Dealer apathy

Two weeks ago I sent out requests to four dealers who might consider a part exchange for a new bike. I have a 23 plate Tracer 7GT with  less than 4k miles and lots of factory additions and my interest is a Tracer 9 GT. So far, not a single response. Is the used market so saturated that my bike has no value unless a private sale?

My local Honda dealer, yet again, appear to have no interest in responding yet their website has a smorgasboard of used bikes that are of interest to me. I continually have Arnold Clark asking me to consider selling my Renault Megane so I don't get why bike dealers are sitting on their hands. 

Brand dealers make good money selling new bikes with a good image to the brand by selling loads of new bikes.

Second hand ones are more of a pain to get rid of, plus they have to give you warranty themselves while a new bike the warranty comes from the manufacturer with juicy profits every time they have to action warranty on behalf of the costumer.

Frequently dealers create ghost repairs just to get either free spare parts that were never fitted or additional labour that was never done.

We all know cars are sold a lot more than bikes with both markets going downhill because of the current economy.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Perhaps you’re doing it wrong. I would be going to the dealership and express interest in whichever bike it is you want and then when it comes to discussing terms, bring up the subject of a trade-in. In my experience it’s often the dealer who mentions it first as it’s so normal.

Though you will always do better selling your bike privately and walking into a dealership with a wad of cash to tease them with.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

As Gerontious says, you need to visit in Person.

When I changed my bike I was looking to trade in a 19 year old bike. After testing the bike I was interested in I asked about px on my bike. They weren’t too interested so I said shame I’ll have to leave it. 
they then changed tack and offered a discount on the bike as they couldn’t officially give a px value on such an old bike.

deal was done and both parties happy.

• Like 4

I rode in to my now Guzzi dealer to have a random look at what they had. Saw something I liked and made an enquiry as to availability then after a bit of to and fro got a decent offer for px on the Multistrada and deal done. I suspect with it being early December there was some enthusiasm on the part of the dealer to shift stock. He hasn't made a quick buck selling it on either as according to DVLA website it's still not taxed.

• Like 1

I suspect dealers like most people who have to deal with that many headed monster known as the general public are inundated with time wasters who send out multiple emails expressing interest in something they're never going to follow through. 

Having wasted many hours my policy with all email expressions of interest is to invite them to come to see me in person. Only about 1 in 10 ever actually show up. 

• Like 2

agree with Husoi and gero, the only good and worthwhile time to actually walk into the dealer to twist their melon. this time of the year they are not quite as enthusiastic with sales and especially pxs. early to mid week, very early or late year are better chances of them...

Bugs Bunny No GIF by Looney Tunes

• Like 1

Took the bike in today  (23 plate Tracer 7GT, 4079 miles) for an evaluation against a new MT-09. I was after £7k and the dealer offered £6.5. I'll give it the weekend to think about it but yes, your advice to take the bike to them was spot on. 

• Like 1

If you can wait until near the end of quarter is when the dealers need to make up the sales for the reports.

Almost like car boot sales when the best deals are made near closing time 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

23 reg with only 4k on it …. They could only offer you about 50 to 55% of purchase price for it and would have difficulty shifting it with their added margin … so many people have no idea how much a vehicle value falls as the first buyer rides away … Vat and other taxes devalue  it as soon as you sign for it …

Some years ago I bought the only new bike I have ever owned .. A new model came out 8 months later and I returned to the dealer for a part ex … he offered me 45% of new price ….. 

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1