Gear shifter hitting engine case

Scrumpy

Hi all, longtime listener, first time caller and I have a bit of a problem.

So I have a Yamaha YBR125 Custom and its been simply great since passing my CBT a month or so ago, cant wait for funds to allow me to go to DAS.

My biggest problem has been the gear shifter. I have size 11 feet (not inhumanely sized imo) but the size is compounded by my riding boots and I was struggling to get the boot under the lever and shift up without some awkward movements.

So I thought I would simply move the lever up one notch on the shaft and life would be good. And it was. Until today, where I noticed I've been wearing away a nice patch on the engine casing, which I would rather stop immediately!

IMG_3459.thumb.JPG.2d4c011e4008a20440e6bbdcecc1254a.JPG

My thoughts were is there a selector arm which is offset more than the standard one I have-although perhaps they don't exist?

Or is there some kind of extender that I could fix to the existing shaft which would make the whole arm project by 10/20mm? and therefore make it miss the housing?

IMG_3460.thumb.JPG.d0462fe5d81e7d86d91573e09c1fe36c.JPG

I have been trying to find either, but its surprisingly difficult so thought I would turn to more knowledgable people than myself.

I am really keep and eager to hear what solutions you lot will have (fingers crossed for a simple & cheap solution)

Thanks!!

Thanks guys.

The boots I have really aren't that thick/tall though, so I am surprised this isn't a more common issue, or maybe it's specific to small 125's, or just YBRs?

Is there really nothing I can do with the lever, as changing the foot pegs seems a massive job by comparisson.

Deffo agree with @MikeHorton on this one get the secondhand lever and keep the original for the next owner.

My boots worn for touring are very different from the boots I use to commute or do short hops and I don`t want to damage my gear change lever by multiple adjusting so I got spares for the bikes likely to be used for long trips.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

These things aren't expensive so I suggest you buy another one first in case you knacker it up . Then I'd stick the lever in a vise and bend and bash it into the shape you want it . Simple ..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133765222186?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DXpb8RH5Rz2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=9xhDzDPcSSK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 2

Hi Guys,

Once again, I really appreciate the input and advice.

I did think of heating it up, but I haven't got to that level of manhood where I have a torch that could get it to bending heat!

I ended up finding this one

1383180177_41r7fDIr4L._AC_SL1001_.thumb.jpg.841fc3a4c2a43dbbcf174c2156acdf4c.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CXTH2SM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which as you can see is miles longer than I expected, but it has a much longer sleeve where it fixes to the shaft so therefore offsets it from the engine case by a good healthy amount. And for £18 its not so terrible.

IMG_3469.thumb.JPG.96a4e05bbd1b44758ef7fae9103270bd.JPG

So although it has required my heel to be on the peg when shifting and an afternoon riding about to get used to it (any excuse to get out!), it has solved my problem, with the bonus of keeping the original for when I sell on.

Appreciate everyones input, I'm sure I'll see some of you round for more issues that crop up!

Peace,

Scrumpy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scrumpy said:

Hi Guys,

Once again, I really appreciate the input and advice.

I did think of heating it up, but I haven't got to that level of manhood where I have a torch that could get it to bending heat!

I ended up finding this one

1383180177_41r7fDIr4L._AC_SL1001_.thumb.jpg.841fc3a4c2a43dbbcf174c2156acdf4c.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CXTH2SM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which as you can see is miles longer than I expected, but it has a much longer sleeve where it fixes to the shaft so therefore offsets it from the engine case by a good healthy amount. And for £18 its not so terrible.

IMG_3469.thumb.JPG.96a4e05bbd1b44758ef7fae9103270bd.JPG

So although it has required my heel to be on the peg when shifting and an afternoon riding about to get used to it (any excuse to get out!), it has solved my problem, with the bonus of keeping the original for when I sell on.

Appreciate everyones input, I'm sure I'll see some of you round for more issues that crop up!

Peace,

Scrumpy

So now you need to put a gentle S bend in it . 

22 hours ago, Yorky said:

'Kin 'ell, have you got boots on your feet or a dustbin??

😂 I must just be built in weird proportions!

21 hours ago, fastbob said:

So now you need to put a gentle S bend in it . 

I think I'll just see how I get on with this as it is.

If/when I get bored of it, I'll probably just l get another shorter one and see if i can bend it to perfection...

3 hours ago, Scrumpy said:

😂 I must just be built in weird proportions!

I think I'll just see how I get on with this as it is.

If/when I get bored of it, I'll probably just l get another shorter one and see if i can bend it to perfection...

But if you bend the long one you will effectively shorten it . 

On 08/07/2022 at 19:11, fastbob said:

But if you bend the long one you will effectively shorten it . 

Yea, technically…but not shorter by a practical amount I don’t think…