1st bike suggestions please

Jemz

Morning from London UK!

I passed my CBT last month on an auto but I want to ride manual. So I'm looking for suggestions on a first geared bike. I was set on going for a Honda cbf as I've read lots of people saying its great for a first bike but then I was thinking about my reasons for having one.

So I will be using it initially just for practice. I fully intend to go for a full licence within a year (hopefully!) And if I get it I will be upgrading my bike. So I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a first bike il only keep for approx a year.

I'm very happy to buy used as long as its in decent condition and without any issues. I'm not looking to spend more than £2000-2500 if possible.

I'm quite short at 5"2 so I need something suitable. Once I have the confidence to be on the road with a manual, I will likely use it a 2-3 times a week to get to work. My journeys vary from 20mins - 1hr as I travel around different areas visiting schools. 

So, any suggestions on a used bike which is good for a first time rider would be much appreciated??

Thank you in advance! 🙂

Edited by Jemz

53 minutes ago, Jemz said:

Morning from London UK!

I passed my CBT last month on an auto but I want to ride manual. So I'm looking for suggestions on a first geared bike. I was set on going for a Honda cbf as I've read lots of people saying its great for a first bike but then I was thinking about my reasons for having one.

So I will be using it initially just for practice. I fully intend to go for a full licence within a year (hopefully!) And if I get it I will be upgrading my bike. So I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a first bike il only keep for approx a year.

I'm very happy to buy used as long as its in decent condition and without any issues. I'm not looking to spend more than £2000-2500 if possible.

I'm quite short at 5"2 so I need something suitable. Once I have the confidence to be on the road with a manual, I will likely use it a 2-3 times a week to get to work. My journeys vary from 20mins - 1hr as I travel around different areas visiting schools. 

So, any suggestions on a used bike which is good for a first time rider would be much appreciated??

Thank you in advance! 🙂

Sounds like a good choice good luck you should get one in that price range. Maybe even a 2021 so you get the newer engine that's even better on the fuel 

I have a cbf  and was doing ok on it - I realised you could take the clutch in - and have not stalled it since (when I first got it, the biting point was 'far out' and my hands were struggling to control it - so that is something to consider (easy enough to adjust) .  It is a light bike - and easy to maneuver - 

• Like 1

What style of bike do you eventually want to get when you have your full licence?

Mate had a CBF as first bike did a ton of miles on it and very reliable. Hold its money well too.

9 minutes ago, bud said:

What style of bike do you eventually want to get when you have your full licence?

Mate had a CBF as first bike did a ton of miles on it and very reliable. Hold its money well too.

If I'm honest I haven't thought that far ahead! Lol 

• Like 1

One thing to think about is if using it to visit different locations for work, you'll be required to have business insurance. Not the sort that means you'll be just eat or deliveroo, but for visiting different locations for work. Commuting type insurance would only cover to one place of work, not multiple.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fish said:

One thing to think about is if using it to visit different locations for work, you'll be required to have business insurance. Not the sort that means you'll be just eat or deliveroo, but for visiting different locations for work. Commuting type insurance would only cover to one place of work, not multiple.

I think it depends whether or not I want to claim milage back. My car is used for travel at the moment and I claim the milage back on that. I probably wouldn't bother for a bike. And most of the time I'm visiting from home to one school a day, so it would be like travelling to my office every day. 

Edited by Jemz

Insurance do not see it that way. If you are working in different locations, you'll require business. If you just travel to one place of work, you'll require commuting insurance.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fish said:

Insurance do not see it that way. If you are working in different locations, you'll require business. If you just travel to one place of work, you'll require commuting insurance.

Ah OK I didn't realise that. When I look for insurance il speak to them and check. Glad you told me that. Thank you :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jemz said:

Ah OK I didn't realise that. When I look for insurance il speak to them and check. Glad you told me that. Thank you :)

Taken from Carol Nash guide. 

Multiple places of work is business, same goes for car insurance. 

• Social & domestic: When you use your motorbike for social use only, such as riding with friends or going to the shops, and not for any commuting or work-related purposes.
  • Commuting: As well as using your bike for social and domestic reasons, you may also use it to regularly travel to one permanent place of work.
  • Business use: This is for when you travel to more than one place of work, such as a training course, bank, or other work-related destination. You must tell your insurer even if it’s just a one-off journey, otherwise you’re at risk of invalidating your policy. Should your work situation change and you need to use your bike to travel more, let your insurer know straight away.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bender said:

Taken from Carol Nash guide. 

Multiple places of work is business, same goes for car insurance. 

