F**k It

Guest noob_biker

Wrong way round Bogof !

petrol engines will run on diesel with no ill effects.(apart from smoke)

Diesel engines won't run on petrol because they rely on the oil in the diesel

for lubrication.

It doesn't matter though.

Glad you rescued it in time Bob :D

i think its not that easy - there is no ignition system in diesel engines, it fires due to pressure afaik, but i am not sure what happens with the petrol, when it is under high pressure but without any sparks

deisel engines work because of the deisel effect. this is when a fuel ignites because of pressure and heat. petrol engines rely on a spark to ignite the fuel.

deisel fuel has a low octane by design so that it will burn in a deisel engine. petrol has a much higher octane so you can control the ignition.

the higher the octane of the fuel, the higher the resistance to the deisel effect. this means you can control exactly when the spark ignites the fuel; so you can tune the ignition retard/advance for power etc.

putting deisel in a petrol engine means that it will ignite, but not precisely when you want it to. it'll pre-ignite, hence very rough running, low power. and it will smoke like a bast*rd.

putting higher octane petrol into a diesel engine means that the fuel will resist the ignition(based on pressure,not spark) and the engine will not run.

neither is desirable for your engine. both will need draining. neither will do much damage as you cant run the engine properly so the potential damage is limited.

deisel engines are more complex to drain as you will need drain it completely and then have the deisel fuel system primed.

deisel engines work because of the deisel effect. this is when a fuel ignites because of pressure and heat. petrol engines rely on a spark to ignite the fuel.

deisel fuel has a low octane by design so that it will burn in a deisel engine. petrol has a much higher octane so you can control the ignition.

the higher the octane of the fuel, the higher the resistance to the deisel effect. this means you can control exactly when the spark ignites the fuel; so you can tune the ignition retard/advance for power etc.

putting deisel in a petrol engine means that it will ignite, but not precisely when you want it to. it'll pre-ignite, hence very rough running, low power. and it will smoke like a bast*rd.

putting higher octane petrol into a diesel engine means that the fuel will resist the ignition(based on pressure,not spark) and the engine will not run.

neither is desirable for your engine. both will need draining. neither will do much damage as you cant run the engine properly so the potential damage is limited.

deisel engines are more complex to drain as you will need drain it completely and then have the deisel fuel system primed.

I tried reading that but then I realised I was in danger of learning something and it is Friday after all. I'm on countdown to wine o'clock....currently 7pm after I've been to the gym :)

F**K it...got to wait 5 hours!

You know all of that.. but not how to spell diesel :lol:

You know all of that.. but not how to spell diesel :lol:

my spilling is appealing. f**k it.

The AA reckon it causes major damage!!

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Membershi ... ssist.aspx

But they are trying to sell their service!...... :wink:

The guys who drained my tank reckon it should be OK.....and it was running OK today.....but what longer term effects it may have I'll have to wait and see...... :wink:

The AA reckon it causes major damage!!

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Membershi ... ssist.aspx

But they are trying to sell their service!...... :wink:

The guys who drained my tank reckon it should be OK.....and it was running OK today.....but what longer term effects it may have I'll have to wait and see...... :wink:

yep, thats my thoughts too... scare mongering!! they the go on to say:

If you've added less than 10% petrol (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) – Top up with diesel and run normally unless the manufacturer has advised otherwise

AND

If you've added less than 10% (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) diesel – the tank can be topped up with petrol and the car run normally unless the manufacturer has advised otherwise

but what longer term effects it may have I'll have to wait and see...... :wink:

Sell it quick!!! ;)

Its a well known practise amongst landroverers that use them in very cold climates, they add a gallon of petrol to a tank of diesel to stop it freezing up in arctic temperatures.

It works too, I have a friend in the Highlands, and he was having troubles with his disco running rough and stopping after about 40 minutes of driving last winter, I told him to try adding some petrol to the mix and it was an instant cure.

if you have a new car, and wrong fuel it, don't tell them as it invalidates your warranty. Just get it recovered and drained by someone that is not a dealer.

Rained all the way to the MOT today then stopped as we got there, F**k it! :cry:

Bike passed so was feeling happy an decided to leave the bike out when I got back ready for a little ridette later :D

Started raining again and now the met office reckons hail and I didn't get the bike in the garage before it got wet! F**k it again :evil:

Rained all the way to the MOT today then stopped as we got there, F**k it! :cry:

Bike passed so was feeling happy an decided to leave the bike out when I got back ready for a little ridette later :D

Started raining again and now the met office reckons hail and I didn't get the bike in the garage before it got wet! F**k it again :evil:

Quick...it's sunny out there now..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Quick...it's sunny out there now..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Yeah and the 'hail' warning disappeared as soon as I put the bike away :evil:

My bus got attacked by a mentallist woman today, long story I have alreayd told too many times at work, but basically, I got caught in roadworks by a taxi, on the phone parking halfway through, and the cars behind took offense and decided I had held them up. Two tried to ram the front of the bus by pulling up in front, and then a woman got out, pushed the emergency door button and got on and gave me 2 minutes of torrential abuse. I just sat there and pointed to all the cctv cameras, and then rang the police.

There's an area in Bristol where it is very 'ethnic' and they have about 4 sets of temp lights at roadworks, and people are absolutely at boiling point.

Oh well, start again Monday.

There's an area in Bristol where it is very 'ethnic' and they have about 4 sets of temp lights at roadworks, and people are absolutely at boiling point.

:shock: tut tut matthew. :angel12:

• 2 weeks later...

Spent hours 'prepping' rear mudguard.

Applied 3 coats of primer - great!

Applied 2 coats of undercoat - great!

Applied 2 coats of top coat (Black Acrylic) - great!

Ran out of paint but knew I had another part full tin somewhere - found it and gave a shake - enough for another coat.

Applied 1 coat of top coat (Black Double-Acrylic) - Paint 'bubbled' - now got an 'egg-shell' finish!

Bu@@er!

Why did this happen?

I'll need to start again!

F**k It!!!!!

:evil:

• 2 weeks later...

OK - sanded down and another undercoat applied - New paint in the post. However....... Wife says 'you can't go t'domms match as you are doing a BBQ (this Saturday) - Weather forecast... "COLD, Windy and a real chance of heavy rain" F**k It!!!!!!

Briliant Weekend Weather and No back wheel!!!!!

F**k It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!