Chasing the sun.

Gerontious

This weather has been so awful. summer. what summer?

sigh.

heading south on Friday and crossing to Frenchy France on Saturday where the sun always shines and every day is a holiday and made perfect for absconding weirdos. Not sure where Im going to end up. point and squirt. But one thing.. no motorways once across. Now that plan has already been scuppered by those Frenchy French closing a road at the tunnel. the swines. so onto the motorway and then immediately off again not even a hop skip and jump. probably heading for the land of dried sausage and kebabs with very expensive Champagne all around. then onto the Black Forest and through. its a plan of sorts. though not much of a one.

I need weissbier. maybe an Italian pizza made in Italy and cooked by genuine Italians. maybe. not sure.

Anyway.. if there's a goal in the short term its to spot one of these signs and follow it. Isn't it nice of these lovelies to get a nice new one ready for me. I'm so pleased.

dass3edelweiss.jpg

• Like 7

Now in St Die having a very large cold drink. The air is very warm and I’m starting to flag, might make it across the Rhine or stay at another municipal. Not sure. The intention was to get to Titisee. But I’m running out of enthusiasm. It’s hit and very muggy.

IMG_1343.thumb.png.e87d6c04ab32f0e03243443b05921e8d.png

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Spending the night in Sezanne. across to the Black Forest tomorrow. One rain storm which was over in minutes. Just very warm. Sezanne is a lovely little town 

IMG_1342.thumb.png.0ce83aaf0350108d8eb5a77fcebb535f.png

I stayed in Sezanne on my first solo tour. I thought it rather nice in a shabby chic way. Has it changed, I wonder.

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I stayed in Sezanne on my first solo tour. I thought it rather nice in a shabby chic way. Has it changed, I wonder.

no. Shabby describes it wonderfully. Stayed at the municipal for €5

• Like 2

Now in Germany close to Titisee. And about to have a meal. Beer already.

IMG_1345.thumb.png.96831e48a00e76531554f2f6c69b11d4.png

nice day tomorrow, hopefully for the ride down to join the Alpenstrasse- probably at Fussen.

IMG_1344.thumb.png.c317367e75d8149424dbace1132f9703.png

I might even stop to take some photos. Pleased to say not a single mile of motorway since crossing.

meal was nice if typically unpronounceable!!

IMG_1346.thumb.jpeg.648f72aaa2ac939b642069485c74ea36.jpeg

• Like 3

Sorry to hijack your thread. Lunch near Fumay, cracking ride across the Ardennes, pick-me-up coffee at Houffalize. Eifel tomorrow. You can guess where we are. Saray Grill for dinner. Hot and damp here too. Say hi Jack.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Don't know if you've been to Colmar but worth a visit.

I’m one of those strange people who avoids cities and large towns as much as possible, tried it in the past and found it incredibly dull. Tend to bypass or shoot through without stopping. At Sezanne we found a kebab place, ate and straight back to the campsite. I did spend a few moments admiring the medieval church and buildings - but that’s as far as it went. My trips are primarily riding holidays and not about tourism as it were. We’re all different and this is what works for me. I would rather be riding.

• Like 4

Colmar is nice though, we stopped at the Ibis Budget, a short walk to the centre, a long while ago though, then they were called Etap Hotel, budget with underground secure parking. I may just visit this year. 

Tonight not too far from Fussen and for a while following the Alpenstrasse, turned off in search of pizza. Which was found. Very warm and muggy. Thunderstorm tonight which was avoided by eating pizza and drinking beers. An actual photo too. IMG_1349.thumb.jpeg.93ac23ef14e719a4e29ec32500a53e5d.jpeg

and location tonight.

IMG_1350.thumb.png.53a4aa066454d05800c36abcdce34f27.png

• Like 6

So far I’m not hugely impressed by this route. Very heavy traffic as far as the turn south to innsbruck. But it might get better now all that lot has turned into Austria. Again it’s very warm.

IMG_1352.thumb.png.27b3444732aeaa074097df638df3ebbb.png

Now in Austria. Just south of Kufstein for the night. Deutches Alpenstrasse is not recommended. Dreary with too much traffic and slowing down to walking speed for all the villages really wore me out. Anyway here now and thinking it can only get better.IMG_1354.thumb.png.db7e2886ac188a8a3f9694c4fbd78e6f.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The problem is mostly that the entire length until you reach the turnoff for innsbruck is super busy with both local traffic and people on their way to Austria. They all head south and then it becomes much quieter. Glad about the move south as there was a massive electrical storm last night lighting up the sky to the north.  Only the very edge of it here. Slept really well thanks to ear plugs. Anyway back into Germany to complete the route and finish off with the Rossfeld panoramastrasse, to the east of Berchtesgaden. Not going anywhere near Hitlers holiday home - either, before that’s suggested. No thanks. I would rather go home than set foot in that place!! Done about 1200 miles so far, no problems aside from the heat and dodging thunderstorms!!! Anyway back to the fatherland!! Before heading south into Italy!!

