What music have you been listening to recently?

Guest Legatron

At the moment I’m just listening to music on my phone. It’s the end of an era. My Amplifier has died a horrible death. Hard to believe I bought it in 1985!! It was a Mission Cyrus One and though other components have come and gone that little amp just chugged along - 39 years!! Now I just have a very lonely looking pair of Linns.

its been a long time since I dipped my toe in the murky ocean of HiFi. I have a feeling life is going to be a bit expensive for a while.

does anyone else listen to music on separates?

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

We've got a Bang & Olafsen deck which my wife bought with an inheritance back in 1983. It sits in the living room gathering dust while we listen to music via an amazon echo and Spotify.  Shameful really.

Used to listen on separates years ago.

Ahhhh Mission 🥰, used to have a pair of their "bookshelf" speakers which were brilliant and not fussed about what they were paired with or placed where really either but sounded great which is very difficult thing to do nowadays.

unfortunately just not a good idea to have about while family were so young  so the compromise on the terms that's they were on the floor (audiophile wise is a no!)but they survived that only for the sister in law kiboshed one while borrowing them or something 😰.

Currently a yama receiver at about 5years old (got that before the tv were updated so it was really essential at the time), cam audio satellites and sub set up for space.

it works and does stuff like tv, comps and music like we/i want it to.

Currently the receiver is the oldest of the tech at at least 5 years old.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

We've got a Bang & Olafsen deck which my wife bought with an inheritance back in 1983. It sits in the living room gathering dust while we listen to music via an amazon echo and Spotify.  Shameful really.

Yep crying shame. 

When i was young there used to be an expensive audio shop with B&O in a small town, nice stuff to grawp at. Second hand if in good nick still quite collectible apparently.

Edited by RideWithStyles

7 hours ago, Gerontious said:

does anyone else listen to music on separates

Guilty. The kids pipe there music from phones through bluetooth tinny speakers, the convenience is better I'll give them that but the sound is rubbish. Spotify etc is the future but that doesn't stop me living in the past.

🤘

But thats like saying -hey kids i can feed you through a straw cos its very convenient, i don't think that will down too well.

Funny thing to say that " modern music is just trash so its a waste on quality equipment" Now i sound old...

spoti "and other providers available" still help you live in the past just with a bit more convenience. You could change a item to smooth out the sharpness of modern/digital changes of the music.

• Like 1

Still keeping my Squeezebox setup alive from the early 2000s. Have a few of them around the house hooked into hifi separates, bookshelf speakers or standalone units. They play flac files from a central server, as well as radio streams and Spotify. Brilliant system, shame they killed it off.

LogitechSqueezebox_0.thumb.jpg.4ae54c06ac8bb4a44466419c09abcebe.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

But thats like saying -hey kids i can feed you through a straw cos its very convenient, i don't think that will down too well.

Funny thing to say that " modern music is just trash so its a waste on quality equipment" Now i sound old...

spoti "and other providers available" still help you live in the past just with a bit more convenience. You could change a item to smooth out the sharpness of modern/digital changes of the music.

Not sure what you really mean there. 

The kids have always been around music and we took them to enough festivals and the like. Guitars and keyboard etc in the house, they listen to whatever they like.

I actively encourage them to listen through the better amp and speakers to get a fuller sound. I've made my peace with digital storage.

Ok 🙂, short you can only conv something to a point till its just plain wrong.

thing is its just that everyones hearing is different and what one persons view of;

engagement can be bright or brash.

smooth and mellow could be dull and disinterest.

its hard enough if the artist used a good recording studio and equipment to start off with, which then again brings round everyone is different again...

im for it as adapting for a good while now but all im saying is you can change components out to get how you like it even if they screw it up in converting.

Neither my wife or I can carry a tune in a paper bag. She can read music but I can't. However my son is quite musical and both my older grandsons are musical - guitars and keyboards and to my tin ear sound quite good. 

Ive always been a bit of a dreamer. Back in the 80's I would look on agog at excruciatingly expensive  Valve amps - still being manufactured despite the fact that the valves they needed hadn't been made for 30 years or so.You could at the time send them away to be reconditioned. but new replacements were impossible to find. Fast forward to today and Valve amps are borderline cheap and Valves are once again being produced based on designer that date back to the 1950s.

Not too long ago finding anyone that made an affordable and good turntable was also next to impossible. Now they are plentiful and quite a few of the best are made in England.

Similarly 10 years ago CD players all but disappeared as the factories in Japan stopped producing the laser components that they need. But also thats changed too. CD players are coming back. I was looking at one last night at work thats made in a factory in Southend on sea!!

I was so amazed by that, and its a brand Ive know for donkeys years that after looking at reviews (for hours) I bit the bullet and ordered an amplifier. It will be here tomorrow.

My Mission was made in Huntingdon - back in the day. This new one is made in Southend. It has a turntable input, which I dont really need. A small increase in power. And, despite it being made by hand in England - its actually cheaper than my antique. (allowing for inflation) actually a 1/3rd cheaper. The CD player they make, also by hand is a rather different matter. Im not sure I can justify the price. But, we'll see. I have been known to splash out.

It is very nice though... hand made in the UK.

Imagine that. a CD player made in the UK.

Saturn mk3.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 4