Rust on a brand new Honda CB500X...

Hi folks,

Recently I have discovered some rust on my brand new Honda CB500X. I did some research and seems I'm not the only one suffering from this. Seems rusting is quite common on every motorbike (even in the "premium" ones like the GS1250, Africa Twin, Tenere...) although this shouldn't happen. But what shouldn't be acceptable is to have rust on a NEW motorbike. Mine has 900km on it and in the month and half since I aquired it it has been always in a garaje and it han´t gotten wet yet. The Rust is in the gas tank (I spotted this rust even before using it for the first time) and in the "subframe" that holds the front headlight. I attach some pictures. 

This rust is nothing that I could fix just by polishing the affected areas, applying Zinc cathodic protection spray and then painting it but...on a brand new motorbike I will thell the dealer and see the response from Honda...

Also I discovered that it's a good practice to cover generously the entire bike (except the brakes and tires) with WD40 or ACF-50 to prevent it from any rusting after washing and drying the motorbike so it's a practice I'll do to keep it always clean and free from rust.

(Look at the last attached image, someone applied a black permanent marker to "hide" some rust spots, WTF duuuude)

IMG-20240502-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240502-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240502-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20240502-WA0005.jpg

• Sad 2

Why don't you just take it back to the dealer and have them sort it?

Just imagine how much worse it will get in a few years 🙄🤔

It’s new to you … but when it was made in Thailand, who knows how long ago, with high humidity and possible external storage it’s no surprise it’s rusting …  you’re right to get it back to the dealer 

Rust on a new bike is such a downer, it's should be happy days not hassle days. I got a new Triumph tiger 1050 sports in 2015, checked it over on collection from dealership, all looked shinny and good. Following weekend I went at with with the polish kit, rear mono shock, painted white had rust marks coming through the paint. Not good, Contacted dealer, sent photos of rust, took about 3 to 4 months to get Triumph to agree to swap out rusty shock for new one, they didn't want to pay for the labour charge, and here's a thing, neither did I ! 

Only kept the bike for 14 months, not impressed with the build quality, the condition of my 13 year old Thunderace, put it to shame. 

Make em sort it Bosco_RC, or it will keeping ticking away at you, AND cost you money.

The most disgusting thing is the fact that they unsuccessfully tried to hide the welding rust by painting with a permanent marker "to see if it doesn't show." Come ooon. I should expect a replacement of this sub-frame part. Even if they dont replace but to have as a spare part could work for me (well it's a labour to disassemble that part even to polish and repaint it properly).

I have extended warranty to 5 years and I don't know how long I'll keep this bike but my intention is to keep for a while and even more!. 

Let's see what the dealer says this afternoon

• Like 1

A few years back I wanted a replacement workhorse bike so looked at a new CB500. I then sought out dealers with used versions for sale that were a couple of years old. The signs of rust on such new bikes put me off buying a new one so I went for a 2006 CBF instead. The build quality back then was way better and it's been a cracking bike.

I hope the dealer sorts it out for you. That's not good on such a new bike. At least the ones I was checking were 2-3 years old.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well I went to the dealer explaining the rust issue...

This 15s video summarizes their response

Basically they told me Honda never accepts the fact that one of their bikes could be faulty and that Honda will always find an excuse to make someone else responsible of the fault (except an evident issue) sooo the dealer said to not worry about it and if the rust increases to go again so they make photos and send them to Honda.

I also asked if other customers complained about rust in their new bikes. They responded no. Apparently no one looks as much as I did to seek rusting

So, conclusion: I'll fix it for myself. Polishing and painting will do the job

But not a good thing from Honda 

Edited by Bosco_RC
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Bosco that is plainly not acceptable on a new bike. You need to write a letter to the supplying dealer and copy in Honda Uk puting them on notice there is rust appearing on a 2 month old bike and under the consumer rights 2015 a product has to be Fit for purpose of reasonable quality and last a reasonable length of time. It is not acceptable for rust to be appearing and you expect this to be resolved. Include pictures and any evidence you have. You have a warranty from honda but that is just something offered my manufactuers the Consummer rights act 2015 trumps this and it is law. Do not get fobbed off and dont sort the rust out yourself as the dealer will probably try yo blame you for the rust. 

If there is another Honda dealer in your area go for a ride and ask them for an opinion on the rust and what they would do. 

Set a timeline that you want a reply by or you will be taking it further.

Good luck.

Edited by Old-codger
  • Like 2

It's a bit of surface rust! If you think it's bad now, don't even think about riding through a UK winter!!!!! They REALLY "don't make 'em like they used to".

I too would like motorcycles to have better corrosion protection [or even the return of aluminium foot controls ] but it is not going to happen at our CB500 price points. Even new Ducati chains rust horribly! Apply plenty of XCP, [they do a clear version now] to all exposed parts, and just enjoy riding your bike while you still can....one day in the future we'll look back and think, "remember when motorcycling was allowed and petrol was dead cheap at £1.50 ltr, and WE worried about a bit of surface rust"!

• Haha 1

I found that all the weldings ends have a perimetral line of orange substance (well rust) of that subframe piece. Maybe it's better to wait until it rusts more and to go for warranty before it expires. Luckily, here in the north of Spain we only have salty roads less than 1 month a year so the rusting problem due to salt is lower. In any case I already covered the entire mortobike with WD40 to prevent any corrosion and to stop further rusting of thas subframe piece. Soon I'll get ACF-50 to replace the actual WD40

Best

I would be onto honda, social media is great for garnering a response.

Christ I've just been offered gift vouchers from timpsons because keys they cut were crap quality, I wouldn't be sleeping till  Neil Fletcher was round beginning for forgiveness.

• Haha 1

If the motorbike was not brand new probably I would disassemble some parts and paint them properly by aplying a protective layer and then a couple of paint layers so instead of needing to apply a rust blocker, the motorbike would be "rust-proof". When I went to Honda dealer I saw the same cb500x I own but used for 12k km and this piece had several rust spots in it 

image.thumb.jpeg.578d0beb10b472d61230783264ceeed2.jpeg

So I'll cover the entire bike with a rust protector

Yup, another maitenance cost to keep your bike as new. Seems a frecuent care and maitenance is mandatory if you want to keep your motorbike in good conditions. And if rust appears the best is to disassemble, polish and paint, with a better protective paint

On 04/05/2024 at 00:18, Bosco_RC said:

they told me Honda never accepts the fact that one of their bikes could be faulty and that Honda will always find an excuse to make someone else responsible of the fault

Just look at the aggro caused by the first Africa Twin wheels - rusty spokes galore yet Honda abjectly refused to accept responsibility...but then I don't believe any manufacturer cares about build quality or customer service these days.