Second attempt .

fastbob

Well , I'm going to give Scotland a second go this year after the washout that was my last holiday in June . The days are shorter so I think I'll try to make progress by taking the M6 Toll and then just sit out the M6 until Carlisle . If the B7076 / B7078 is infested with cyclists again I'll do the M74 / M8 and try to get camped out of reach of any pissed up Weegies . Once I get in country I'll just do a massive loop taking in all the scenic bits on the west coast , free camping where possible . As in previous years , the experience will not necessarily be about Scotland but about the bike and the roads . About eight years ago I was on a cycling tour of the same area and staying at Ardmair Campsite . I still had my GSXR 1100 back then but I was getting a bit jaded about it . A guy from Germany rolled into the reception area on a big Harley and left it running a while . It was at that moment , as I watched the engine jumping around in the frame and listened to the irregular thumping of the pipes that I said to myself , I want to be there one day . Eight years later  and two tours on an ER5 followed by three tours on a Sportster and my vision of the future is set to become the present . Now , panniers or Roll Bag ? I still can't decide but I'm thinking in terms of back support . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 6

Enjoy the trip,  I did Scotland this year, didn’t do the NC500,  I basically made up my own route and enjoyed the ride.  Trip away to Cumbria for me, after MGP, possibly the last holiday trip away this year.  Run down to Hayes in November but that’s the pre Christmas visit to see family.

I'm with @manxie49 on the NC500

Most of it is ruined by the amount of idiots going on it and councils haven't repaired/maintained the tarmac so expect lots of potholes.

The most important item you will need will be the smidge for the wee pesties.

If you go up to Durness maybe you want to have a wee break at the Smoo cave between Durness and Sangobeg.

If your thing you can also have a go at Golden Eagle Zip Line in Durness

Golden Eagle Zipline (durnesszipline.com)

56 minutes ago, husoi said:

I'm with @manxie49 on the NC500

Most of it is ruined by the amount of idiots going on it and councils haven't repaired/maintained the tarmac so expect lots of potholes.

The most important item you will need will be the smidge for the wee pesties.

If you go up to Durness maybe you want to have a wee break at the Smoo cave between Durness and Sangobeg.

If your thing you can also have a go at Golden Eagle Zip Line in Durness

Golden Eagle Zipline (durnesszipline.com)

I could also visit the site where John and Yoko crashed their car .

PNn!jjnjnnnnnio 

Ur

So far so good . Set of from Cov at about one o'clock . Joined the M6 at Stone and just slotted into the heavy traffic until I was past Lancaster . As soon as the traffic thinned out I gassed it up through the Lake District section whereupon I was hit by a torrential shower before I could get my wet gear on . The rain and wind were so severe that some idiots were just stopping in the motorway because they just didn't know what to do . Got off the M6 onto the A6 , sorted my kit out a bit and rode through Shap , Penrith and Carlisle town centres , rejoined the M6 and pressed on into Scotland . Stayed on the M74 all the way to Crawford where I am now camped on the other side of the Clyde under a sky full of stars from horizon to horizon . Having done the exact same journey on the Sportster last month has allowed me to make a comparison between the two bikes . The Sportster was able but not willing and the Super Glide is more than able and just needs permission to perform . 

• Like 7

A lazy day . Just ridden the "Road to the Isles "  and I'm now at Arising . The bike is enjoying itself on this beautiful road  just swooping along in fourth  without brakes , clutch or gears ..

IMG_20220822_164608750_HDR.jpg

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 4

On Tuesday I rode from Arisaig to Dunbar near to North Berwick via Perth . I made my mind up to travel some routes that I've never done before just to see what I could see . And I'm glad I did , amazing road with great surfaces all the way to the  A9 which is a bit boring because all the villages are  bypassed . I decided to press on so that the trip home would be shorter and that  took me over the new Forth Bridge or Queensferry Crossing as this colossal miracle of engineering is known . After that I just hit the Edinburgh bypass until I found the A1 and then I spotted a Caravan and Camping Club site . After all the usual tutt tutting and thinly disguised disapproval I got to spend a very pleasant night under a canopy of stars and broken clouds . At sunrise I was greeted by the rare sight of a pink rainbow , which was odd . After a full English breakfast at the Lindisfarne cafe , I hit the A1 , M1 , M69 , A45 and home . The only glitch was torrential rain in Staffordshire where my visibility went to nearly nothing except the distance between the two tail lights in front of me . There was nothing to do  but call upon the Force and I was answered . Fear serves no purpose in a predicament like this .  So , a great few days in Scotland with some really blissful riding on what is proving to be a very capable bike . Now the cleaning begins . 

IMG_20220823_180510670.jpg

IMG_20220824_105843798.jpg

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 5

On 22/08/2022 at 17:07, fastbob said:

A lazy day . Just ridden the "Road to the Isles "  and I'm now at Arising . The bike is enjoying itself on this beautiful road  just swooping along in fourth  without brakes , clutch or gears ..

IMG_20220822_164608750_HDR.jpg

On the downside , the bast*rds are in the process of putting a Fibre Broadband cable into a trench that will run for the majority of the westbound carriageway . That's right on the motorcycling line and it's as bumpy as f**k !