• Social & domestic: When you use your motorbike for social use only, such as riding with friends or going to the shops, and not for any commuting or work-related purposes.
  • Commuting: As well as using your bike for social and domestic reasons, you may also use it to regularly travel to one permanent place of work.
  • Business use: This is for when you travel to more than one place of work, such as a training course, bank, or other work-related destination. You must tell your insurer even if it’s just a one-off journey, otherwise you’re at risk of invalidating your policy. Should your work situation change and you need to use your bike to travel more, let your insurer know straight away.

Hmm if that's the case I might stick with my car and save riding for weekends or days off

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jemz said:

Hmm if that's the case I might stick with my car and save riding for weekends or days off

Do a few quotes depends but sometimes makes little difference. I work at different locations and have to use business insurance make little difference compared to commuting 

19 minutes ago, Jemz said:

I have to have business use and it costs me bugger all more in insurance. Might be different on CBT but insurance is random so worth checking.

My advise get yourself an account with a market comparison site, and play the job and numbers game.  Sometimes increasing mileage makes no difference.

As for bikes Suzuki CB125F or CBF125 Yamaha YBR  Honda CB all should be within budget.

I would choose a tall bike if traffic regularly you can see and be seen easier then.

Avoid the race bikes and bikes that are attractive to teens, they carry a premium and are often thrashed. The extra 1 hp seems to matter to 17-19 year olds who thrash them to the last inch to go quicker than there mate.

I also have business insurance on both bikes and it doesn't add much, if anything, by way of cost.

If you're 5' 2" consider the Suzuki VanVan. Fun little bikes if you like them. But they are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them. 

Dead simple and handle well on poor road surfaces. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, onesea said:

I have to have business use and it costs me bugger all more in insurance. Might be different on CBT but insurance is random so worth checking.

My advise get yourself an account with a market comparison site, and play the job and numbers game.  Sometimes increasing mileage makes no difference.

As for bikes Suzuki CB125F or CBF125 Yamaha YBR  Honda CB all should be within budget.

I would choose a tall bike if traffic regularly you can see and be seen easier then.

Avoid the race bikes and bikes that are attractive to teens, they carry a premium and are often thrashed. The extra 1 hp seems to matter to 17-19 year olds who thrash them to the last inch to go quicker than there mate.

I don't do race bikes at this point. They don't appeal to me at the moment. Maybe when I have my full licence and more experience it will appeal more.

I actually went to have a look at a Yamaha YBR today. I felt very comfortable sitting on it and the one I tried was actually the perfect height. So I may consider that more at the moment. But I can work with the others too.

19 hours ago, Jemz said:

I actually went to have a look at a Yamaha YBR today. I felt very comfortable sitting on it and the one I tried was actually the perfect height. So I may consider that more at the moment. But I can work with the others too.

Sensible choice was my first bike, followed by a Yamaha, a Suzuki, a Triumph, a Yamaha and now a Honda.

Yes that’s 6 bikes in 8 years, really bikers do change there bikes as often as politicians do U turns.

Edited by onesea
Edit to add the reason for commenting on number of bikes. Was don’t get to hung up on one type of bike many change them regularly. Find a bike you like at right price see what you think
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, onesea said:

Sensible choice was my first bike, followed by a Yamaha, a Suzuki, a Triumph, a Yamaha and now a Honda.

Yes that’s 6 bikes in 8 years, really bikers do change there bikes as often as politicians do U turns.

Ive had 10 bikes in 42 years. 

1980 - 1976 Kawasaki KH250 B1

1982 - 1975 Triumph T160

1988 - 1982 Triumph T140TSS

1994 - 1994 Triumph Trident 750

1995 - 1996 Triumph Speed Triple 900

1997 - 1997 BMW R1100GS (funded house purchase in 2000)

2001 - 1999 BMW R1100GS

(2012 - 2004 BMW K1200GT (Temporarily as a 2nd bike)

(2014 - 2006 BMW F800S (Temporarily as a 2nd bike)

2018 - 2018 Honda Africa Twin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Ive had 10 bikes in 42 years. 

1980 - 1976 Kawasaki KH250 B1

1982 - 1975 Triumph T160

1988 - 1982 Triumph T140TSS

1994 - 1994 Triumph Trident 750

1995 - 1996 Triumph Speed Triple 900

1997 - 1997 BMW R1100GS (funded house purchase in 2000)

2001 - 1999 BMW R1100GS

(2012 - 2004 BMW K1200GT (Temporarily as a 2nd bike)

(2014 - 2006 BMW F800S (Temporarily as a 2nd bike)

2018 - 2018 Honda Africa Twin

Didn`t we have a thread about the serial ownership we are experiencing a while back?

Maybe time to resurrect the thread lol.

Something for the smug shaft drive fraternity to suggest maybe.

Cheers 

Ian