Do I need a new battery?

Throttled

The past few starts of the bike, which is now 4, coming on 5 years old, have been a bit sluggish. Today, I connected the sat nav and started it and then tried to start the bike and it just clicked. A jump start with my battery pack and it fired into life instantly. Do I need a new battery?

Certainly sounds like it.  Do you have an optimate charger?  If so you can connect it and it'll tell you the state of the battery,  failing that, as Tiggie said, a multimeter?  My old MT10 did exactly the same as your bike when the battery was knackered.

Just now, manxie49 said:

Certainly sounds like it.  Do you have an optimate charger?  If so you can connect it and it'll tell you the state of the battery,  failing that, as Tiggie said, a multimeter?  My old MT10 did exactly the same as your bike when the battery was knackered.

Looks like I can get a new battery from Halfords for about £40 with my TMBF Halfords card.

• Like 1

There are some battery chargers that will recover the lead battery.

The downside is you will need to order it from China and wait a few weeks for it.

The  battery won't fully recover but you will be able to squeeze another year from it.

2 years ago I replaced the Pan's battery and the "dead" one has been working in the trailer as internal light and phone charger power supply. This is just now showing signs of absolute death :( 

The best test is to connect a multimeter (Volts) and fire up the bike. 

Voltage should sit t 12.5V more or less after you turn the engine off.

Turn the lights on and voltage would drop to 12V or thereabout. If voltage drops rapidly then you have a sulphated battery and death is imminent.

• Like 1

If you don't keep it on a charger and you only ride every now and then and the bike has alarm and immobiliser there is a strong chance that the battery has been running low over a period of time 

You need to check if you have good voltage when running and if so I would give the battery a good charge and then go from there 

• Like 1

Took my battery pack on today's run and twice I needed it to start the bike. The sat nav and then the heated grips. Turn the bike off and they stay on, and in less than a minute they flatten the battery. So got a new one.

• Like 2