• Like 3

So thats (almost) the end of the Alpenstrasse and that last part was stunning. Exactly what I was expecting. So a brief pause for a drink then through Berchtesgaden to ride the Rossfeld. Then back into Austria, hopefully as far as zell am see. Where a stop for the night is in order.IMG_1360.thumb.png.f5c3422d064e0fb14609e022bbfdaeb1.pngIMG_1358.thumb.jpeg.200505a43ea86d8640f2c13e84654e8c.jpegIMG_1359.thumb.jpeg.22e8710039ed2ef0c9e3741b86081919.jpeg

and the Rossfeld 

IMG_1361.thumb.png.2a3071af133d94ea1b153e08672f8857.png

• Like 3

The Rossfeld was fantastic €5.50 for a single entry so rode from end to end 3 times. I set a route there and when it came time to turn off, the sign said carry on. But I ignored that and followed the original route which went up the steepest incline I think I’ve ever taken on in my life. Too steep for anything but a decent car or bike. Views were marred somewhat by clouds but hey ho. The road surface was perfect.IMG_1362.thumb.jpeg.00ba89f615e92979d5344c85d691bdc9.jpegIMG_1363.thumb.jpeg.20f93f9847ed95222d78d161947405e2.jpegIMG_1366.thumb.jpeg.9cc81bffa5bc97b0a17423307be4732e.jpegIMG_1365.thumb.jpeg.c285ff985c6b416c7b4506ddb4025fca.jpegIMG_1364.thumb.jpeg.ca258ea5a0b59ad4e151358529b46717.jpeg

I even managed an empty lay-by. Two birds and that!

IMG_1367.thumb.jpeg.f0a66058391260316df9febbdf24f67c.jpeg 

and at the bottom.IMG_1368.thumb.jpeg.cd139744a635658125304dd930db6641.jpeg

coming down again. A thunderstorm from hell struck so shelter was sought until it passed by. Now just south of the lake at zell am see. In view of the Glockner which is being studiously ignored. Tomorrow thru the much cheaper tunnel to a mad campsite I’ve stayed at before and will remain there a few days. All this every day a new place gets a bit wearisome.

IMG_1369.thumb.png.73dc768c70d4c3e6aaa947cae1001860.png

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 4

Moved south, staying close to the border with Italy, mostly because everything is a lot cheaper. The Felbertauer tunne should have been €12 but I got waved through being mistaken for part of a large group of Germans and the toll man wasn’t counting!! So that was rather jolly. Will be in the Dolomites tomorrow. Day off Saturday then Sunday down to Garda and after that wandering round to the south end of the route des grand alps as a start of the  slow meander back to the tunnel.IMG_1371.thumb.jpeg.17db629f4972bfb82f0c07072ace8cb2.jpeg

IMG_1372.thumb.jpeg.a78432eda8074137dadd8b1408369ed5.jpeg

IMG_1373.thumb.png.63e6f978d4eaddfeeee439035ef547db.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

I’ve been away for a few days so have only just caught up with your tour. Looks wonderful. I may even nick a couple of ideas from you for our tour in September. 🙏

It’s been exceptionally warm. The campsite at Zell was packed and my pitch was in the children’s play area. But… almost no children. The main reason for it being so busy was a heatwave further south. But it’s actually quite comfortable here. Anyway lesson learnt come winter sales I will be looking seriously at fully vented gear. Proper waterproof top layer if needed and layers for under if the weather does get cold - unlikely as that sounds. I’ve coped…. But only because I’m good at coping.

only thing I’m not looking forward to is crossing the PO valley.. but it needs to be done as I want to see the Ligurian alps and coast and I’ve done the northern lakes route a few times already.

39 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

It’s been exceptionally warm. The campsite at Zell was packed and my pitch was in the children’s play area. But… almost no children. The main reason for it being so busy was a heatwave further south. But it’s actually quite comfortable here. Anyway lesson learnt come winter sales I will be looking seriously at fully vented gear. Proper waterproof top layer if needed and layers for under if the weather does get cold - unlikely as that sounds. I’ve coped…. But only because I’m good at coping.

only thing I’m not looking forward to is crossing the PO valley.. but it needs to be done as I want to see the Ligurian alps and coast and I’ve done the northern lakes route a few times already.

The weather is part of the reason why we tour in September. Usually still mild and generally dry. 

• Like 1