Took a spill in the snow this morning

Fiddlesticks

Weather was wet but OK all the way to work, but the second I got off the M6 it was packed snow. Minor road, I felt the bike going underneath me. Fell into the road, lady in a land rover behind skidded across the road to avoid me.

Of course there's no grip to get the bike back up again, but a couple of lads stopped to help me up.

Cracked indicator and side panel but the engine crash bars took the brunt.

Got to work and dropped it in the car park again.

Not a great start to the day. Fortunately no injuries to speak of. I might take the train home if conditions don't improve.

• Sad 10

Glad you're ok.  Roads are the same here this morning, made even worse by shit drivers driving down the middle of the road, over the white lines, forcing you into the parts of the road where the snow has compacted .

• Like 1

@Fiddlestickshope ur alright can feel a little battered and bruised later. As @manxie49 says bad weather compounded by bad road users doesn't help this time of year. Normally I ride all year round ish but sometimes things are out if your control however good your riding leave it at home and gone for some better weather 

• Like 1

Glad you and the bike are ok.

I bailed out from Tuesday morning, no snow here but very icy.

On the commute near Banbury on the A361 there is one bend that has a lot of water running off a bank, it flows down the kerb and at the next bend crosses the road. Riding home on Monday evening thought if the forecast is true and minus 6 expected this will be lethal. Sure enough Tuesday morning, a Focus ST was being hauled onto a recovery truck with his nsf wheel smashed up into the wheel well.

• Like 1

Cheers all.

Total damage only £25 plus a bit of hammerite. Took it overly steady on the way back home. Once bitten and all that.

Irony is Mrs. Fiddlesticks didn't need the car today. I just didn't think to check the weather at the other end.

Every day's a school day.

• Like 4

I fell on ice on Hogmanay, no damage to the bike coz my leg and engine bars kept it off the tarmac until I tried lifting the bike...both tyres slid away and the bike landed on the rear indicator ,whilst I shuffled like Bambi.

Worst of it is ,I was on my way to deliver the 2019 Renegade 125 Sport to it's buyer.

I told him all and knocked £50 off ,which he was happy with. 

So if you're gonna crash ,get your body between the bike and the road!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Cheers all.

Total damage only £25 plus a bit of hammerite. Took it overly steady on the way back home. Once bitten and all that.

Irony is Mrs. Fiddlesticks didn't need the car today. I just didn't think to check the weather at the other end.

Every day's a school day.

Glad you and the bike are alright. Maybe leave the bike at home on snow days 🙂

• Like 1

And what arrived in the post this morning... (Thanks WeMoto 👍)

Just off to book myself on the approved Triumph Technician training course so that I can fit it.... 😂

IMG_20230120_112445.thumb.jpg.1808b564983457038a77ad1ae63863d3.jpg

• Like 2

Must be catching this falling off lark.

Clutch cable snapped yesterday afternoon as I was pulling into drive, given I was coming up a steepish slope off sand onto marble tiled driveway and just as pulled clutch lever in "twang" snapped cable at same time applying brakes and yep front end went under and down I went. No major damage to bike except cage around driving light mounted to engine bar.

Main damage was to 1 garden chair and matching table which I went through smashing chair into pieces and leg off table. I've ended up with arm in sling due to shoulder charging chair, table and then solid floor, them marble tiles don't take prisoners.

Plus side I got missus making cuppas as I can't lift kettle. Just ordered new clutch cable from spares dealer in Germany which should be here by next weekend, cost including shipping £32 so not too bad, could have been worse I suppose

• Sad 5

6 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Lot to be said for hydraulic clutches. Wish I had one!

So do I now. Had a hydraulic clutch on ST1100 which was sold prior to moving here, would have been very useful yesterday. At least no major damage to bike, unlike the garden chair and table which are now in pieces. Just proves that when 16st wearing an armoured bike jacket hits pre-formed plastic furniture there will only be 1 winner. Unlike when same 16st lands on marble drive after destroying said chair and table only one winner then and it wasn't me.

• Like 1