Car giving way to pedestrians

Bender

It is odd. I’ve watched the video a few times. The driver is clearly at fault. He doesn’t appear to have noticed the motorcycle. But he could easily pass behind the pedestrians. 

What winds me up is how the headline reads! 

CRASH SHOCK 

Shocking moment motorbike crashes into car as driver gives way to women walking across road

How about car pulls across front of motorcyclist because he never looked! 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

What winds me up is how the headline reads! 

How about car pulls across front of motorcyclist because he never looked! 

Wouldn't expect anything less from that 💩 tabloid

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bender said:

Snapshot of how bad some (most) drivers are becoming. 

The driving standards out there now is just shocking! 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, bud said:

Car driver didn't see bike till last minute. Then instead of carrying on across the road panicked and braked.

I suspect you've hit the nail on the head. The driver wasn't giving way to the pedestrians, he'd have clearly passed behind them. He stopped because he spotted the bike and did the daft thing of freezing. Given his road position and the time elapsed before the bike hit the car the biker could have easily taken avoiding action. But a lot of newish riders don't look far enough ahead and anticipate problems. The bike was carryng L plates. Poor hazard perception all round.

• Like 3

I think it was fairly obvious he saw rider and stopped, don't think he froze though it was just Ohh bike stop, had he continued at that speed it's likely rider would have been into side of car and probably worse off. 

5 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I'd say both parties were guilty of driving without due care and attention. A totally unnecessary accident.

There is a driving instructor called Ashley Neal who has a YouTube channel. He's worth looking at. A point he makes time and time again is how many incidents happen because people assume their priority and won't take avoiding action sooner. 

He aims his videos at new drivers but to be honest I've learnt a lot watching him. 

He has a very laid back commentary but he's often very funny. Plus it's nearly all filmed round Liverpool so I know most of the roads in his videos. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I'd say both parties were guilty of driving without due care and attention. A totally unnecessary accident.

Yup bike should have been more prepared, also no idea how quick bike was going before it came into camera view. 

Too many happy to condemn the biker here. We can't anticipate everything. 100% the driver's fault unless there is clear evidence of speeding.

Nothing to do with the new laws either. He just pulled across traffic when he shouldn't have, and is lucky he didn't kill someone as a result.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Breezin said:

Too many happy to condemn the biker here. We can't anticipate everything. 100% the driver's fault unless there is clear evidence of speeding.

Nothing to do with the new laws either. He just pulled across traffic when he shouldn't have, and is lucky he didn't kill someone as a result.

No one is condemning biker but if your closing in on any car that's turning you have to think what he might do, pedestrians on right would just raise situational awarnes, having been in similar situation a month ago had I not eased off I would have been over the bonnet of the car. 

As a very vulnerable road user you have to try to anticipate everything, switch off and be in the wrong place at the wrong time is a dangerous way to ride. 

You can't account for every idiot but you can try. 

There's a redtop rag insinuating that somehow it's the biker's fault here. It just isn't.

Of course you have to look out for idiots,  but that will reduce, not eliminate the danger, and it's not necessarily your fault if there's an accident. Nothing in this video tells us that the rider wasn't paying attention.

I took my bike on a 20 mile urban ride yesterday to bed in brakes (posted separately on that). I had to use them in anger 4 times when drivers or pedestrians did stupid things.

26 minutes ago, Breezin said:

There's a redtop rag insinuating that somehow it's the biker's fault here. It just isn't.

Of course you have to look out for idiots,  but that will reduce, not eliminate the danger, and it's not necessarily your fault if there's an accident. Nothing in this video tells us that the rider wasn't paying attention.

I took my bike on a 20 mile urban ride yesterday to bed in brakes (posted separately on that). I had to use them in anger 4 times when drivers or pedestrians did stupid things.

If you had to use your brakes 4 times in anger in 20 miles you might want to rethink how you are anticipating potential hazards. Sounds harsh, but it's a skill worth honing. I ride a lot and can't remember the last time I had to use my brakes for the unexpected. Given how long the car was clearly presenting a potential threat before the biker appeared - and given the speed he appeared at so close to the hazard - the biker has to take some responsibility for the collision. 

It may be someone else's initial mistake but it usually takes two to make a collision happen. Have a look at the Dan Dan the Fireman channel. He's always banging on about hazard perception. I learnt a lot from watching him, even though most of the time he's like a stuck record. But he makes the point that the majority of motorcycle accidents can be avoided.

• Like 2

All in the timing this video just popped up on YouTube well worth watching there's some good explanation in here and gives an insight into why we don't always see what's there. To top it off it starts at the bike shed on London I went there for a coffee and mooch on Sunday whilst in London. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

All in the timing this video just popped up on YouTube well worth watching there's some good explanation in here and gives an insight into why we don't always see what's there. To top it off it starts at the bike shed on London I went there for a coffee and mooch on Sunday whilst in London. 

Will watch it later, lots of reasons why folk don't see things from pigeon syndrome to peripheral vision and matching closing speeds to just not looking long enough, sometimes though it's just plain f**king lack of attention. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

I watched that the other day, it's well presented and worth watching.

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

If you had to use your brakes 4 times in anger in 20 miles you might want to rethink how you are anticipating potential hazards. Sounds harsh, but it's a skill worth honing. I ride a lot and can't remember the last time I had to use my brakes for the unexpected. Given how long the car was clearly presenting a potential threat before the biker appeared - and given the speed he appeared at so close to the hazard - the biker has to take some responsibility for the collision. 

It may be someone else's initial mistake but it usually takes two to make a collision happen. Have a look at the Dan Dan the Fireman channel. He's always banging on about hazard perception. I learnt a lot from watching him, even though most of the time he's like a stuck record. But he makes the point that the majority of motorcycle accidents can be avoided.

Are you seriously saying that you can ride 20 miles or so through busy town streets and suburban roads without once using your brakes in response to the actions of a third party?

Along with having a crystal ball, you must give us the Amazon link for that magic carpet you're on!

16 minutes ago, Breezin said:

Are you seriously saying that you can ride 20 miles or so through busy town streets and suburban roads without once using your brakes in response to the actions of a third party?

Along with having a crystal ball, you must give us the Amazon link for that magic carpet you're on!

I am saying that in city centre traffic and fast rural roads I have traveled many hundreds of miles without needing to use my brakes in anger. It is about reading the road ahead, anticipating problems before they happen, positioning the bike to avoid trouble, being in the right gear and keeping things smooth. It is also about planning options so that having alternatives becomes second nature. 

It is not a crystal ball, it is experience plus practice plus the right mental attitude to road use. 

On group rides I nearly always take the lead and one of my mates commented that he very rarely sees my brake light come on other than light trail braking on the twisty bits.

Practice riding without needing to use your brakes. It will transform your perception skills.

• Like 2