Yet another heated grips question...

So the OEM heated grips died on the Tiger Explorer after a whisker under 12 months and 10,000 miles of mostly not being switched on. The seller sent a warranty request to Triumph who don't want to know. Partly because they didn't fit them; partly because they're end of line.

First world problems. 🌍

So I could go with Oxford hotgrips as a replacement, but wondered if there was anything out there that could re-use the 2 setting illuminated existing switch.

Any ideas?

4 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

but wondered if there was anything out there that could re-use the 2 setting illuminated existing switch.

Any ideas?

Doubtful. this has been a question asked for years by owners of the Africa Twin. as it's been quite hit and miss for people how effective the OEM heated grips are. not only do they want to replace them with some that use the same indicator lights and switch on the LHS handlebar, they also want some that will use the level setting tell tale on the display. But, Ive never seen a satisfactory answer that solves even one of those - let alone two. usually people resort to removing the OEM grips and replacing them completely. or using the heated wraps that are available.

Heated grips on mine are at best 'adequate'. they're not impressive. However I seldom need to use them as I spent on really good gloves rather than fret over the grips.

Personally, I think the issue with grips that dont get super hot is down to inadequate insulation between the element and the metal of the handlebars, so instead of the heat being pushed outwards its absorbed and channeled away by the cold metal underneath. total failure is another story.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

So the OEM heated grips died on the Tiger Explorer after a whisker under 12 months and 10,000 miles of mostly not being switched on. The seller sent a warranty request to Triumph who don't want to know. Partly because they didn't fit them; partly because they're end of line.

First world problems. 🌍

So I could go with Oxford hotgrips as a replacement, but wondered if there was anything out there that could re-use the 2 setting illuminated existing switch.

Any ideas?

Could you find out who manufactures the OEM? 

They're not likely to be made by Triumph, maybe it's known brand. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rennie said:

I still haven't sourced a replacement switch cover for mine

image.png

Might be worthwhile sending this seller a message. see if the ones he produces by 3d printing will fit your particular bike. he does mention a change in design in the description if the photos on the page doesn't quite match yours.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225002176840

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The throttle side on my OE Yam died and got replaced with the Ultimate Addons grips. Not bad after a few mins to warm up, and not to mention no stupid extra controller box having to be mounted on the handlebars

Edited by Fish

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Another question on heated grips (never had them on a bike before) - can you add grip puppies over them? 

Yes you can sir. They seem to work fine on mine; perhaps takes a couple of minutes longer to heat up.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, onesea said:

As above yes no problems, tip for putting grip puppies on.  

Compressed air, electric paddles board pump, or dinghy pump.

I can recommend these for 1/5 the price.

Grip puppies direct from China.

Don't buy from China if I can help it although chances are ones I buy here are made in China.  Not expensive though.