UK Challenge 100 2016 - Discussion Thread

Grumpy Old Git

Pub called the Exhibition???

theres one just around the corner from the tag in York city centre :mrgreen:

Well spotted!

You will find most pubs are close to another 'main' tag. Although, it may need a bit of investigative preparation when you plan your route.

8-)

A pic of your tag by the entrance sign of the destination is proof enough..... 8-)

Go get 'em, guys....... :cheers:

Does that mean the Castle only needs to be in the background so when I start my deteriorating circles to the entrance I can stop where said landmark is identifiable and in shot?

Thanks GOG seems there is more miles to do this year and maybe a camping trip to get a decent score...

A couple of observation not complaint the links from the photo thread could do with correcting...

Links should be OK (Stu 'sorts these for me as I am hopeless at such 'modern' thingies).

Preferably, a sign with the Castle name (usually found near the entrance) is better than a distant shot of a 'pile of old stones'!

A helpful tip is to use google maps and 'ground view' the location (including approach road) - you can usually spot signs and get a view of what you need to look for. It's what I do when researching the tags. I even had Stu volunteer to check out the one near him and, after discussion, we decided it was 'OK' (see Stu's previous comment). We were reluctant to remove this one as there are very few alternatives in that area of the country.

:cheers:

Well - Best laid plans, etc.

I had decided that I needed to get out on t'bike and therefore planned to do 'East Anglia' tags and sweep up the pubs on my return. However......

After an hour in the rain, I decided to limit the trip to Castle Rising Castle and Castle Acre Castle (thought about Norwich Castle but by then the rain was really well set in.

I'll say this about the Rocket - As long as you are moving at 30 or more, you stay dry (apart from the lower legs)!

Met a fellow biker at Castle Rising but he had 'never heard of TMBF' - Well he has now! Whether he joins or not, we shall have to wait and see. His name is Phil and he rides a 600 Bandit.

Pubs will have to wait until next weekend.

:cheers:

Since CGD217 got his good lady to hold the sign I have suggested she register as well. I don't know if she went as a pillion or not, but pillions can register and score points as well.

Hi Ian

She was on the back on my bike, unfortunately she only has a provisional licence. I've PM'd you back.

Chris.

On the subject of the East Anglia tags. I'd imagine I may need an over night in order to get them all. As there are a fair few out that way, do you have any recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing some looking round for affordable places to stop over and I stumbled across this little place.

Seeing as its near one of this years Tags it could make a great one night stop particularly for a small group:

http://www.portlandbunkhouse.com/index.php

I am not linked or related etc etc..

I'm looking to take a summer trip this year and pick up a few tags. Spent a week in Cornwall last year with the family and got a few. Looking to take a week this year with a buddy and collect a few more.

I'm not the rough it or tent type so will see if I can get Premiere inn or some one like that to do a discount on the few nights away.

:shock: Just seen Bonniebird's EPIC pub crawl pics and as I don't want Rennie shouting at me for writing stuff in the PICS ONLY thread I shall doff my hat here! :thumb: Nice return to the saddle!

You are putting the rest of us to shame though! :oops:

Hhhuuuuuumm. The nearest "exhibition" pub to me is 70 mile away according to google. Not sure I can do that and the other nine in 90 minutes, and keep to the speed limits. :wink: