The recent Poppy debate.

Westbeef

What are your thoughts on this? A lot of attention is being put on this, in particular regarding the upcoming England Vs Scotland football match. The FA are trying to say it's a political statement, when it's far from that. I think it is a persons choice whether they wear one or not, there seems to be a lot of people making a big outcry about the fact people should have to wear one. I disagree, people may have reasons to wear one, or reasons not to wear one and that's entirely their decision, it doesn't make them a bad person either way.

Also the BBC seem to impose this on their TV presenters, and they have been wearing one since the 3rd week in October - over 3 weeks before Armistice day.

I think sod football I'll watch my NHL. Where they use army camo ice hockey kits and do a hell of a lot more charity work than footballers.

But FIFA can go f**k themselves, if players want to wear a poppy they should. I don't always wear one, but I still remember what my Grandad and Great Uncle did for the country. Grandad was one of the paras who went by glider to secure Pegasus Bridge and my great uncle was captured and made to work on the Thai- Burma railway at or next to a particular bridge they did a film about..

My opinion is it should be personal choice. The Poppies are known as a symbol of remembrance and respect.

Demanding people wear something out of "respect" when they wish not to is disrespectful in my eyes.

Equally, forbidding people not to wear a national symbol of respect is disrespectful too.

Wear it, don't wear it - but don't throw a hissy fit when a governing body decrees it goes against their rules.

There was nothing to stop a poppy tifo at the match, there was nothing to prevent a poppy being shown on screens during the anthem. Strikes me it's just petulance on the part of some in the FA and SFA.

The point, so I'm led to believe, is to respect the dead. Belligerence over having a flower depicted on a sleeve doesn't serve that end to my mind.

The abuse levelled at any public figure daring not to wear one for a month, or the compulsion in some circles, illustrates how political it has become.

I thought the whole point was that on one day in the year, the 'Nation' could if they wished, pay respect to the fallen in all wars. I don't know where this 'month' business came from and I don't agree with it. I believe it waters down the impact and the sincerity of the act of wearing a poppy.

It's a choice thing and a sign of remembrance. Forcing the hand imo is as bad as arranged marriage and forced religion.

On the other hand we have companies such as pound land and boots that are sending staff home again if they come in with a poppy that is sickening

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In my opinion FIFA should not be involved. The Poppy is neither a religious symbol or a political symbol. It should be down to the individual player to wear or not wear.

No one should be forced/pressured into wearing one and likewise if someone wishes to wear one they should not be penalised.

The individuals choice.

Having read into it further, apparently FIFA imposed this a while ago and it was banning any "political, religious OR personal statements", which changes the view slightly as it's not specific to this sentiment.

Having read into it further, apparently FIFA imposed this a while ago and it was banning any "political, religious OR personal statements", which changes the view slightly as it's not specific to this sentiment.

Basically FIFA banned EVERYTHING so in theory there shouldn't be any bitching about things as EVERYTHING that is non standard kit/sponsors is BANNED.

But as usual people like bitching about stuff saying FIFA have banned poppies because thats a better headline than FIFA have banned everything. They seem to think because we're playing Scotland and not Germany it's fine to wear them.

I don't think in the football match they should wear them because them's the rules.

Outside of football people can do whatever they want, although I do agree it's ridiculous that there is a witch hunt any time someone is seen on TV without one from mid- october onwards. :roll:

Solution: they should all get the poppy tattooed on their faces or shaved into their hair.

I'm with Hoggs, if it's a rule for everyone and everything then you can't really expect an exception without everyone wanting ones, and lines blur rather rapidly in that sort of circumstance.

Wow those FIFA guys are so politically correct.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/03/17/fifaseven_3318978b-large_trans++pJliwavx4coWFCaEkEsb3kvxIt-lGGWCWqwLa_RXJU8.jpg

I wear a poppy.

But my "scottish" team have issues each year concerning the wearing of them. Large sections of their support base disagree with them being on the shirts.

Each to there own i suppose.

But knack all to do with FIFA.

Fifa basically want players to be players on a field and no more. They want them to all be the same, and be good little boys and do what they are told, all be sheep and not to "baa" any different to each other.

Footballers are actually people, with their own opinions on things. Just like news reporters and TV presenters. They should be allowed to wear a poppy if they wish, when they wish to.

Fifa basically want players to be players on a field and no more. They want them to all be the same, and be good little boys and do what they are told, all be sheep and not to "baa" any different to each other.

Footballers are actually people, with their own opinions on things. Just like news reporters and TV presenters. They should be allowed to wear a poppy if they wish, when they wish to.

Perhaps, but they are contracted to clubs that form part of a private corporation which sells its product globally. If it changes the rules to say symbolism on uniforms is banned, then so be it. Obviously, the Premier League imposes no such rule.

However, Fifa does, and as a member we should respect their decision or grow some bollocks and leave. Its a corrupt and defunct governing body anyway.

...as a member we should respect their decision or grow some bollocks and leave. Its a corrupt and defunct governing body anyway.

*thumps nonexistent like button*

Dammit. Where's the like butto - hey, wait a minute...

button_lime_green.png

Fifa should sort out their own problems.

The cartoon by Matt on yesterday's Telegraph front page summed it up perfectly:

Two Fifa members saying "This tribute to the fallen - what's in it for us?"

No need for anything like that in football.

However if teams, clubs, players want to do that then that is fine IMO. That is their choice.

But it wasn't an issue 5 years or so ago, now everyone wants to out-poppy everyone else, and say they remember/respect etc way more than anyone else.

The whole poppy issue has been hijacked. Even the likes of BBC force anyone on their channels to wear them before going on.

Becoming ridiculous.

I remember the fallen from WW1 & 2 in my own way, in my own time.

I don't need a charity badge to do it or show how much respect I have for those people.

But I wont donate to the charity now as this has changed to include more current conflicts which I don't agree with.

Help For Heroes is supposed to be for current conflicts survivors is it not ?

Nobody should be shamed for wearing or not wearing a charity badge, nor for donating or not donating.

It is their choice, and nobody knows what others do to pay their respects.

Government officials complaining about it are the worst though.

They send these poor folk out to die basically then claim their football teams should be allowed to wear a badge showing their lack of support for them on their return ?

They send these poor folk out to die basically then claim their football teams should be allowed to wear a badge showing their lack of support for them on their return ?

Cheaper than providing them with adequate mental health provision and secure accommodation.