Thoughts on a royal Enfield meteor

Elvispercy

I currently got a lexmoto 125 Detroit..... I'm looking at taking a das course and like the look of the royal Enfield meteor 350....I see that a 650 version is soon to be available.... Any thoughts on this bike or advise on which version? I see the 350 is capable of 100mpg which is quite important as it is to be used as a commuter bike.... Or should I just stick with my 125 in that case...

This is good advice.

You can't really know what a particular bike is like until you've ridden it. A bike is a really individual thing; one person will think a particular bike is amazing, but it will leave another person cold. And although you're 100% right in saying that 100mpg is important for a commuter bike, when you happen on the bike of your dreams, you might find a way to adjust how you see the situation. 😁

• Thanks 1

What does your commute look like? Urban or cross country?

Mine is 28miles each way,  mostly 50/60 mph A roads and i think a 20hp 350cc would be a bit out of its comfort zone whereas the 650 would be fine.

You mention the 350 doing 100mpg, how important are the running costs?

The 650 is in the highest VED bracket and will probably have higher servicing costs.

Ok for me commuting on bike I agree, Fuel consumption is important, so it's tax and maintenance.

However I also like a tall bike to see over cars and be seen among cars.

As someone said it depends on your commute, road type and hills.

Also type of bike I started on FZ6 it did 45mpg no matter how I rid it. Which was quicker then my TDM900 which does 70 odd mpg on a run.

My basic observation less cylinders tend to make more efficiency.

Fuelly is a good site for real data:

https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/royal-enfield/meteor-350/2021/aniket92/1075090

Just Google bike your and add fuelly at the end.

4 hours ago, onesea said:

Ok for me commuting on bike I agree, Fuel consumption is important, so it's tax and maintenance.

However I also like a tall bike to see over cars and be seen among cars.

As someone said it depends on your commute, road type and hills.

Also type of bike I started on FZ6 it did 45mpg no matter how I rid it. Which was quicker then my TDM900 which does 70 odd mpg on a run.

My basic observation less cylinders tend to make more efficiency.

Fuelly is a good site for real data:

https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/royal-enfield/meteor-350/2021/aniket92/1075090

Just Google bike your and add fuelly at the end.

If you like the enfield and want something taller then the himalayan maybe better the Meteor is a lot lower. A 450 liquid cooled one is on the anvil that will be more powerful and better on the fuel than the 400. Maybe consider the 300 versys or 250 vstrom all of the above will cope with that commute no issues. I did 2 up West Mids to Brighton on the himalayan a few years back

I have a new Classic 350 and love it. I think the Meteor has the same engine and frame, if you are not in a rush to buy and the weight is not an issue I would wait for the 650. As an old timer I bought mine with the weight in mind, being honest I do miss the power of my Fazer 600. So many riders tell me not to sell the Fazer as I will regret it. John.

• Like 1

I know this brand is now hugely popular, but I do wonder… how many owners use them to commute to work. And more particularly, how many people use them to commute on when they don’t have a second option. Like another bike. Or a car. Or even a bus or train.

These bikes seem to be marketed mostly at Sunday riders… with a few exceptions. Obviously. But as a commuter? Year round?

I’m not so sure.

• Like 1