Private plates....

Phil1

So, I've got a private plate on my car as many many people do..... What I want to talk about is private plates on bikes. 

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a single bike with a private plate on, ever in my entire life. And I've been around bikes most my life (all 37 years).

I'm guessing there's absolutely nothing preventing anyone from doing so, It's a vehicle, it's registered the same as a car so it is possible im my logical brain.

Is there anyone here with a private plate on their bike?

How would you react if you ever saw a private plate on a bike?

Do you think you'd think the rider was a bit of a dick if you did see one?

Would you consider it?

Any further comments?

Ive seen loads on bikes over the years mostly to do with Model or engine size in the numbers or letters. 

Personally not my sort of thing I dont see the point.

• Like 1

Don't really see the point but when I bought my Guzzi I had a choice of plates and unfortunately the one with GZI had been taken the previous day. Otherwise no. Don't see the point. 

• Like 1

Thought about it for the Thunderbird. No serious plans, but looking through what's available is strangely therapeutic.

1 hour ago, Capt Sisko said:

I've got one on my bike but know one would know it. It's just my initials, year born and month.

All we need now is your bank account number 😁

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

All we need now is your bank account number 😁

That’s on his car. 👍

• Haha 3

I've got a private plate on my moto. Totally unique , no-one else has one, and it never cost me a sous.  The government gave me it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I wouldn’t mind one, mostly so I can have a much smaller plate while at the same time remaining completely legal. A four digit would be great but these tend to be very expensive. Five digit are more affordable and can be fairly small depending on the letters and numbers used - ideally a “no date” with a couple of 1’s and I’s. But at the end of the day this is just vanity and I have other priorities.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

I remember the paddock area at Elvington on top speed event there were a lot of Hayabusas showing BU54 with various endings, the best was BU54 BHP in my opinion.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Never had one on either a car or a motorbike, I like to be as anonymous as I can on the road in case I do something wrong. I can see why others like them and if I could get a decent one cheap I might, but decent ones seem pricey.

I loathe the ones where people mess with the plastics screws to change numbers to letters, if you can't afford the right thing don't fake it.

There was a small fiesta size car knocking round here a few years ago with the reg X3, that must be worth a fair bit.

1 hour ago, Geordie Oldie said:

There was a small fiesta size car knocking round here a few years ago with the reg X3, that must be worth a fair bit.

it would be worth a substantial fraction of a million pounds.

its not unusual to see highly valuable plates on affordable vehicles. It’s a completely safe investment. 2 digit plates are normally owned by cities. Or undertakers. Or the super wealthy.

i bet there’s a very interesting story behind it showing up on a fiesta.

my funny story about a special plate. I was on the M1 heading south and came across a Bentley. It’s number plate was MAG1C.

I slowed down to admire it. (I’ve always liked Bentleys) and eventually carried on. Stopped at  Toddington for a smoke and in pulled the Bentley and parked very close to me. The driver got out. He was remarkably short and looked at me. I said Hello… hope I didn’t make you nervous, but I’ve always admired Bentleys and I Love your number plate. He said that’s ok mate and he went into the services with his wife. It was Paul Daniels.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

it would be worth a substantial fraction of a million pounds.

its not unusual to see highly valuable plates on affordable vehicles. It’s a completely safe investment. 2 digit plates are normally owned by cities. Or undertakers. Or the super wealthy.

i bet there’s a very interesting story behind it showing up on a fiesta.

my funny story about a special plate. I was on the M1 heading south and came across a Bentley. It’s number plate was MAG1C.

I slowed down to admire it. (I’ve always liked Bentleys) and eventually carried on. Stopped at  Toddington for a smoke and in pulled the Bentley and parked very close to me. The driver got out. He was remarkably short and looked at me. I said Hello… hope I didn’t make you nervous, but I’ve always admired Bentleys and I Love your number plate. He said that’s ok mate and he went into the services with his wife. It was Paul Daniels.

Lovely story, may his chirpy little soul rest in peace 

• Like 1

There's no such thing as a "vanity plate" in France. The nearest to such a thing is a pair of Presidential Citroen SM's with the numbers 2-PR-75   and 3-PR-75 but these are rarely seen nowadays.

There is also a rumour that people like Johnny Halliday and Jacques Anquetil had very individual registration plates, but I've never seen them.

When I mention the subject to French people they're somewhat bemused and class it as "un folie anglaise"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, curlylegend said:

There's no such thing as a "vanity plate" in France. The nearest to such a thing is a pair of Presidential Citroen SM's with the numbers 2-PR-75   and 3-PR-75 but these are rarely seen nowadays.

There is also a rumour that people like Johnny Halliday and Jacques Anquetil had very individual registration plates, but I've never seen them.

When I mention the subject to French people they're somewhat bemused and class it as "un folie anglaise"

I don't think you can even tell the age of the vehicle from the plate?

4 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I don't think you can even tell the age of the vehicle from the plate?

That's right. You can't even tell where the car was first registered on the later type plates because the addition of the regional number is now optional.