What music have you been listening to recently?

Guest Legatron

5 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Me also but I can`t help being fascinated by those ceiling speakers !

DML, Distributed mode Loudspeakers.  I had heard about them a number of years ago but it was only recently that I could get a hold of the Exciters at a decent price. The panel can be made from anything fairly thin and stiff . I used a sheet of 40mm thick extruded polystyrene which was enough for two speakers. The exciters are something like a very chunky tweeter but has rather different qualities. It doesn't have a cone to vibrate and transmit sound, it vibrates the whole panel its bonded to.

Advantages are very broad frequency range. Means I'm hearing high notes as well as low notes at a comfortably low volume. And the sound is crystal clear !

You can hang them from the ceiling or the wall, positioning isn't that important.

And CHEAP ! I spent a fraction of what I spent on the previous speakers. Total cost was about  € 50.00  and a couple of hours shaping and painting the panels.

27.02  Startin build of DML Speakers at Rue de la Fosse aux Loups  (1).JPG

28.02  More work on DML Speakers at Rue de la Fosse aux Loups  (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not heard the jamo and roger names for a while. My jamo sub died a death (amp) quite spectacular once many years ago...🫨🔥.

I like the little engine on the sub but really not really ment to put stuff ontop of that 😅.

Also like the little douk valve amp.

you understand the noise cancelling? 

similar to the nxts flat speakers back in the day...but diy.

nice little set up.

position can be important depending on the room, systems used( speakers the same as possible etc. To get the best out of it if the amp is able to tweak it to suit.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2024 at 18:40, S-Westerly said:

Obviously I have strayed in to some alternative universe where the language spoken is "English but not as we know it Jim".

Pretty normal for me, working with the rampaging schizophrenics. often the best strategy is to look interested and nod vigorously, while backing away slowly with an escape route in mind.

• Haha 1

On 14/01/2024 at 18:40, S-Westerly said:

Obviously I have strayed in to some alternative universe where the language spoken is "English but not as we know it Jim".

It feels a little like when I was working in an IT department. When talking to the techies  I understood most of the words, many of the phrases, some of the sentences but rarely the whole exchange of information. 

Back to the original question. I can’t get Spotify (other streaming services are available) on my Denon kit, so it’s back to the content of an old iPod which has a quite eclectic mix of music in it. Brooke Benton, Lindisfarne, Cat Stevens, Beatles, Kinks… 

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

Not bad for an imaginary guitar solo. but ultimately, who gives a f**K anyway?

one of many favourites from this man. sadly missed. even 30 years later.

imho

best zapper tune

@Vic101 Great song. I love this version. The crowd were pissed off, I think Stevie Wonder was supposed to be playing and he wouldn't go on for some reason or other so she got sent out and won them over with her Singing.

On 14/01/2024 at 01:11, RideWithStyles said:

Not heard the jamo and roger names for a while. My jamo sub died a death (amp) quite spectacular once many years ago...🫨🔥.

I like the little engine on the sub but really not really ment to put stuff ontop of that 😅.

Also like the little douk valve amp.

you understand the noise cancelling? 

similar to the nxts flat speakers back in the day...but diy.

nice little set up.

position can be important depending on the room, systems used( speakers the same as possible etc. To get the best out of it if the amp is able to tweak it to suit.

It doesn't normally sit there, it was only there because I'm shuffling stuff about at the moment to get a suitable point for M.Orange to supply me with a Fibre Internet port.

The wee Douk is a real bargain. That's in the kitchen driving the DML's, because for one reason or another it's where I listen to most of my music.

The salon, where the Rodgers and Jamos are, is a Hi Fi nightmare because of the size and shape.  I really just sit in there to watch TV now and I'm actually using a pair of quite good Bluetooth headphones for the audio.

The kitchen isn't a problem due to the shape and where I sit. With the DML's you could close your eyes and you could believe the musicians were in the room.

• Like 1