Local Police spot on… Anyone selling a car?

onesea

Well tonight my car was totalled by a drunk, uninsured driver whilst parked outside my house.  

A Nissan X-Trail pushed back 2-3 foot on to the curb and back into my partners car a new to us Nissan Colt which was shunted a further 6’ down the road with handbrake on.

Quite impressive considering it was all done using a Nissan Micra, who’s driver was more worried about her face being damaged having set the air bag off.  

Injury wise she’s going to get away with a black eye.

My partner immediately called 999 to report a suspect drunk driver.  Outside I had taken the keys of driver once and returned them when she became agitated. She gave me a false name.

Police arrived after culprit had left scene in the car, a quick assessment of damage/ scene the Police left.

Within 30 minutes they where back to say the driver was apprehended and being taken to custody, police then requested a statement.

Lets hope the courts can follow up on the good work the police have already done.

I am impressed with the response from the local police, knowing the distance they had to travel, being in a largely rural area.

Also great support from my neighbours one side who advised the name given was incorrect, and to neighbours from the other side one of whom who attempted to find the driver of the car afterwards.  I guess I am buying a case of beer for those house holds as this all happened at around midnight.

Tip if ever involved in an incident like this photos of culprit in car in drivers seat may help situation considerably.

If nothing else having the bikes I can get to work tomorrow. My partners car just needs a new number plate. But daylight might give more information.

Lets see what the insurance say tomorrow is my last day at work before our annual holiday and our big car is a write off.

Hire car please set up for annual holiday with 2 dogs and all luggage.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Oof, so we have fleeing the scene, false information is treated as failure to exchange information... She's in a bit of strife now. 

Make sure witnesses are kept close. People like her tend to double down, rather than give up on the bad behaviour. If you know her name, I might be tempted to see if she's on social media, and make sure she's not trying to thread a story like "he pulled out on me, ran back into his house and then said it was parked, and then he tried to stop me leaving". I've seen a lot of similar stories before, and I know someone who got a molestation accusation, and abuse for years due to a teen girl who went through his garden wall, pissed as a fart. And got colourful with the stories, even though the CCTV showed the entire situation. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Oof, so we have fleeing the scene, false information is treated as failure to exchange information... She's in a bit of strife now. 

Make sure witnesses are kept close. People like her tend to double down, rather than give up on the bad behaviour. If you know her name, I might be tempted to see if she's on social media, and make sure she's not trying to thread a story like "he pulled out on me, ran back into his house and then said it was parked, and then he tried to stop me leaving". I've seen a lot of similar stories before, and I know someone who got a molestation accusation, and abuse for years due to a teen girl who went through his garden wall, pissed as a fart. And got colourful with the stories, even though the CCTV showed the entire situation. 

Doubt full she could pull that, I first left house in dressing gown.  Was recently heard by neighbours to return from work on bike.

I was advised on scene by witnesses she had given incorrect details. 

We have the name and to write my partner "small crimes RUs". She is well known and last I heard it was down to CPU to see if they want to make a case.

Feel for you, had this happen to me long time ago, was helping a friend I was designated van driver, had left my car at his, came back car was more than full car length further down road with rear completely obliterated.

They caught the driver, police did great job also, found another car on same estate with front smashed in, driver had gone to pub in shock, yea right, was 3 times over the limit, turns out it he was a sergeant from nearby station, long story short he got away Scot free on all counts 🤔

Hope you do better than me.

• Sad 3

Thought I should update, I have to say the person who hit my car was politer, easier and more honest than the insurance company.

So we are away on holiday in next few days.

Hire Car:

Insurance company, yes, yes you can have a hire car.  Next day phone call from Enterprise car rental.  We have Ford Focus ready for you, meet the dogs.IMG_20230121_124632_HDR.thumb.jpg.12d3790c8a83b053b42ec144d663d8a8.jpg

There was a refusal to give us any larger car.

An absolute refusal to give us any  bigger car.  I highlighted that this would involve us cancelling our holiday.  As we could not all get the destination in the car they are offering no cares given.

Valuation: £1000

You find a large car with full MOT  for that.  With only age related marks.  The same model at same age was 2-3 times that when searching.

Some urgent searching a car cropped up on FB for car that ticks the boxes. For near enough £3k although both feel its a good deal.

Insurance company:

You cannot change insurance from your car, we have not written it off.

Yes on your email xxx date and time you clearly state, you have written it off.  No we didn't, oh yes you did. I have proof.

Apparently I became rude when I kept supplying evidence backed responses and he put the phone down.

Next day try again my daughter was present. 

She heard the whole conversation, first person we spoke to. As my daughter said was having a bad day and determined to make it every one else's problem.

Second Person - Same phone call yes I can do that. 

- All sorted £1k on way for last car. Apparently by contesting valuation, they would not accept my car as write-off and it could take weeks .  So I accepted valuation and problem solved.  They are now responsible for old car. Old car transferred to collection/ scrap company.

Pop online transfer insurance old car to new car job done.

Me 2k poorer however able to go on holiday in a 3 year newer car. 

4- 6 hours of my life wasted on hold to insurance companies.  

3 days annual leave spent dealing with this shit not working on my boat. 

Not a great result when there was nothing wrong with my old battle bus for my purposes.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Many moons ago I got involved in haggling over the valuation of a write off. Whilst we got a better offer it took ages and I had the hassle of storing the wreck. For an old car it's probably not worth your time, the extra would be a small margin. 

The only time I came out of it well was when I recovered a stolen bike, haggled a better valuation based on its condition and was then left with the bike sat in my garage for weeks. So I sent them a cheeky invoice for storage charges, which they promptly paid in full. 

• Like 3

Just got a letter from the police. The person has been released on unconditional bail and charged with….
I knew this as have had reports she has been seen walking past our house, already.

Failure to provide a specimen for analysis.

”What is the minimum penalty for failing to provide a specimen for analysis while driving or attempting to drive?

A 12 month driving disqualification and a band B fine (75 - 125% of relevant weekly income) is the minimum penalty imposed for this offence at Magistrates court.

What is the maximum penalty for failing to provide a specimen for analysis while driving or attempting to drive?

A lengthy driving disqualification of 5 years or more and a 26 week custodial sentence is the maximum penalty imposed for this offence at Magistrates court.“

So I did some homework, as they have no licence the punishment for driving off, no insurance, taking without permission are just driving bans and fines.

So kind of pointless to prosecute for.

• Sad 1

Just asked the question to them about other charges?

They said not enough evidence photos not clear enough, what more so they need witness that’s known her since school prepared to identify her 3-4 others who will state she was seen driving off. With photos to back up any statements.

With no licence, without permission (if not there’s a case for insurance fraud against mother for allowing her to take car).

There is Atleast driving away from scene of accident..

• Sad 1

On 26/07/2023 at 18:50, onesea said:

Just asked the question to them about other charges?

They said not enough evidence photos not clear enough, what more so they need witness that’s known her since school prepared to identify her 3-4 others who will state she was seen driving off. With photos to back up any statements.

With no licence, without permission (if not there’s a case for insurance fraud against mother for allowing her to take car).

There is Atleast driving away from scene of accident..

A little further update, neighbours happy to give evidence but do not want there names given out in court. For fear of repercusans from her drug dealer mates, so no statements given.

Do you not think the police should of told us the other witness have withdrawn for fear of retaliation?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 22/07/2023 at 17:04, billy sugger said:

That's what always makes me laugh when they hand out driving bans/points on a licence when the bloody scrote ain't got one in the first place

Screenshot_20230819-2032262.thumb.png.6b8da78ce959af9581747c42556f0093.png

That would be it then.

• Sad 1