 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yorky said:

A lump hammer and a ball peen.

But no one else will agree 🙂

Been there, done that. 👍

19 hours ago, Fish said:

When I changed my chain I used Bolt croppers, easier than grinder and no sparks, although I already had some so it was no brainier. When I broke the riveter trying to split the chain.

I bought a Ryde Chain riveter to do the job as said I broke the pin to split the chain.  However it seemed to rivet it up ok, my mechanic checked it and felt if anything I might of over done it a smigin…

At £10 it’s cheap but did the job…