Yorks and Lincs ride out .... and demographic issues..

Trooper74

Dry day here in South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire so a morning ride out the the Willingham Cafe to the east of Market Rasen seemed a good idea. 9 deg c, dry, so jeans today instead of the armoured, padded bike trousers.
It was early when i arrived at the cafe, 20 - 30 bikes there and a chat with a few guys ensued ...
Then you realise all the riders are white males over 60 !!
Now white male is fine, 45% of the UK population are white male .... but over 60 !!
Where are all the young motorcyclists ????

729F0495-BCF8-431F-99A7-0E1990532443.thumb.jpeg.3935df722896a35833ae3f3d22f8508d.jpeg

When I left the cafe i headed to the now defunct RAF Binbrook. The last home of the Lightning Fighter and where all our Tornados where destroyed by scrap merchants. I served for 25 years in the Royal Air Force,( Nimrod, Phantom FGR2 / F4J, Tornado GR4 .. Flightline Airframes Engineer ) when it was a force with hundreds of fighters and thousands of pilots and engineers ..... Now, 60 war ready Typhoons and 6 F-35's .... Putin must be trembling in the Kremlin .... trembling with laughter ...!

4F74613B-4DE7-4E11-9D8C-F4A42D72861A.thumb.jpeg.28591f0153d057adfb54ea48cbd1ec09.jpeg

Always sad to revisit a base that you remember as full of life and noise to find it boarded up and empty ...

97F970EF-9623-4B3B-B64B-B30A16B2281D.png

I've been asking this too. Not sure they exist any more. All the bikers I see out are ancient like me, or even ancienter.
When I talk to my friends in their 30s or my kids (also in their 30s) about bikes, they just shudder and mutter about how dangerous they are.  

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Dry day here in South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire so a morning ride out the the Willingham Cafe to the east of Market Rasen seemed a good idea. 9 deg c, dry, so jeans today instead of the armoured, padded bike trousers.
It was early when i arrived at the cafe, 20 - 30 bikes there and a chat with a few guys ensued ...
Then you realise all the riders are white males over 60 !!
Now white male is fine, 45% of the UK population are white male .... but over 60 !!

729F0495-BCF8-431F-99A7-0E1990532443.thumb.jpeg.3935df722896a35833ae3f3d22f8508d.jpeg

When I left the cafe i headed to the now defunct RAF Binbrook. The last home of the Lightning Fighter and where all our Tornados where destroyed by scrap merchants. I served for 25 years in the Royal Air Force,( Nimrod, Phantom FGR2 / F4J, Tornado GR4 .. Flightline Airframes Engineer ) when it was a force with hundreds of fighters and thousands of pilots and engineers ..... Now, 60 war ready Typhoons and 6 F-35's .... Putin must be trembling in the Kremlin .... trembling with laughter ...!

4F74613B-4DE7-4E11-9D8C-F4A42D72861A.thumb.jpeg.28591f0153d057adfb54ea48cbd1ec09.jpeg

Always sad to revisit a base that you remember as full of life and noise to find it boarded up and empty ...

97F970EF-9623-4B3B-B64B-B30A16B2281D.png

yes when you turn up at a bike meet these days when they take their helmet off they all have grey hair not too many young pilots out there

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

well the price of insurance tends to cost both wings ... 

But still a fraction of motor car insurance for an 18 year old on a 250 trail bike. 

Edited by Trooper74

Why pay £1k’s for a bike & more for training, insurance, tax, kit etc when for £300 you can get an electric scooter with no extra costs except for a black hoody & a scarf to cover your face & you can charge it at your parents & at work !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mickly said:

Why pay £1k’s for a bike & more for training, insurance, tax, kit etc when for £300 you can get an electric scooter with no extra costs except for a black hoody & a scarf to cover your face & you can charge it at your parents & at work !!

Because you can't do 100mph into a sweeping left hander with the sun at your back on the way to the cafe / coast / girlfriend / mistress .... et al.

• Like 1