50cc

onesea

My daughter turns 16 later this year, she wants to ride a bike.

First she has to get around mother, I believe this is in her capabilities.

I would need to find her a bike.  I know some will say wait till she can do a 125cc. However locally it will give her freedom, many roads here are max 40mph.  She will not be going far 5-10 miles after that a small bike would be challenging.

She has traffic sense but is probably short on road condition since wet slippy etc.  My thought is better she learns that on a 50cc, before going up to a 125cc.

What would you look for?  Suggestions ideas welcomed.

Would it be better to go for a geared bike rather than a twist and go scooter?

Sooner she gets used to clutch control and shifting gears the better.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/content/top-5-50cc-bikeshttps://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/content/top-5-50cc-bikes

Aprilia 50 looks the biz

I think a twist and go scooter would be perfect. Let her learn road sense and traffic skills without the need to change gear as well. Scooter will have a more upright sitting position. And some luggage capacity. My nephew has a Sym scooter which seems to withstand his harsh treatment very well

I must admit if I was 16 then I absolutely would want the Aprilia. It definitely does look the biz. Thing is though, to the average car driver, it looks like it would do 90 but in fact it will only do 30 

I feel that you would be safer riding something that does only look like it will do 30. 

Edited by Davidtav

@Davidtav Must admit twist and go scooter sounds sensible to me it will only be for a year.  They are cheap and I would not fancy changing gear that many times to get to 30mph 😵💫

If she keeps it shines side up she will have a years no claims bonus, I already have a 125cc she can inherit.

I am guessing I will be looking for best maintained 50cc at right price and insurance.

• Like 1

My nephew just sent a link for nipce looking 50cc geared bike.

Honda MT50

Insurance £3375 a year.

Quick check on 50cc twist and go scooter

£392 a year.

No prizes for what I am thinking.

• Like 1

Go for a twist and go would be my suggestion but if she is travelling on poor roads try to get one with bigger diameter wheels to cope with potholes and slippery surfaces. With an auto she can concentrate on the riding and traffic around her. Its only for a year and when she moves up to a 125 the clutch control and gears wont take long to master and already being able to ride. Good luck to her on a whole world of fun and enjoyment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We all did back in the day lol.

Wouldn`t be surprised if nanny state has changed things since then though.

Bet unrestricted AP50`s or FS1E`s are a fair price now.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, onesea said:

Can 16 years olds ride 2 stroke 50cc bikes?

45mph not 30 and inherently more cool?

They seem to sell for same price as regular 125cc just older.

No! 

16 year olds can only ride a Moped with speed range of 25 km/h to 45 km/h which is about 28mph 

Not sure when this changed as it used to be 50kmh which is 31mph

14 hours ago, Davidtav said:

I have a feeling they might be allowed to ride a vehicle first registered before 1977. Unfortunately I think a Fizzie is worth £10k now

yes i wouldn't sell mine for less , mine is a 1976 baja brown with the speed blocks

• Like 2